The Degeneration of Art

Deleted User 1855

Unread post

DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I saw a commercial I thought I would never see on TV recently. It’s for the new Venus Razor for Pubic Hair and Skin. I’ve seen bikini razors and trimmers advertised, and the new “manscaping” trimmers, but I never thought I would hear an ad using the spoken and printed word “pubic hair” on TV.

Maybe I’m a prude, but that word always made me cringe a little.
38239B34-0767-49D7-A0AD-959074456C5A.jpeg
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
Deleted User 172

Unread post

Look up Robert Mapplethorpe. The X Portfolio.

Not for suitable for people who consider themselves to be prudes. Sorry DSamuels.
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Dylexsmommy wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:23 am Look up Robert Mapplethorpe. The X Portfolio.

Not for suitable for people who consider themselves to be prudes. Sorry DSamuels.
I remember his name. Is he the one who put a crucifix in a jar of urine?
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Nudity in art is older than Jesus (figure of speech). So I don’t think it’s about degeneration of art itself, it may be more so how it’s presented and the audience.

3rd Painting at an adult gallery in the art district?

No problem. 👍🏼

3rd Painting at an art exhibit in an elementary school?

Inappropriate AF. 👎🏼
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

DSamuels wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:44 am
Dylexsmommy wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 12:23 am Look up Robert Mapplethorpe. The X Portfolio.

I remember his name. Is he the one who put a crucifix in a jar of urine?
No, not the same artist. Mapplethorpe was a photographer who documented many unusual people and those we might label deviant.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:51 am Nudity in art is older than Jesus (figure of speech). So I don’t think it’s about degeneration of art itself, it may be more so how it’s presented and the audience.

No problem. 👍🏼

Inappropriate AF. 👎🏼
I felt a little scarred by 16th century Bosch works when I was in 5th grade, lol.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:22 am
SouthernIslander wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:51 am Nudity in art is older than Jesus (figure of speech). So I don’t think it’s about degeneration of art itself, it may be more so how it’s presented and the audience.

No problem. 👍🏼

Inappropriate AF. 👎🏼
I felt a little scarred by 16th century Bosch works when I was in 5th grade, lol.

I had to Google his work. Yeah this would have bothered me in 5th grade too. Lol!!!
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

In many countries there are public sculptures and fountains depicting nude bodies and no one seems distressed by this. Michelangelo's David is on public display and attracts thousands of visitors each year to see it. If you are taught the human body is something to hide, then you are uncomfortable with nudity.

If the OP is saying that art has "degenerated" because it is no longer as representational, that is a matter of opinion. There are many ideas expressed through art that have nothing to do with realism.
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Careful with your phrasing, the Nazi Party came up with the term Degenerate Art to describe modern art, particularly abstract expressionism. It was seen as "unGerman" and perverted by Jewish influences, whether or not the artist was Jewish.
Locked Previous topicNext topic