Does your family have one?

sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

A family "code word" that is? A word that your kids know in case someone tries to kidnap them?

There was a story on the local news last night about a boy who was leaving his elementary school and was approached by an unknown man. The man told the boy that his dad told him to pick him up. The boy asked for the password and when they man didn't know what it was the boy ran back to school and told school officials who contacted police. They did not find the man, but it definitely kept the boy from being kidnapped.

We do not, and never have, had such a system in place and now that our kids are older and have cell phones we would simply text or call the kids and let them know that someone is picking them up. But it made me wonder if others have this kind of system in place.
Fullxbusymom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

They have a word, we always have so they know who is okay to pick them up or not though. My kids don't get cell phones until high school. They know unless the person uses the code word that they are not to leave with anyone unless we have told them prior.

Unread post

sarah824 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:52 pm A family "code word" that is? A word that your kids know in case someone tries to kidnap them?

There was a story on the local news last night about a boy who was leaving his elementary school and was approached by an unknown man. The man told the boy that his dad told him to pick him up. The boy asked for the password and when they man didn't know what it was the boy ran back to school and told school officials who contacted police. They did not find the man, but it definitely kept the boy from being kidnapped.

We do not, and never have, had such a system in place and now that our kids are older and have cell phones we would simply text or call the kids and let them know that someone is picking them up. But it made me wonder if others have this kind of system in place.
Kinda....We have a code word for when Mil shows up at the front door. When we say the word they know to go upstairs and lock the bedroom door.

But other than that no although this idea was encouraged during the stranger danger era in the 80s
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

No but when we were going over stranger danger DS asked me: "What if someone is wearing a skin costume of you and Dad? How will I know if it's you?"

How do you even answer that? Lol.
sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

carterscutie85 wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:10 pm No but when we were going over stranger danger DS asked me: "What if someone is wearing a skin costume of you and Dad? How will I know if it's you?"

How do you even answer that? Lol.
That is kind of funny!! LOL
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Yes, actually..

Unread post

Yes we have always had a code word for the kids to verify. We also have a code word for the kids to text either of us. If we receive the text we will go pick them up, no matter where they are, who they are with, what they are doing, no questions asked. We will deal with the situation later but removing them from the situation is the priority.

Dh is a police officer, I am a social worker. We have seen to much of the ugly side of people not to have a safety plan.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

No I've always told the kids if someone else is to pick you up 1. it would be someone you know and 2. I'd call the school and let them know someone else is coming for you.
CandTmom
Regent
Regent

Unread post

No. I always drop them off and pick them up. They know the only other people they can go with is my husband or my mom.
sarah824
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:26 pm No I've always told the kids if someone else is to pick you up 1. it would be someone you know and 2. I'd call the school and let them know someone else is coming for you.
I get what you are saying, but calling the school in this situation wouldn't have helped because the boy had already left school and was walking home. Claimed to be a friend or something and that dad told him to come get the boy... Definitely a scary situation.
Locked Previous topicNext topic