How to assure a parent, that I will pay for things on Vacation.

Anonymous 1

Unread post

We are going on Vacation in a week. (Me, My boyfriend, my 3 kids and my mom)

My daughter invited a friend to join us. Technically he is my son's friend but my daughter kind of claimed him too, so he is both of the kids friends (DD is 16, DS is 15 and friend is 15) Very nice kid we all like him. (So in total there are 7 of us)

I talked to the kids dad, and explained what the plan was and gave him all the details... He asked how much money the kiddo needed. I told him he needed spending money, and to pay for the rafting trip ($85) and the hot springs ($30) . (So about $125 for the activities and whatever spending money he needed). This is more of a relaxing vacation, there is a rec center where the kids can go swimming and an activity center where the kids can pretend they know how to mini golf and play tennis or just play board games. The can also go fishing with my mom.

Over the last week or so the kid keeps texting my kids asking if I'm sure he doesn't need money for food/gas/the room. The kids and I have told him over and over that he does not. The cabin is paid for (mom owns a timeshare, and it's a $40 cleaning fee whether or not the friend comes it's going to be the same cost because we are getting the big cabin that sleeps 8 and would have regardless), gas is going to suck but be the same no matter if he comes or not, and the cabin has a full kitchen we go to the grocery store and buy food for the week, so unless this kid only eats organic vegan food, it's no big deal to feed one more kid.... We go out to eat MAYBE once or twice in that time and I don't mind paying for the kid to eat out then.

I understand the dad just wants to make sure but honestly is there anyway to assure him, we're good so that he doesn't feel the need to have his son ask daily? I have never taken a friend with us before so I don't want to be rude or anything.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I’d tell Dad to throw in some nominal amount for food and call it done. He apparently wants to so why not? Both of you will be happy.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Just tell him to throw in some extra and then send it home when he doesn't spend it.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

You’ve said what you had to say to him. If he wants to keep asking if just keep responding the same way, thanks but he’s really not adding much to the cost and he’s our guest so don’t worry about it.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Tell the parents again the rest of the trip is covered but if they would feel more comfortable adding extra than do so.
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

It's up to them to send the extra money so I would let them. If nothing more, it can be more spending money for their son.
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Careful there.
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
leadfoot40
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:59 pm Careful there.
Careful with what
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I think you should sit down with the parent(s) and figure out what you and they are comfortable paying for/not paying for.

I can see where some parents would be uncomfortable with you all paying a substantial portion of their child's expenses. Let them offer (and you accept) to pay a fair amount.
Rosehawk
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jul 01, 2022 11:36 am We are going on Vacation in a week. (Me, My boyfriend, my 3 kids and my mom)

My daughter invited a friend to join us. Technically he is my son's friend but my daughter kind of claimed him too, so he is both of the kids friends (DD is 16, DS is 15 and friend is 15) Very nice kid we all like him. (So in total there are 7 of us)

I talked to the kids dad, and explained what the plan was and gave him all the details... He asked how much money the kiddo needed. I told him he needed spending money, and to pay for the rafting trip ($85) and the hot springs ($30) . (So about $125 for the activities and whatever spending money he needed). This is more of a relaxing vacation, there is a rec center where the kids can go swimming and an activity center where the kids can pretend they know how to mini golf and play tennis or just play board games. The can also go fishing with my mom.

Over the last week or so the kid keeps texting my kids asking if I'm sure he doesn't need money for food/gas/the room. The kids and I have told him over and over that he does not. The cabin is paid for (mom owns a timeshare, and it's a $40 cleaning fee whether or not the friend comes it's going to be the same cost because we are getting the big cabin that sleeps 8 and would have regardless), gas is going to suck but be the same no matter if he comes or not, and the cabin has a full kitchen we go to the grocery store and buy food for the week, so unless this kid only eats organic vegan food, it's no big deal to feed one more kid.... We go out to eat MAYBE once or twice in that time and I don't mind paying for the kid to eat out then.

I understand the dad just wants to make sure but honestly is there anyway to assure him, we're good so that he doesn't feel the need to have his son ask daily? I have never taken a friend with us before so I don't want to be rude or anything.
I would get in touch with Dad again and tell him everything is paid for, and all he needs to send his son with is the money for rafting, hot springs, and spending money. If he feels the need to contribute to gas/food/lodging he can, but it's really not necessary. (Then, maybe take that money and let the friend use it as additional spending money)
I used to be a people person
Then people ruined it
Locked Previous topicNext topic