Alice Cooper on voting....

DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

49F121B8-1FF4-4444-84D1-B79FB9A70E70.jpeg
He makes a lot of sense!
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
Deleted User 1760

Unread post

He's right.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I don't see it. It is not abusive to share your opinion. No one is forcing anyone to agree, or making you follow the advice of someone because you are a fan. Musicians, actors, athletes, authors, or any public figure have the same right to free speech as the rest of us.

I'm a lot more concerned with the use of corporate money to pay lobbyists, spread disinformation, or influence lawmakers than I am with individual celebrities having influence.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Abuse of power? That seems a bit of a stretch. Maybe they have a little bit of influence, but I think it’s more incumbent on musicians to stay out of politics because it may mean disaster for their career.
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

No, I don't agree with him either. Everyone is entitled to have an opinion. A musician has a right to express his opinion just like anyone else. If a fan cannot think for him or her self then that is not the celebrity's fault, it's the fan's fault.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:29 am I don't see it. It is not abusive to share your opinion. No one is forcing anyone to agree, or making you follow the advice of someone because you are a fan. Musicians, actors, athletes, authors, or any public figure have the same right to free speech as the rest of us.

I'm a lot more concerned with the use of corporate money to pay lobbyists, spread disinformation, or influence lawmakers than I am with individual celebrities having influence.
I agree with you. But Alice Cooper said tell the fans which is different than expressing his opinion or saying here’s what I think. It’s kind of like Macklemore in one of his songs where he’s telling rappers hey you have an influence on these kids. So if you glorify drugs they may just try them. So yes fans can think for themselves but some, especially the young, may not. You can look at the influence of Elvis or the Beatles to see that. Now Cooper is a bit hypocritical because he spent a lifetime telling the fans what he believes or thinks through his music. So I’m not sure why he doesn’t want to take a stance now. Probably doesn’t have one but this sounds better.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Barely interesting side note, my mom went to high school with Vince Furnier.
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

This opinion is no more or less an "abuse of power" than his voting opinions.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I feel this applies to many rich and famous who use their fame to promote controversial, political agendas.

I don't think they should be censored, it's their right, but I lose complete respect for many of them when their privileged mouths start babbling about many issues. I feel there is a lack of authenticity and am disappointed they have such influence.
wildflowers25
Regent
Regent

Unread post

People with a platform can share their opinion. That's not what most of them do. They lecture and tell regular people what is wrong with them and their ideas and what they need to do differently. That is not right and gets very close to an abuse of power. Add in that most of what they lecture in they don't even go through themselves and it's ludicrous they think what they are doing is acceptable.
Locked Previous topicNext topic