Opened someone's mail

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I recently moved into a new rental. It's a single home. I got my mail today and saw something from the school system. I work for them, and my children attend. I didn't look at who it was addressed to just saw it was from the schools and opened it. It was a check for a previous resident (who happens to be the landlords daughter)

Now what should I do? Tape it back up and put return to sender? Call the landlord and have him come get it?

It really was an accident and I want this girl to get her check.

Can I get in trouble for this?
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Call the landlord and let them know.

I’ve done it many times, even with packages (obviously o was expecting some too). I just seal them up with a little note and if I know where the person lives I will drop it off personally.
Gorilla_Mama
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I’d call the landlord and explain. I’ve done it too. It happens.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

We were accidentally mailed someone's check from a company we have our FSA through. Like you I didn't look at the name. Since they were too far to drop it off I called the company and explained. They issued him a new check.
Nopeville
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

LuckyEightWow wrote: Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:49 pm Call the landlord and let them know.

I’ve done it many times, even with packages (obviously o was expecting some too). I just seal them up with a little note and if I know where the person lives I will drop it off personally.
I would do this. We have been in our house 12 years and we still get stuff for previous tenants. At this point it all goes straight into recycling.
mrsjules79
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Just call the landlord. It’s an easy mistake to make and I doubt they’d be upset.
Crazymom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

You’re not going to get in trouble, the law is for if you intentionally open someone’s mail for illegal reasons.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Just call them and say hey i got this mail thought it was for me, opened it and it was not. Would you like to pick it up or should i bring it over to you?
It's really not that hard.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

I'd call the landlord and say, "Hey! There's a piece of opened mail here for your daughter. What would you like me to do with it?"
Anonymous 4

Unread post

I'd call the landlord and say, "Hey! There's a piece of opened mail here for your daughter. What would you like me to do with it?"
Locked Previous topicNext topic