DH just talked to my step kids lawyer because they are taking BM to court in hopes of living with us full time

Anonymous 1

Unread post

The step kids didn't mention anything to anyone. They are 16 and 15. They want to move in with us full time. They are sick of living with their mom. The custody order originally was placed where we live so that court still has jurisdiction. The kids have had their own lawyer for a few years after advice from a mediator and their GAL. That way they can have fair and unbiased representation in court.

Bm moved away years ago. At that time the kids wanted to go with her so DH didn't fight it. Now they want to come back and have set everything up themselves.

I personally do not like the way they have went about this but DH seems unbothered by it. BM will be served paperwork informing her of the court date which is going to be a massive blind side.

I don't blame the kids for wanting to live here full time. I know they regretted the decision they made to move awhile ago. They miss their friends and family. They want to go to college here and get in state tuition.

I just feel like this whole thing is shady and that is going to make things worse. BM is not going to react well at all. There will be drama. Both their lawyer and DHs lawyer say that they will win in court. It makes sense because of their age. I just wish this was handled differently.
User avatar
RIZZY
Viscountess
Viscountess
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:52 pm

Unread post

What makes it shady? Also, how are they paying a lawyer? I'm intrigued...
Anonymous 1

Unread post

RIZZY wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:40 pm What makes it shady? Also, how are they paying a lawyer? I'm intrigued...
They could have told us the plans before it was set up. They didn't say anything to Dh just had their lawyer do it for them.

BM won't know until she is served papers, that is shady. She isn't some crazy or abusive person. Hiding it from her is going to make her more upset.

There is a fund in place to pay the lawyer.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Trolling back under bumpitybumpbump I see. LOL get a life.
User avatar
RIZZY
Viscountess
Viscountess
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2022 3:52 pm

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:46 pm
RIZZY wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:40 pm What makes it shady? Also, how are they paying a lawyer? I'm intrigued...
They could have told us the plans before it was set up. They didn't say anything to Dh just had their lawyer do it for them.

BM won't know until she is served papers, that is shady. She isn't some crazy or abusive person. Hiding it from her is going to make her more upset.

There is a fund in place to pay the lawyer.
I wouldn't call it shady. They're nearly grown but they don't have the same reasoning capabilities as adults. They're just children trying to save themselves. Have you had a chance to ask them why they chose this route? Did the lawyer suggest it? Maybe they thought mom would freak out either way. Maybe they thought Dad would say no. Who knows.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

RIZZY wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:13 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:46 pm
RIZZY wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:40 pm What makes it shady? Also, how are they paying a lawyer? I'm intrigued...
They could have told us the plans before it was set up. They didn't say anything to Dh just had their lawyer do it for them.

BM won't know until she is served papers, that is shady. She isn't some crazy or abusive person. Hiding it from her is going to make her more upset.

There is a fund in place to pay the lawyer.
I wouldn't call it shady. They're nearly grown but they don't have the same reasoning capabilities as adults. They're just children trying to save themselves. Have you had a chance to ask them why they chose this route? Did the lawyer suggest it? Maybe they thought mom would freak out either way. Maybe they thought Dad would say no. Who knows.
No the lawyer did not suggest it. They said they did it because they didn't want anyone to tell them no. I am sure that Bm is going to freak out either way but I know it will be much worse with her being blindsided.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:10 pm Trolling back under bumpitybumpbump I see. LOL get a life.
Not everyone is a troll and that is not my username.
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent
Posts: 2843
Joined: Mon May 21, 2018 10:12 am

Unread post

They should have contacted the people they want to live with first. They should have discussed this with their mother as well. Just because they want to live elsewhere doesn't mean they will get their way.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess
Posts: 17777
Joined: Mon May 21, 2018 6:31 am

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:15 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:10 pm Trolling back under bumpitybumpbump I see. LOL get a life.
Not everyone is a troll and that is not my username.
Okay maybe you’re not. But at no point did they talk to mom about this? Express their dissatisfaction? And the lawyer is cool with letting minors do this without discussing it with their custodial parent? When there’s no abuse or problems in the house? Or bringing the GAL into it? Uh huh.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:42 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:15 pm
Anonymous 2 wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:10 pm Trolling back under bumpitybumpbump I see. LOL get a life.
Not everyone is a troll and that is not my username.
Okay maybe you’re not. But at no point did they talk to mom about this? Express their dissatisfaction? And the lawyer is cool with letting minors do this without discussing it with their custodial parent? When there’s no abuse or problems in the house? Or bringing the GAL into it? Uh huh.
They have told her they want to move back before but they have never had a serious conversation with her about it. I'm not sure how much the lawyer did or did not know. The GAL was brought in years ago when the original court order for them moving was set up.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic