Totally Random question for Christian

Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess
Posts: 18068
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 5:32 pm

Unread post

Question is, why a Buddha and not a Jesus? 🤷‍♀️
Quorra2.0 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:46 pm
SallyMae wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:57 am If they are sentient and mortal they will have suffering, so I hope at least they had a Buddha.
I would imagine there would be some figure in other world civilizations beliefs that offers comfort, love, hope, and peace. I don’t think Buddha is any less possible.
❤️❤️ ישראל ❤️❤️
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal
Posts: 6347
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:52 pm

Unread post

I'm not Christian and while I do believe that there could be "intelligent" life on other planets, I don't think they would resemble our own. That all being said, it's a really interesting thought experiment.

If a species developed to have a social and collaborative structure, and if all their needs were being met, would they venture into some sort of religious belief? Would all intelligent species want answers to the how and why they are there and look to the spiritual? Would it be assumed that they would have been "created" in the image of their god?

I'm fascinated by octopuses and wonder way too much what is going on in their brains. Pigs are another animal that I think about. In my opinion, intelligent life on other planets would look and behave most like them, lol.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SallyMae
Duchess
Duchess
Posts: 1875
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:38 pm

Unread post

Momto2boys973 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:07 pm
Quorra2.0 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:46 pm
SallyMae wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:57 am If they are sentient and mortal they will have suffering, so I hope at least they had a Buddha.
I would imagine there would be some figure in other world civilizations beliefs that offers comfort, love, hope, and peace. I don’t think Buddha is any less possible.
Question is, why a Buddha and not a Jesus? 🤷‍♀️
A Buddha is a type of person. Perhaps Jesus was a Buddha.
SallyMae
Duchess
Duchess
Posts: 1875
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2020 1:38 pm

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:46 pm
SallyMae wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:57 am If they are sentient and mortal they will have suffering, so I hope at least they had a Buddha.
I would imagine there would be some figure in other world civilizations beliefs that offers comfort, love, hope, and peace. I don’t think Buddha is any less possible.
It would not be Siddhartha Gautama of course. But any enlightened mind who can use focused attention to transcend suffering would qualify.
User avatar
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent
Posts: 3518
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:39 am

Unread post

EarlGrayHot wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:23 pm Life on other planets? What hubris to think we are the only people on the only planet in the universe that can sustain life. But why would the sacrifice of Jesus have to be repeated elsewhere to be valid? It wouldn't any more than Christ having to be sacrificed on every continent on Earth to be valid. Once is enough to prove the point and set the example.
Venture to theorize how they would know?

On Earth, Christianity, and subsequently the belief in the New Covenant spreader across the globe by those humans sharing this belief with those who did not hold this belief and many, on other continents, in other lands, unaware of Jesus. I don’t think that either believing Jesus only lived one life, made one sacrifice or believe he had multiple make either more or less valid or significant.
User avatar
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent
Posts: 3518
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:39 am

Unread post

I just figured that’s what she believes and that in her beliefs Buddha would be of an equivalence of how she views the Christian Jesus. I know I asked Christians but I don’t object to others input. I suppose 🤔 if I had worded this more inclusively, I could have asked if someone subscribed to a belief in an afterlife, in which there are rules… But the random thought had been specific to Christians. When I re-read what I had originally typed, I realized without tone or queues it could have been taken differently. My minds a little bit of an insane place, so though I am not Christian, the question was still from a place that sees the beliefs as just as true and valid as my own, if that makes sense.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:07 pm Question is, why a Buddha and not a Jesus? 🤷‍♀️
Quorra2.0 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:46 pm
SallyMae wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 2:57 am If they are sentient and mortal they will have suffering, so I hope at least they had a Buddha.
I would imagine there would be some figure in other world civilizations beliefs that offers comfort, love, hope, and peace. I don’t think Buddha is any less possible.
User avatar
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent
Posts: 3518
Joined: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:39 am

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:26 pm I'm not Christian and while I do believe that there could be "intelligent" life on other planets, I don't think they would resemble our own. That all being said, it's a really interesting thought experiment.

If a species developed to have a social and collaborative structure, and if all their needs were being met, would they venture into some sort of religious belief? Would all intelligent species want answers to the how and why they are there and look to the spiritual? Would it be assumed that they would have been "created" in the image of their god?

I'm fascinated by octopuses and wonder way too much what is going on in their brains. Pigs are another animal that I think about. In my opinion, intelligent life on other planets would look and behave most like them, lol.
Good questions. I think the answers would depend on what is primarily dependent on our physical form, which are created specifically for the planet we live on, and what is primarily part of our soul.

Any particular reason on octopus and pigs? Or just they are the most interesting to you? Totally off subject, Apple TV did a really good documentary called the year earth changed. Sorry no pigs or octopus but I found it interesting how different animals have adapted to humans albeit not to the level of zero negative impact.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

Religion is a man made thing. I do believe there is life on other planets. It's impossible for there not to be. As for Christianity on other planets, no. As I said, Religion is a man made thing, it's a way to explain what was previously unexplainable to people who wanted some sort of answer to the questions they didn't have answers for.

That was an interesting question.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess
Posts: 18068
Joined: Wed May 23, 2018 5:32 pm

Unread post

I guess where the difficulty lies for me is that in my beliefs, there’s no individual, no human being that is revered as a divine (or almost divine) being. So that concept for me puts certain limitations on what that being can do.
Quorra2.0 wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 1:00 pm I just figured that’s what she believes and that in her beliefs Buddha would be of an equivalence of how she views the Christian Jesus. I know I asked Christians but I don’t object to others input. I suppose 🤔 if I had worded this more inclusively, I could have asked if someone subscribed to a belief in an afterlife, in which there are rules… But the random thought had been specific to Christians. When I re-read what I had originally typed, I realized without tone or queues it could have been taken differently. My minds a little bit of an insane place, so though I am not Christian, the question was still from a place that sees the beliefs as just as true and valid as my own, if that makes sense.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 6:07 pm Question is, why a Buddha and not a Jesus? 🤷‍♀️
Quorra2.0 wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:46 pm

I would imagine there would be some figure in other world civilizations beliefs that offers comfort, love, hope, and peace. I don’t think Buddha is any less possible.
❤️❤️ ישראל ❤️❤️
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal
Posts: 6347
Joined: Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:52 pm

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 10:56 am
WellPreserved wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:26 pm I'm not Christian and while I do believe that there could be "intelligent" life on other planets, I don't think they would resemble our own. That all being said, it's a really interesting thought experiment.

If a species developed to have a social and collaborative structure, and if all their needs were being met, would they venture into some sort of religious belief? Would all intelligent species want answers to the how and why they are there and look to the spiritual? Would it be assumed that they would have been "created" in the image of their god?

I'm fascinated by octopuses and wonder way too much what is going on in their brains. Pigs are another animal that I think about. In my opinion, intelligent life on other planets would look and behave most like them, lol.
Good questions. I think the answers would depend on what is primarily dependent on our physical form, which are created specifically for the planet we live on, and what is primarily part of our soul.

Any particular reason on octopus and pigs? Or just they are the most interesting to you? Totally off subject, Apple TV did a really good documentary called the year earth changed. Sorry no pigs or octopus but I found it interesting how different animals have adapted to humans albeit not to the level of zero negative impact.
Octopus because I "endured" cephalopod week on NPR during a time when I was spending a lot of time on the road, lol. I've had pigs in the past and just find them fascinating.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic