That discomfort you're feeling

Anonymous 1

Unread post

https://hbr.org/2020/03/that-discomfort ... WxMLQPvU_8
Some of the HBR edit staff met virtually the other day — a screen full of faces in a scene becoming more common everywhere. We talked about the content we’re commissioning in this harrowing time of a pandemic and how we can help people. But we also talked about how we were feeling. One colleague mentioned that what she felt was grief. Heads nodded in all the panes.

You said we’re feeling more than one kind of grief?

Yes, we’re also feeling anticipatory grief. Anticipatory grief is that feeling we get about what the future holds when we’re uncertain. Usually it centers on death. We feel it when someone gets a dire diagnosis or when we have the normal thought that we’ll lose a parent someday. Anticipatory grief is also more broadly imagined futures. There is a storm coming. There’s something bad out there. With a virus, this kind of grief is so confusing for people. Our primitive mind knows something bad is happening, but you can’t see it. This breaks our sense of safety. We’re feeling that loss of safety. I don’t think we’ve collectively lost our sense of general safety like this. Individually or as smaller groups, people have felt this. But all together, this is new. We are grieving on a micro and a macro level.

One particularly troubling aspect of this pandemic is the open-endedness of it.

This is a temporary state. It helps to say it. I worked for 10 years in the hospital system. I’ve been trained for situations like this. I’ve also studied the 1918 flu pandemic. The precautions we’re taking are the right ones. History tells us that. This is survivable. We will survive. This is a time to overprotect but not overreact.
there's more in the article
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I'm definitely identifying with anticipatory grief. While I'm a bit anxious for myself if I get the virus, I'm most anxious for the people I love and hoping they all survive. And thinking about who might not if they become infected. Its a terrible thought pattern. I didn't know it had a name.
stilltfez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

this was an interesting article, thank you for sharing it.
Total absence of humor renders life impossible
Locked Previous topicNext topic