Advice on my teen daughter

Mom Talk is a group for moms to come for advice and should be looked at as a more supportive community than Mom Confessions. Those who aren’t here for drama but want to connect with other moms or have questions about parenting can hang out here.
momofteen56
Peon

Unread post

I have a 14 year teen daughter and she is supposedly in a relationship with a much older man. He is 29 and my daughter is 14. She is lying about her being in that relationship. I need help with this one
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

You call the police…that’s called statutory rape, not being in a relationship.
Deleted User 1949

Unread post

How is she even without supervision at that age?
Deleted User 1986

Unread post

Call the police.

If you want to scare the crap out of her and *possibly* have her never speak with him again:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Carly_Ryan (This one will mess you up so be careful with it. It's about a 14 year old that was murdered by her much older online boyfriend)

https://www.missingkids.org/content/dam ... s/nc70.pdf (This one is an analysis on the behavior)

https://www.buzzfeed.com/victoriavoulou ... lder-men-2 (This one is stories from women that have been through it. #4 and #9)

It really depends on how you want to handle this.

Oh and one last thing. There's a movie called Do Not Reply on Amazon Prime. This one is fucked up, so you might want to watch it first before you show it to her.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Lindsay wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:06 pm How is she even without supervision at that age?
My sons were. I worked after all. It’s common for a teen to not be supervised 24/7. Yes I guess one can limit websites and message apps. My kids didn’t have phones until they were older. But some kids are sneaky and devious. If I knew the guy or could get onto the girl’s phone is tell him who he’s talking to because he might not know. If the guy was local the police would be paying him a visit. I don’t think there’s a state where this isn’t statuary rape or solicitation of a minor.
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Teenagers find a way.

Lindsay wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:06 pm How is she even without supervision at that age?
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

So true.
Pjmm wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 5:41 pm
My sons were. I worked after all. It’s common for a teen to not be supervised 24/7. Yes I guess one can limit websites and message apps. My kids didn’t have phones until they were older. But some kids are sneaky and devious. If I knew the guy or could get onto the girl’s phone is tell him who he’s talking to because he might not know. If the guy was local the police would be paying him a visit. I don’t think there’s a state where this isn’t statuary rape or solicitation of a minor.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Most 14 year olds I know spend time unsupervised… she’s two years away from driving and four years from being a legal adult, she needs to learn how to have time on her own. Being victimized by a child predator is a whole different issue, but it isn’t automatic poor parenting for a 14 year old to be left home alone.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

I am so sorry. This is a tough one but I've been there.
The first step, if you can, is to get your daughter to realize that the relationship is unhealthy. If you can do that, then bringing in outside agencies is pretty easy. If you can't, that's a whole 'nother issue.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Deleted User 1977

Unread post

She's gonna fight you on this one and because at 14, she knows this is wrong (the relationship with this fool) but she loves the idea that this grown man is into her, and doesn't want to even think about how wrong it is.

She will hate you for a while but you contact the police and also see what kind of advocacy the PD has in your area to help as she is a victim. Counseling would also be very wise for her and so she can begin to understand that being with this grown adult man has not been a romantic fairy tale.
Locked Previous topicNext topic