Some Texas schools may rename slavery to 'involuntary relocation'

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

https://www.yahoo.com/news/texas-school ... 29127.html

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) — Public schools in Texas would describe slavery to second graders as “involuntary relocation” under new social studies standards proposed to the state's education board.

A group of nine educators submitted the idea to the State Board of Education as part of Texas' efforts to develop new social studies curriculum
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

🤦🏼‍♀️
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Wtf?!
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
jessilin0113
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Our only goal in education should be to ensure white people don't feel bad.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Even Florida man is shaking his head like wtf?
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Wow. Can’t hurt the feelings of the snowflakes..
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:55 am Even Florida man is shaking his head like wtf?
What Texas is trying to do is absolutely freaking ridiculous.

However, DeStupid’s new civics curriculum isn’t that far off.
Last week I went to a three day workshop for this new civics curriculum and it was very, very concerning.
Honestly, it helped solidify some professional decisions for me.

If interested, here is a link on teachers reacting to the training/curriculum: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/ ... ?fs=e&s=cl
Aletheia
Regent
Regent

Unread post

the board will consider updates to social studies instruction a year after lawmakers passed a law to keep topics that make students “feel discomfort” out of Texas classrooms.

In 2015, Texas attracted attention when it was discovered a social studies textbook approved for use in the state called African slaves who were brought to the United States, “workers”

In this case, the group proposing these second grade curriculum revisions was given a copy of Senate Bill 3, Texas’ law that dictates how slavery and issues of race are taught in Texas. The law states that slavery can’t be taught as part of the true founding of the United States and that slavery was nothing more than a deviation from American values.

“They were given Senate Bill 3, so that had to have influenced their mind with that being a document given to them right before they had to perform this review,” Davis said.

conservative political action committees pouring large amounts of money to put more conservatives on school boards who promise to get rid of curriculum and programs they consider divisive and make white children feel bad.

Gov. Greg Abbott and Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick have made parental rights a priority as they both seek reelection in November. Patrick has also vowed to push for a “Don’t Say Gay” bill in Texas, mirroring Florida’s conservative push to limit classroom discussions about LGBTQ people.

Last year’s SB 3 doesn’t mention critical race theory by name, but the bill was designed to keep the teaching out of secondary schools — even though it is not taught in K-12 Texas public schools. Critical race theory is a university-level field of study based on the idea that racism is embedded in legal systems and not limited to individuals. It has become a common phrase used by conservatives to include anything about race taught or discussed in public secondary schools.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SoFloMom wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:59 am
Pjmm wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:55 am Even Florida man is shaking his head like wtf?
What Texas is trying to do is absolutely freaking ridiculous.

However, DeStupid’s new civics curriculum isn’t that far off.
Last week I went to a three day workshop for this new civics curriculum and it was very, very concerning.
Honestly, it helped solidify some professional decisions for me.

If interested, here is a link on teachers reacting to the training/curriculum: https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/ ... ?fs=e&s=cl
That guy’s an idiot and probably will be our next president. The only thing that saves him is he’s got a tad more sense than Trump. Of course my elderly blind cat does too so it doesn’t say a lot. I’m seriously thinking of going Republican just to have some say on what those idiots do. Too bad we’re a closed primary state.
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

You shouldn't try to alter history to suit an agenda or try to erase it altogether.

This is appalling and disgusting.
Locked Previous topicNext topic