Dogpark Etiquette

Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:35 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:38 am This is a case of had to be there. The larger dogs could have been pinning the little dog down because the little dog was getting too aggressive in play and they were telling it to settle the f**k down in dog language (pinning and growling.as warning).

Regardless of the situation however it is the responsibility of ALL dog owners to monitor their dog's play and remove their own dog from the situation or divert their dog's attention back to appropriate play. You say the little dog's owner "called" to their dog but an attentive pet owner would have gotten up off their ass and walked to their dog and removed relocated it to the different area. Same with the larger dog owners. All were in the wrong here and need to brush up on their dog training and etiquette.
How do your dog parks work? Ours have no seats for the owners of the dogs, one of the rules is the dogs owners need to keep walking the entire time, as if you sit down you are less attentive and also the dogs may claim that area as their own. By us keeping moving the dogs are also moving the entire time, and less likely to get into a altercation (although they do happen). We have a few dog parks in the area - one of them has a separate location for small dogs under 25 lbs or puppies 9 months of age, then the other area. The one we go to does not have a small dog/puppy area. Technically our dog Thor could go to the small dog/puppy area since he is 9 months, however at 100 lbs he is a tad big for that route.
The dog parks I've been to have all had picnic tables around. Especially helpful for the elderly or handicapped. The dogs still need to get out and run around and stuff, but not all owners can physically keep moving the way you described. Especially where I live now where we have a large retired population and they all seem to own dogs.

And I've seen parks with separate areas based on size and I've also seen parks with no separate areas at all. But even when there are separate areas I think of it as more of a suggestion rather than a rule. I think about the owner who has two dogs, one the right size for the large dog area and one the right size for the small dog area. So what is that owner supposed to do with their two dogs? They can't be in both places at once.

That's why I think the overriding rule of dog parks above all else is control your dog, and if your dog is aggressive (regardless of size) remove your dog or don't bring them in the first place.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

If the owner of the aggressive dog can't get their dog under control then the aggressive dog needs to leave. I don't care whether that's a small dog or a big dog.

In this case the bigger dog needs to leave the park since it's owner can't get it under control.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:10 pm
highlandmum wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:35 pm
Baconqueen13 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:38 am This is a case of had to be there. The larger dogs could have been pinning the little dog down because the little dog was getting too aggressive in play and they were telling it to settle the f**k down in dog language (pinning and growling.as warning).

Regardless of the situation however it is the responsibility of ALL dog owners to monitor their dog's play and remove their own dog from the situation or divert their dog's attention back to appropriate play. You say the little dog's owner "called" to their dog but an attentive pet owner would have gotten up off their ass and walked to their dog and removed relocated it to the different area. Same with the larger dog owners. All were in the wrong here and need to brush up on their dog training and etiquette.
How do your dog parks work? Ours have no seats for the owners of the dogs, one of the rules is the dogs owners need to keep walking the entire time, as if you sit down you are less attentive and also the dogs may claim that area as their own. By us keeping moving the dogs are also moving the entire time, and less likely to get into a altercation (although they do happen). We have a few dog parks in the area - one of them has a separate location for small dogs under 25 lbs or puppies 9 months of age, then the other area. The one we go to does not have a small dog/puppy area. Technically our dog Thor could go to the small dog/puppy area since he is 9 months, however at 100 lbs he is a tad big for that route.
The dog parks I've been to have all had picnic tables around. Especially helpful for the elderly or handicapped. The dogs still need to get out and run around and stuff, but not all owners can physically keep moving the way you described. Especially where I live now where we have a large retired population and they all seem to own dogs.

And I've seen parks with separate areas based on size and I've also seen parks with no separate areas at all. But even when there are separate areas I think of it as more of a suggestion rather than a rule. I think about the owner who has two dogs, one the right size for the large dog area and one the right size for the small dog area. So what is that owner supposed to do with their two dogs? They can't be in both places at once.

That's why I think the overriding rule of dog parks above all else is control your dog, and if your dog is aggressive (regardless of size) remove your dog or don't bring them in the first place.
No picnic tables at all for our dog parks. You need to keep moving in a counter clockwise direction. Sometimes you will find that the dogs have decided to lay down in a group under one of the big trees as the owners keep moving in the counter clockwise direction. I think at that point the dogs are looking at us saying, "It's nice to see them get out and socialize with others, and we know our humans will sleep tonight"
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

The dog causing the problem is the one who should leave.
Anonymous 10

Unread post

If there weren't sections for different size dogs, then the large dog owner should have stepped and removed the dog before the small dog owner did it for them. We don't go to the dog park anymore because a few years ago we saw a dog maced then shot because it wouldn't release a small dog. We grabbed our fur baby's and got the hell out of there
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 10 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:46 am If there weren't sections for different size dogs, then the large dog owner should have stepped and removed the dog before the small dog owner did it for them. We don't go to the dog park anymore because a few years ago we saw a dog maced then shot because it wouldn't release a small dog. We grabbed our fur baby's and got the hell out of there
Wait?!? Like a real bullet? Do you live a conceal and carry state? Who has a firearm ready to shoot at a dog? That sounds pretty traumatic to witness. And the small dog died too?
Anonymous 9

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:29 pm
Anonymous 10 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:46 am If there weren't sections for different size dogs, then the large dog owner should have stepped and removed the dog before the small dog owner did it for them. We don't go to the dog park anymore because a few years ago we saw a dog maced then shot because it wouldn't release a small dog. We grabbed our fur baby's and got the hell out of there
Wait?!? Like a real bullet? Do you live a conceal and carry state? Who has a firearm ready to shoot at a dog? That sounds pretty traumatic to witness. And the small dog died too?
You don't have to have a conceal permit to carry here. A lot of people carry their hand guns all over and are ready if needed. Not sure if that's a southern thing but ive only ever lived in the south and that's how it's done here as far as carrying a weapon. Our dog parks have separate places for big and small dogs.
Anonymous 10

Unread post

Yes, real bullets. No, we live in a "will issue with restrictions" state, lol We have ccp's, but didn't have a gum with us because I never carried mine out of the house or off the property until the covid lockdown last year. We were on the other side of the enclosed area and it sounded like fireworks. We didn't know what was going on, both dog owners were yelling at each other but it didn't seem that serious until we heard "Pop Pop". The big dog fell over and the small dog crawled out of his mouth and away, after that real mayhem ensued with blood curdling screams & hollering. We saw blood flowing and at that point, we grabbed our tiny fluff-balls and skedaddled. According to the nextdoor app the big died and the little dog had injuries but was expected to survive.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 10 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:31 pm
Yes, real bullets. No, we live in a "will issue with restrictions" state, lol We have ccp's, but didn't have a gum with us because I never carried mine out of the house or off the property until the covid lockdown last year. We were on the other side of the enclosed area and it sounded like fireworks. We didn't know what was going on, both dog owners were yelling at each other but it didn't seem that serious until we heard "Pop Pop". The big dog fell over and the small dog crawled out of his mouth and away, after that real mayhem ensued with blood curdling screams & hollering. We saw blood flowing and at that point, we grabbed our tiny fluff-balls and skedaddled. According to the nextdoor app the big died and the little dog had injuries but was expected to survive.
Holy Crap! I don't think I could ever go back to a dog park if I had witnessed something like that. Did the shooter get arrested or charged or anything? I'm wondering because in my city it's illegal to discharge a firearm within city limits, and the dog park is within city limits. So if someone did that here they would at the very least get slapped with that charge. I really don't think self-defense for a dog would apply.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 10 wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:31 pm
That is so messed up. I cannot even imagine.
Locked Previous topicNext topic