How evangelical Christians are sizing up the 2024 GOP race for president

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:37 am First thing on most Americans mind, while standing at the pump, "hmm? What are the evangelicals thinking?" Same thoughts when paying their electric bill, worrying how they will afford to heat their homes this coming winter, pay rent, feed their families etc.... yes indeed, the top concern is the evangelical opinion. SMFH
What will the Republicans do to fix this?
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Is there anything more to this story than “ whoever has the most support will win the nomination “ ?
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:21 am Is there anything more to this story than “ whoever has the most support will win the nomination “ ?
It's more so the amount of political power and control by Evangelicals. I don't want a nation of their rules anymore than Islam, Catholicism or Judaism.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Explains it perfectly. Thank you.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I remember a time when a politician speaking in front of the congregation was pushing the envelope. Our elders could not stand it and a lot of churches didn’t allow it.

Now I see why.

I don’t have a problem with churches getting involved in politics to a certain extent, especially if it involves certain things like community relations. But these churches running around telling their choir to sing MAGA songs during service and pushing this notion that Donald Trump is God’s chosen President is a disgrace.

And I am not gonna lie, I am seeing this ignorance tearing up a lot of families because politics is being place in the same level of importance as god when the two don’t mix.

These people can not believe in hell or god acting like this.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:51 pm
Frau Holle wrote: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:21 am Is there anything more to this story than “ whoever has the most support will win the nomination “ ?
It's more so the amount of political power and control by Evangelicals. I don't want a nation of their rules anymore than Islam, Catholicism or Judaism.
I agree, that is a big problem. Religious leaders can’t teach right/wrong if the message is based on politics and laws can’t be determined by religious views.

I think the government needs to set some legal boundaries with churches and how much they get involved in politics in order to maintain tax exempt status. They shouldn’t be allowed to use the church building fund to help an infamous sinner run for President and lie to people like God told them to do it. 😐😐😐😐😐😐

If a church has made enough profit to get this involved in politics, then they need to be treated like a business. Political power ain’t free.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Evangelical leaders crossed the line these past few years with telling their members not to get vaccinated, like the evangelical leader in Michigan who lied and said there were over 100 patients in the local hospital with complications from the vaccine. Even so these leaders preach about the “stolen election” as if it were gospel.

You would think that all that lying and propaganda would cause a drop in attendance but these MAGA church people have the biggest crowds.
Deleted User 1990

Unread post

Lol oh noes, not the Christians!!
Welcome to life in a democracy kids!
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:19 pm Evangelical leaders crossed the line these past few years with telling their members not to get vaccinated, like the evangelical leader in Michigan who lied and said there were over 100 patients in the local hospital with complications from the vaccine. Even so these leaders preach about the “stolen election” as if it were gospel.

You would think that all that lying and propaganda would cause a drop in attendance but these MAGA church people have the biggest crowds.
If you read the link I posted in this thread, it explains a lot of this. If you don’t click on links, it’s a CNN interview with Kristin Kobes Du Mez, so you probably could google her name with CNN. I know many people think this is irrelevant information, but it really isn’t especially considering how broad of a term evangelical is and how much it influences and shapes our policies and politics. Now it’s just as much of a political term as it is theological.
Locked Previous topicNext topic