COVID-19 emails from Nashville mayor's office show disturbing revelation

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:56 am
SallyMae wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:39 am
Frau Holle wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 10:57 am Here’s the thing though,

We can’t just all go home, lock ourselves inside and slowly die alone because we fear death.
First of all, that is not what happens. For one, other countries did shorter, more effective lockdowns and then got back out. For two, being in quarantine sucks but it is not the equivalent of dying alone, whereas expiring in a quarantine tent at the hospital exactly is. Quarantine at home is not worse.

Secondly, we don't even have to stay inside if we take reasonable precautions like masks and social distancing. Commerce and life go on, cautiously but safely.

Thirdly, refusing to take reasonable precautions like masks is not helping. It doesn't make the virus affect less people or go away quicker and it doesn't get people safely back into the restaurants and theaters. It prolongs the crisis.

The only thing that will address the problem is a group effort based on facts. Spreading conspiracy theory level misinformation does not prevent the going home, the locking inside, and the slowly dying of fear. It makes it worse.
For the people who have died alone, at home, after weeks of being there alone... it is the same. They number in the thousands also.
We’re seeing the highest suicide rate now since WW2.
Thousands of people are dying from preventable diseases because they’re too scared to go to the hospital, because they might get COVID and die.
Depression rates are skyrocketing, domestic abuse is rampant, and things are only looking to get worse.
Suicide rates have been rising in the US for the last 20 years but you're right, we are seeing a spike this year due to Covid and racial unrest. The highest rise in suicide rates is among those who are most vulnerable to Covid and those who have contracted Covid. What should we be doing to protect those vulnerable populations?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:05 am
SallyMae wrote: Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:39 am

First of all, that is not what happens. For one, other countries did shorter, more effective lockdowns and then got back out. For two, being in quarantine sucks but it is not the equivalent of dying alone, whereas expiring in a quarantine tent at the hospital exactly is. Quarantine at home is not worse.

Secondly, we don't even have to stay inside if we take reasonable precautions like masks and social distancing. Commerce and life go on, cautiously but safely.

Thirdly, refusing to take reasonable precautions like masks is not helping. It doesn't make the virus affect less people or go away quicker and it doesn't get people safely back into the restaurants and theaters. It prolongs the crisis.

The only thing that will address the problem is a group effort based on facts. Spreading conspiracy theory level misinformation does not prevent the going home, the locking inside, and the slowly dying of fear. It makes it worse.
For the people who have died alone, at home, after weeks of being there alone... it is the same. They number in the thousands also.
Thousands of people are dying from preventable diseases because they’re too scared to go to the hospital, because they might get COVID and die.
Depression rates are skyrocketing, domestic abuse is rampant, and things are only looking to get worse.
Suicide rates have been rising in the US for the last 20 years but you're right, we are seeing a spike this year due to Covid and racial unrest. The highest rise in suicide rates is among those who are most vulnerable to Covid and those who have contracted Covid. What should we be doing to protect those vulnerable populations?
Do you mean older people when you say those most vulnerable?

I suppose I can talk from that angle... We need socialization also. A deep fear sets in after your 70th birthday that tells you this might be your last decade. It's not a fear of death, it's a fear of missing out on all the moments with your loved ones... not seeing the moments that you have always held with such extreme importance.

With that fear already there for older people, covid begins.
At first it's fine. Two weeks is nothing. Let's make some stews, have some bonfires and just relax.
But then two months go by and you haven't seen your children or grandchild.
then six months go by. You have just missed her entire newborn stage without even meeting her.

Then they start talking about this going on for years. Years you don't have left, and years that will be the last chances you get to see your family evolve and grow.

Depression sets in at that point, and people start losing hope.

I say again... We can't just accept going home to die alone while waving goodbye for years on a computer screen. It would be a fate worse than death.
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:19 am

I suppose I can talk from that angle... We need socialization also. A deep fear sets in after your 70th birthday that tells you this might be your last decade. It's not a fear of death, it's a fear of missing out on all the moments with your loved ones... not seeing the moments that you have always held with such extreme importance.

At first it's fine. Two weeks is nothing. Let's make some stews, have some bonfires and just relax.
then six months go by. You have just missed her entire newborn stage without even meeting her.

Then they start talking about this going on for years. Years you don't have left, and years that will be the last chances you get to see your family evolve and grow.

I say again... We can't just accept going home to die alone while waving goodbye for years on a computer screen. It would be a fate worse than death.
"Who are most at-risk right now?
Certain populations are more at risk for potential suicidal thoughts, the New England Journal of Medicine says.

These include people who have contracted COVID-19, those with preexisting conditions/immuno-compromised individuals, and those with histories of substances abuse.

Younger people, Latinx and Black populations are the most vulnerable right now, data shows.

The rates of those reported having seriously considered suicide in the 30 days before the June CDC survey are higher among those between ages 18-24 (25.5%), essential workers (21.7%), and minority racial/ethnic groups (18.6% Hispanic, 15.1% non-Hispanic Black).

Another population of concern are the elderly, many of whom find themselves in nursing homes or assisted-living facilities, nation and statewide."

https://www.kxan.com/news/coronavirus/a ... -pandemic/
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:23 am

Certain populations are more at risk for potential suicidal thoughts, the New England Journal of Medicine says.

