Dogpark Etiquette

Anonymous 1

Unread post

You take your dog to the dog park. Group of large dogs are running around. Someone comes in with a smaller (like 15-20 pound range) dog. Small dog starts playing with some bigger dogs, rubbing around, play wrestling, etc, having a good time. A couple large dogs start ganging up on the small dog, pin the small dog down with their mouths, growling at them when they try to stand, not allowing them to move. Small dog owner tries to call their dog to them to go play in a different part of the park, dog tries to go to them, but the large dogs pin the small dog whenever it moves and follow them.

Should large dogs owner be expected to leave if they can't get their dog to stop behaving aggressively to smaller dogs? Should small dogs owner be expected to leave because they don't want their dog getting beat on because that's expected at a dogpark?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Every dog park I’ve been to has separate areas for large dogs and small dogs. (Completely fenced off with signs noting which area is for what size.) Is the dog park in this scenario different?
Gorilla_Mama
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:06 pm Every dog park I’ve been to has separate areas for large dogs and small dogs. (Completely fenced off with signs noting which area is for what size.) Is the dog park in this scenario different?
This has been my experience too
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I personally will say I stopped taking my big dog to the dog park because he’d get aggressive over his or other dog’s water bowls. No one get onto me. I felt that was best. I just took him to the dog beach or other parks where we didn’t have that problem. So yes I think all dog owners should watch their dogs behavior. At the time which was 1999 or 2000 the parks were all sizes in one area.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:55 pm You take your dog to the dog park. Group of large dogs are running around. Someone comes in with a smaller (like 15-20 pound range) dog. Small dog starts playing with some bigger dogs, rubbing around, play wrestling, etc, having a good time. A couple large dogs start ganging up on the small dog, pin the small dog down with their mouths, growling at them when they try to stand, not allowing them to move. Small dog owner tries to call their dog to them to go play in a different part of the park, dog tries to go to them, but the large dogs pin the small dog whenever it moves and follow them.

Should large dogs owner be expected to leave if they can't get their dog to stop behaving aggressively to smaller dogs? Should small dogs owner be expected to leave because they don't want their dog getting beat on because that's expected at a dogpark?
From my perspective, if a dog is not well enough behaved to be called off a smaller dog or vice versa, the dog needs to leave. In other words, if the large dogs were pinning the smaller dog -- the large dog owners need to call their dogs off and have them sit or leave.

But truthfully, we don't go to the dog park any more, because on a rare occasion, my dog gets small- dog syndrome and tries to flex his menacing 13 pounds, usually to German Shepherds or a Great Dane. During these episodes he won't obey my commands, so I think that is rude to subject others too.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

big dog needs to leave in that case. so many people think their out of control dogs are ok off a leash. if they don't follow commands, they need to be on a leash.

had a huge lab off leash run out of wooded area like a bat out of hell, way ahead of her owner onto the kids playground at the park and slammed my 3 year old to the ground, her knees got all scraped up and the dog's owner just said, sorry, she loves kids! um, IDC get your out of control dog on a leash. do you think the dumb woman leashed her at that point? no.
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

The unruly dog needs to leave.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:30 pm big dog needs to leave in that case. so many people think their out of control dogs are ok off a leash. if they don't follow commands, they need to be on a leash.

had a huge lab off leash run out of wooded area like a bat out of hell, way ahead of her owner onto the kids playground at the park and slammed my 3 year old to the ground, her knees got all scraped up and the dog's owner just said, sorry, she loves kids! um, IDC get your out of control dog on a leash. do you think the dumb woman leashed her at that point? no.
Yeah one Halloween someone’s dog got out and chased my kid. And the woman couldn’t control the damn mutt. I’ve told ds not to run away but if something bigger than you is headed your way what’s would you do? One time it was a chilulah or whatever you called those mean little dogs. (I’ve got the worse spell check) Ds is a teenager and he’s still not fond of dogs. He’ll tolerate them that’s it. And I blame stupid pet owners that don’t bother to do even basic training.
mojogirl
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I'm honestly surprised dog parks are still a thing. People are so irresponsible with their pets.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I have a large dog and I would have removed her from the situation.
Locked Previous topicNext topic