Dogpark Etiquette

Deleted User 670

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:55 pm You take your dog to the dog park. Group of large dogs are running around. Someone comes in with a smaller (like 15-20 pound range) dog. Small dog starts playing with some bigger dogs, rubbing around, play wrestling, etc, having a good time. A couple large dogs start ganging up on the small dog, pin the small dog down with their mouths, growling at them when they try to stand, not allowing them to move. Small dog owner tries to call their dog to them to go play in a different part of the park, dog tries to go to them, but the large dogs pin the small dog whenever it moves and follow them.

Should large dogs owner be expected to leave if they can't get their dog to stop behaving aggressively to smaller dogs? Should small dogs owner be expected to leave because they don't want their dog getting beat on because that's expected at a dogpark?
Yes the owners of the big dogs picking on the little ones are assholes if they don't take their dog and leave. And all dogs should behave at a dog park. If they can't then they don't belong at a dog park.
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:06 pm Every dog park I’ve been to has separate areas for large dogs and small dogs. (Completely fenced off with signs noting which area is for what size.) Is the dog park in this scenario different?
That is how it is here too.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Any dog park I have ever been at, there is a separate area for the smaller dogs. While I think the big dog owners should make sure their dogs behave, the small dog owner has a responsibility to put their dog in the correct area.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

I don't take my dogs to dog parks because I don't trust other dogs. Dogs like to attack my big dog. He is like a magnet for them. He doesn't start it, but he finishes it. People just stand by and let their dogs run wild and do whatever they want.

All dogs should behave at a park.
Danesmommy1
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

The small dog shouldn't be in the big dog area, this is all on the little dog's owner.
She is too fond of books and it has turned her brain.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Danesmommy1 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:01 am The small dog shouldn't be in the big dog area, this is all on the little dog's owner.
There is no small dog big dogs area
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I think the dogs that are being aggressive, need to leave. That's not safe for any dog. And the small dog needs to be kept in the small dog area.

I would have removed my dog if he was being the bully. Also, if my small dog was being bullied, I would have removed him too.

Anonymous 6

Unread post

Not sure why the large dog's owner didn't just remove their dog from the small dog and move it to a different area of the park from the very beginning.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I’m not familiar with dog parks and their rules; however, I would think that the dog being aggressive with others should be removed no matter the size.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

This is a case of had to be there. The larger dogs could have been pinning the little dog down because the little dog was getting too aggressive in play and they were telling it to settle the f**k down in dog language (pinning and growling.as warning).

Regardless of the situation however it is the responsibility of ALL dog owners to monitor their dog's play and remove their own dog from the situation or divert their dog's attention back to appropriate play. You say the little dog's owner "called" to their dog but an attentive pet owner would have gotten up off their ass and walked to their dog and removed relocated it to the different area. Same with the larger dog owners. All were in the wrong here and need to brush up on their dog training and etiquette.
Locked Previous topicNext topic