In order to end racism....

Mamaof5
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Not to mention the fact that people are encouraged to live segregated. POC are often put in poor neighborhoods with underfunded schools, etc.

Racism is ingrained into the fabric of American society. From neighborhoods, to schools, to jobs, to the justice system, etc. I doubt we’ll ever really get rid of it, at least in our lifetime. Affirmative action and similar programs attempt to address just a tiny bit of the problem.
Olioxenfree wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:24 pm It has nothing to do with not being willing to "bust your ass", it's about many people not being born into situations where they have any opportunity to "bust their ass." The kid who was born in a school district that is severely underfunded and overcrowded being they live in a low income neighborhood with low property taxes is not going to have the same shot at being accepted to those top universities as the kid born in the well funded school district whose parents can afford them every tutor and extra curricular that they would need.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:12 pm For the same reason there are few qualified white men for these jobs. Not all that many people are willing to bust their asses getting multiple degrees from top schools to work 100 hours for years and years so they can one day, possibly, bring in a 7 figure income and work somewhat, but not substantially, fewer hours.
Anonymous 4 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:03 pm

And why do you think that is?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Let’s address underfunded schools, but why do we need to consider a physical characteristic while we do that? No current school child was segregated based on race or ethnicity.

Offering a leg up to African Americans isn’t appropriate or necessary. Doing so just promotes racism.
I’m
Mamaof4 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:22 pm Not to mention the fact that people are encouraged to live segregated. POC are often put in poor neighborhoods with underfunded schools, etc.

Racism is ingrained into the fabric of American society. From neighborhoods, to schools, to jobs, to the justice system, etc. I doubt we’ll ever really get rid of it, at least in our lifetime. Affirmative action and similar programs attempt to address just a tiny bit of the problem.
Olioxenfree wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:24 pm It has nothing to do with not being willing to "bust your ass", it's about many people not being born into situations where they have any opportunity to "bust their ass." The kid who was born in a school district that is severely underfunded and overcrowded being they live in a low income neighborhood with low property taxes is not going to have the same shot at being accepted to those top universities as the kid born in the well funded school district whose parents can afford them every tutor and extra curricular that they would need.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 4:12 pm For the same reason there are few qualified white men for these jobs. Not all that many people are willing to bust their asses getting multiple degrees from top schools to work 100 hours for years and years so they can one day, possibly, bring in a 7 figure income and work somewhat, but not substantially, fewer hours.

Anonymous 6

Unread post

It's human nature to gravitate to and live among those most similar to us. We're more comfortable around those we have things in common with. How are people "put" anywhere? People make choices of where they live.
Mamaof4 wrote: Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:22 pm Not to mention the fact that people are encouraged to live segregated. POC are often put in poor neighborhoods with underfunded schools, etc.

SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

American elites created racism with Bacon's Rebellion and have used it since to keep the lowest classes fighting each other while they make off with all of society's resources.

The cure for racism is for everyone to have enough.
stilltfez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I'm not going to read 7 pages of opinions. I'll just give mine.

I think we should work towards an end goal of hopefully eliminating programs like those mentioned. But to expect to cut everything off and just let people suffer is ridiculous, Before we go to the extreme many of you want, let's fix the education system, fix our job prep programs.

How do many of you expect people to just improve to a level you want, after being cut off from the only $ they have coming in? That's kind of what you're saying (some of you) you want "them" to be cut off but you also want "them" to deal with it. How do they do that when education is the key and we have deliberately destroyed the inner city's schools? we underfunded, removed the budgets for books, teachers, etc. or for some of you (you know exactly who you are) it doesn't matter because the "them" you want to suffer is the "them" you don't consider worthwhile? Many complaining about social service funds really don't want "them" in their neighborhoods. They don't want "them" in the same places they go. They just want "them" to stop making static because it's disrupting their perfect little world.

Education is the key to equality and self-sufficient-ness. until we fix the public schools, nothing will change but to be completely honest, many don't want changes to occur, they just want "them" to either shut up about it or disappear.

That is my opinion. You do not need to agree. I' perfectly fine with you not agreeing.
Total absence of humor renders life impossible
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

No. Until we actually do have a society that is colorblind then we should be giving people of color extra support.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Anonymous 6 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:44 am It's human nature to gravitate to and live among those most similar to us. We're more comfortable around those we have things in common with. How are people "put" anywhere? People make choices of where they live.

Humans also gravitate to areas where they have opportunity. It was one of the reasons that Blacks gravitated to urban areas during Reconstruction and created thriving neighborhoods within these areas. When industry shut down in urban areas and moved to the suburbs, Blacks were prohibited from following the industry due to redlining. This was purposeful.
Anonymous 5

Unread post

EarlGrayHot wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 8:32 am No. Until we actually do have a society that is colorblind then we should be giving people of color extra support.
I actually think that is a more racist opinion.
It needs the basis of thinking that white people are smarter, stronger and more capable, and everyone else in the world needs much more help to get up to their level.
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I do agree with this. I would like to see the country come together and be unified despite someone's race, instead of divided because of it.

SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Capitalism does not provide for everyone. Capitalist economies cannot function without generous social aid. We should be trying to make ours more generous, for everyone at every level. Many other countries do, and they are doing better. They have better health, better education. It works.

Everyone from the middle class down in our system is fighting for scraps. We should also require that working people get massive pay raises. They are doing the actual production that is making a few rich. They deserve a much larger share of their own production.

Our current intense race crisis is a symptom of mass deprivation. When people are getting a fair share of their work and when there are generous social support systems, they are far less concerned about tribal markers like race.
Locked Previous topicNext topic