Ivermectin - is this a joke?

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

People are actually choosing to self-medicate with livestock dewormer? But they don't trust the CDC? At first I thought this had to be from the Onion, but apparently it is really happening. And some far--right personalities and politicians are pushing this dangerous nonsense.

Wisconsin Sen. Ron Johnson has been pushing ivermectin as an effective treatment for the virus. Fox News' Laura Ingraham has also claimed "you have hydroxychloroquine, which of course got political and totally maligned, ivermectin, vitamin D, zinc -- all of it's good to take." And saying it is "used around the world to reduce Covid hospitalizations and deaths."

Ivermectin was approved for human use in the US only for intestinal parasites, head lice and rosacea. The study on which Johnson, Ingraham and others base their claims of use against Covid-19 has been retracted.

An animal dewormer to treat COVID? Poison control centers see uptick in calls, stores sell out.

A warning from the Food and Drug Administration hasn't stopped people from taking a livestock deworming drug they believe will treat COVID-19.

Poison control centers across the nation have received an uptick in calls about the drug ivermectin, an anti-parasitic medicine often used to treat cattle and pigs.

Gaylord Lopez, executive director for the Georgia Poison Control Center, told USA TODAY they have already received 15 to 16 calls in August compared to the typical one call a month.

Lopez said one woman called the center after purchasing the sheep version but didn't have any side effects.

Others have called the center and reported significant symptoms ranging from extreme vomiting to blurred vision, he added.

The Georgia center received calls from the Alabama Poison Control Center last week asking if they were also getting calls about ivermectin poisoning.

"Across the board the message is standard. 'Stop using,'" Lopez said.

In pill form, the drug can be used to treat parasites in humans, and the National Institutes of Health is also funding a trial of drugs, including ivermectin, to potentially use to treat COVID-19.
However, the livestock version, which many are flocking to purchase, is highly concentrated and toxic to people, according to the Mississippi State Department of Health.

Concerns over improper usage of the livestock version also led the FDA to warn the public to not use ivermectin to treat or prevent COVID-19.

"You are not a horse. You are not a cow. Seriously y'all. Stop it," the federal agency's Twitter account shared on Saturday.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/08/25/politics ... index.html
Deleted User 1949

Unread post

Country girl here, we've been sharing medicines with our pets and livestock forever lol.
Tylenol, vaporub, melatonin, aspirin, benadryl, you name it.
Mamaof5
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

It’s the same people who discussed injecting/ingesting bleach. Guaranteed
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Lindsay wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:00 pm Country girl here, we've been sharing medicines with our pets and livestock forever lol.
This type of attitude is the problem. It’s not as simple as that. Dosing a pig, which is relatively the same weight of many humans, with NyQuil is easy and safe. Dosing a human with the ivermectin from the co-op meant for livestock is another thing. Ivermectin is usually in concentrated form and dosages are meant for animals that weigh hundreds of pounds. You don’t dilute that stuff enough, your ass is going to the ER. That is what is happening right now. People are overdosing on this stuff. So stop acting like it’s normal for people to take shit that they keep in the barn/storage building. *****I live on a mini farm with turkeys, chickens, sheep, pigs, and goats!
Deleted User 1949

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:28 pm
Lindsay wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:00 pm Country girl here, we've been sharing medicines with our pets and livestock forever lol.
This type of attitude is the problem. It’s not as simple as that. Dosing a pig, which is relatively the same weight of many humans, with NyQuil is easy and safe. Dosing a human with the ivermectin from the co-op meant for livestock is another thing. Ivermectin is usually in concentrated form and dosages are meant for animals that weigh hundreds of pounds. You don’t dilute that stuff enough, your ass is going to the ER. That is what is happening right now. People are overdosing on this stuff. So stop acting like it’s normal for people to take shit that they keep in the barn/storage building. *****I live on a mini farm with turkeys, chickens, sheep, pigs, and goats!
Uh, lol it is normal, and most people know that the dosages are different for chickens, horses and humans.

But still, it's par for the course to share medications. It happens all day everyday and has been for the last 37 years at least lol.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Ok, but do you use livestock medications to treat potentially fatal diseases that have already taken the lives of 600,000+ Americans?
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Lindsay wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:39 pm
Uh, lol it is normal, and most people know that the dosages are different for chickens, horses and humans.

But still, it's par for the course to share medications. It happens all day everyday and has been for the last 37 years at least lol.
You know people who regularly take medication meant for livestock?
Deleted User 1949

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:52 pm
Ok, but do you use livestock medications to treat potentially fatal diseases that have already taken the lives of 600,000+ Americans?
Not typically, no lol, but if the medical professionals said " Oh, you need Lysine and methionine to survive" and I know that's in the food I give my horse to make her hooves grow, I might eat a bite ;)
Deleted User 1949

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:56 pm
Lindsay wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:39 pm

You know people who regularly take medication meant for livestock?
I know people that regularly use horse shampoo for their hair and horse liniment when they are hurt. It usually goes the other way around though and the animal gets the human medicine.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Lindsay wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:03 pm
MonarchMom wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:52 pm
Not typically, no lol, but if the medical professionals said " Oh, you need Lysine and methionine to survive" and I know that's in the food I give my horse to make her hooves grow, I might eat a bite ;)
Well in this case you have people who may have been diagnosed with Covid-19, and are choose to "eat a bite" as you say, instead of seeking proper medical care. All because some right-wing politicians and talking heads want to appeal to the base instead of deferring to actual medical professionals. I hope none of them suffer long-term damage or death as a result.
Locked Previous topicNext topic