Antiabortion lawmakers want to block patients from crossing state lines

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Land of the free my ass. We are going to be living in our own dystopian novel if the far right have their way.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I can't stop thinking about this 10 year old who was fortunate to have a caring doctor in an anti-abortion state.

https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/202 ... 788415001/
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

It would not get by SCOTUS.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Kavanaugh doesn’t seem to support this and IDK if Republicans is gonna risk pissing their own base off since out of state abortions is the primary choice for people who hide it.
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

So far, the only thing they can push is the civil lawsuit loophole that Texas used. And that will only go so far because several states have passed laws basically saying they won't cooperate or honor any lawsuits or criminal prosecution attempts. So sure, someone can file a lawsuit and possibly even win, but lots of good it does when the person who was sued lives in a state that won't even entertain the judgment or garnishment order.

Side note to add that I'd read somewhere that one state was considering using sniffer dogs in airports to locate pregnant women awaiting flights, but not sure exactly what they think they can do because they can't legally bar the woman from flying out of state.
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Murdoc's Mistress wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:54 pm So far, the only thing they can push is the civil lawsuit loophole that Texas used. And that will only go so far because several states have passed laws basically saying they won't cooperate or honor any lawsuits or criminal prosecution attempts. So sure, someone can file a lawsuit and possibly even win, but lots of good it does when the person who was sued lives in a state that won't even entertain the judgment or garnishment order.

Side note to add that I'd read somewhere that one state was considering using sniffer dogs in airports to locate pregnant women awaiting flights, but not sure exactly what they think they can do because they can't legally bar the woman from flying out of state.
My understanding is that these states are going after women who travel to another state for an abortion, not the providers in other states. If someone can sue a woman who has an abortion, does it matter if the abortion is legally obtained in another state? I read that Planned Parenthood in Montana(?) has stoped providing medical abortions to women who are not Montana residents, not to punish out of state women but to protect them. Women who opt for medical abortions often are given medication to facilitate the abortion that is taken days later at home. These women run the risk of breaking their state laws.

The hoops that these states are jumping through to punish women is frightening.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Murdoc's Mistress
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:17 pm
Murdoc's Mistress wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:54 pm So far, the only thing they can push is the civil lawsuit loophole that Texas used. And that will only go so far because several states have passed laws basically saying they won't cooperate or honor any lawsuits or criminal prosecution attempts. So sure, someone can file a lawsuit and possibly even win, but lots of good it does when the person who was sued lives in a state that won't even entertain the judgment or garnishment order.

My understanding is that these states are going after women who travel to another state for an abortion, not the providers in other states. If someone can sue a woman who has an abortion, does it matter if the abortion is legally obtained in another state? I read that Planned Parenthood in Montana(?) has stoped providing medical abortions to women who are not Montana residents, not to punish out of state women but to protect them. Women who opt for medical abortions often are given medication to facilitate the abortion that is taken days later at home. These women run the risk of breaking their state laws.

The hoops that these states are jumping through to punish women is frightening.
It's beyond mind boggling that these states think they even have the right to dictate what a person does outside of their state. One lawmaker twisted it to imply that women traveling across state lines for abortion care are being trafficked and since they prosecute those who traffic children across state lines, they should be able to prosecute those who "traffic women for abortion".

If and when the first prosecutions happen, I hope people rise up, break into the court houses, jails, etc, free the women and those who helped them and take out anyone who tries to stop them. I'm fed up and many can say violence accomplishes nothing, but this peaceful rally shit isn't going to change their minds. Maybe getting the shit beat out of them while we free imprisoned women and their helpers will make them wake the f**k up.
You were born an original, don't die a copy.
Locked Previous topicNext topic