DS is missing his best friends birthday because he is grounded.

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Lindsay wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:39 pm I'm kind of on his side.
He screwed up big time, but this is a once in a lifetime event that won't happen again most likely.

I'm not a big supporter of punishing no matter what the cost.
They go on a trip every year. It isn't a once in a lifetime event at all. You aren't a supporter of punishing? That is crazy to me.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 2:36 pm I've never grounded my kids so missing out like this has never been an issue in my house.

You do you.
What would you have done in my situation?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:17 am I'm with you on this. And i think it's a great idea he pay her back.

Where is the trip to? Just curious
A hot springs up in the mountains. They are staying in a cabin.
Deleted User 1949

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:02 am
He screwed up big time, but this is a once in a lifetime event that won't happen again most likely.

They go on a trip every year. It isn't a once in a lifetime event at all. You aren't a supporter of punishing? That is crazy to me.
I said I’m not a fan of punishment **no matter the cost**

I don’t punish by taking away life experiences. If it happens every year and he can go with them next year then I guess it doesn’t matter.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Lindsay wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:17 am

I don’t punish by taking away life experiences. If it happens every year and he can go with them next year then I guess it doesn’t matter.
The stars don't really change much. Your statement makes it seem like you just aren't a fan of punishment that is why people are confused by it I think.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 8:26 am

The stars don't really change much. Your statement makes it seem like you just aren't a fan of punishment that is why people are confused by it I think.
Idk, it makes sense to me.

My comments are just in general, I am certainly not criticizing your methods, and assure you know you DS better than any of us, and realize how to teach him best.

But…

Discipline is not synonymous with punishment. And consequences also is not synonymous with punishment.

Although punishment certainly can be effective discipline, just like any parenting tool there are a lot of factors that impact IF punishment (and the type) will teach the lesson that needs to be taught. Ask any youth and adult psychologist in the prison system and although there are plenty of young adults that had no involved parent, there are many more that had lot of punishments too.
Deleted User 1949

Unread post

Well, it’s a full sentence. Just reading the beginning of the sentence might make it seem that way but if you finish it…
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Lindsay wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:33 am

Well, it’s a full sentence. Just reading the beginning of the sentence might make it seem that way but if you finish it…
How I read it is that you are not a fan of punishment no matter the cost which would mean from tiny costs to big costs. Punishment always comes at a cost so it can also be taken as you aren't for punishment. I'm not the only one who took it that way.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:37 am

How I read it is that you are not a fan of punishment no matter the cost which would mean from tiny costs to big costs. Punishment always comes at a cost so it can also be taken as you aren't for punishment. I'm not the only one who took it that way.
No you’re not. I took it that way too and I’m sure others did as well. She could have said she’s not a fan of taking things away as punishment and prefers manual labor as punishment.
Deleted User 1949

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 9:37 am

Ok, well, then I’m glad I got the opportunity to further explain my stance.
Locked Previous topicNext topic