Interesting question

SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:31 pm Imagine a world with both.
We need to imagine a world with a fraction of a percent of the fossil fuels we are using now. Renewables are not energy-dense enough to replace them.

The future of energy is thorium.
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:17 am
DSamuels wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:12 am
Lemons wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:16 pm

It’s going to be about 20 years before most cars are electric. Maybe turn gas stations into charging stations? Plus everyone will be able to charge at home.
You miss the point entirely. When a town is devastated and there is no electricity how will you power and charge your electric items?
I read the tweet but I guess I’m missing something. Does this town not have electricity?
Right now? I don’t know. It’s a small town in Kentucky that was just about completely leveled by a huge tornado. I am guessing it will be some time before electricity is restored, but to do that I would imagine lots of clean up needs to be done.
3430C70C-446E-4469-AABF-48946C565872.jpeg
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
Msprekteacher
Regent
Regent

Unread post

The same is said of their gasoline powered products. Sure you may have extra but eventually that will
Run out. Gas stations won’t help as their pumps won’t work. It’s not an interesting question it’s an asinine one.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:16 am
Thelma Harper wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:31 pm Imagine a world with both.
I don’t mind both. I do mind eliminating one and relying completely on electric items.
Both is where it's currently headed. We may possibly still be around (albeit probably old ah, lol) to see the phase out of the most fossil fuels. It's on a trajectory and time & technology will transform how we power earth. It's inevitable. Even companies like EXXONMOBIL are getting in on it. They know it's the future.

I just hope it's not too late.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:12 am
Lemons wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:16 pm
DSamuels wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:05 pm I never thought about this. How would you power things?

7694488E-08E9-4996-B7CE-DE1268488A13.jpeg
It’s going to be about 20 years before most cars are electric. Maybe turn gas stations into charging stations? Plus everyone will be able to charge at home.
You miss the point entirely. When a town is devastated and there is no electricity how will you power and charge your electric items?
There's always two-man saws, shovels, picks, hand saws, wheel barrows, horses, oxen, wagons etc. So it would probably look like that, lol. My husband's great grandfather and his family cleared 100 acres without machines.

Side note: A friends husband works for a disaster recovery company. They're already there. With heavy equipment, of course.
306/232

DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Msprekteacher wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:54 am The same is said of their gasoline powered products. Sure you may have extra but eventually that will
Run out. Gas stations won’t help as their pumps won’t work. It’s not an interesting question it’s an asinine one.
You can bring gas in from other places in containers, or even go to another town to fill up. Electricity to power or recharge everything? Not so much. No, it’s not an asinine question. There are people who want want all vehicles electric only.
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
Msprekteacher
Regent
Regent

Unread post

The same argument can be made for an electric vehicle. You can drive them to recharging stations. It’s not that difficult a concept. It’s like your smart phone-you put it in a charger every night before it’s at 0 percent. The same would be true of your car.

Let’s assume we’re talking just a power outage-your drive it somewhere that has charging stations.

It’s ridiculous to think fossil fuels are intimate and therefor the only energy source with legs.

DSamuels wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:30 am
Msprekteacher wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 6:54 am The same is said of their gasoline powered products. Sure you may have extra but eventually that will
You can bring gas in from other places in containers, or even go to another town to fill up. Electricity to power or recharge everything? Not so much. No, it’s not an asinine question. There are people who want want all vehicles electric only.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Have you ever been through a hurricane or it's after effects?
306/232

Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Just think we can finally tell Saudi Arabia to f**k off.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Mobilized charging stations…just like there are mobilized food trucks, laundry services, showering stations to help out those who lost everything. Also other emergency response teams from other places/states mobilize to these areas too.
Locked Previous topicNext topic