These include people who have contracted COVID-19, those with preexisting conditions/immuno-compromised individuals, and those with histories of substances abuse.

Younger people, Latinx and Black populations are the most vulnerable right now, data shows.

The rates of those reported having seriously considered suicide in the 30 days before the June CDC survey are higher among those between ages 18-24 (25.5%), essential workers (21.7%), and minority racial/ethnic groups (18.6% Hispanic, 15.1% non-Hispanic Black).

Another population of concern are the elderly, many of whom find themselves in nursing homes or assisted-living facilities, nation and statewide."

Are you going to share your own opinion on this issue, or is this for me to respond to another set of data?
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:30 am

Are you going to share your own opinion on this issue, or is this for me to respond to another set of data?
My own opinion is that the rise in suicide rates should have been addressed prior to Covid-19 and that the recent spike can not be solely attributed to shut down policies. Attributing it to shut down is an extremely simplistic response to a more complex problem. You can wax poetic about the plight of the poor elderly person, dying alone in a nursing home but the data shows that suicide rates have risen much more dramatically in other groups. Opening up the economy and easing restrictions on the population is not going to stem the rate of suicide in these groups but it sure makes for an easy, nice sounding response, especially for people who don't look at the data.
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:50 am

My own opinion is that the rise in suicide rates should have been addressed prior to Covid-19 and that the recent spike can not be solely attributed to shut down policies. Attributing it to shut down is an extremely simplistic response to a more complex problem. You can wax poetic about the plight of the poor elderly person, dying alone in a nursing home but the data shows that suicide rates have risen much more dramatically in other groups. Opening up the economy and easing restrictions on the population is not going to stem the rate of suicide in these groups but it sure makes for an easy, nice sounding response, especially for people who don't look at the data.
Ok then.

I suppose you might be better off asking the opinion of someone who can give you a first hand account of what it is like to be in each of those demographics and what they think should be done.

I can only give you the opinion of someone in my own position, but that does not seem to be something that you take seriously as an issue people are facing.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Frau Holle wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:56 am

Ok then.

I suppose you might be better off asking the opinion of someone who can give you a first hand account of what it is like to be in each of those demographics and what they think should be done.

I can only give you the opinion of someone in my own position, but that does not seem to be something that you take seriously as an issue people are facing.
Of course I take it seriously. I have for over a decade. I had parents who lived in a long term care facility, my father committed suicide, and my mother just moved into nursing care. I have spent the last 4 years delivering food to our county's low income seniors. Isolation of our senior population coupled with lack of financial resources for many of them has contributed to the high rate of suicide within that population. Covid is not the cause, the shut down is not the cause, and to imply that it is and that it will be solved by easing restrictions is incredibly dismissive of the long standing problems faced by that population.

Anecdotally, what I've seen in our community is those seniors who were isolated prior to the pandemic are still feeling isolated. Those who were not feeling isolated are not currently feeling isolated.

If you truly are concerned about the rise in suicide during the pandemic, I think you should look at the groups that are seeing a rise and try to figure out the cause. Is the rise of suicide among essential workers due to stress of working during a pandemic? Is the rise of suicide among minority groups due to the racial unrest in our country? Is the rise among younger adults due to financial insecurity? Is the rise of suicide among those who test positive due to the lack of health care options? I don't think that state's responses to the pandemic can be solely to blame. Our country had a sick population prior to the pandemic and we need to figure out how to make our population well when the pandemic ends.
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:31 pm
Frau Holle wrote: Wed Sep 23, 2020 11:56 am

Ok then.

Of course I take it seriously. I have for over a decade. I had parents who lived in a long term care facility, my father committed suicide, and my mother just moved into nursing care. I have spent the last 4 years delivering food to our county's low income seniors. Isolation of our senior population coupled with lack of financial resources for many of them has contributed to the high rate of suicide within that population. Covid is not the cause, the shut down is not the cause, and to imply that it is and that it will be solved by easing restrictions is incredibly dismissive of the long standing problems faced by that population.

Anecdotally, what I've seen in our community is those seniors who were isolated prior to the pandemic are still feeling isolated. Those who were not feeling isolated are not currently feeling isolated.

If you truly are concerned about the rise in suicide during the pandemic, I think you should look at the groups that are seeing a rise and try to figure out the cause. Is the rise of suicide among essential workers due to stress of working during a pandemic? Is the rise of suicide among minority groups due to the racial unrest in our country? Is the rise among younger adults due to financial insecurity? Is the rise of suicide among those who test positive due to the lack of health care options? I don't think that state's responses to the pandemic can be solely to blame. Our country had a sick population prior to the pandemic and we need to figure out how to make our population well when the pandemic ends.
That is kind of what I am saying though, since I am an older woman who has dealt with those feelings of depression, I can give insight into why people in my demographic do feel this way. And I am not talking about nursing home patients, Just people over 70.

I cannot answer for any other demographic and I think it would be detrimental to those groups for me to try to answer for them, their voices need to be heard to understand what they are going through, just as my voice can only describe what I go through. For many of us, the shutdowns, travel restrictions and isolation have been the cause of major depressive episodes.
Locked Previous topicNext topic