What is the morally correct thing to do?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Say you and your boyfriend are talking about marriage and you both agree neither of you want children. But you end up pregnant. You decide abortion is the right way to go. Of course what you choose to do is your right and you are not obligated to speak with your boyfriend about your choice of having an abortion. But would it be morally right to not tell him about it at all? Or do you think he doesn't need to know? Do you think this would create trust issues should he find out? Does he deserve to know? What if you thought you were saving him from dealing with a stressful situation?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Yes, I think he ethically has a right to know. Yes, I think their would likely be some serious trust issues created by trying to keep that hidden. A relationship should be able to work through difficult things. Lies, deception, and hiding the truth are a different story.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I absolutely disagree with the thinking that men don't get a say. It's half his child and he should be told and have a say.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:36 am Yes, I think he ehtically has a right to know. Yes, I think their would likely be some serious trust issues created by trying to keep that hidden.
Not that I'm arguing with you about it, but why do you feel it's an ethical issue? If you were going to have the abortion anyway and he was already against having children to begin with, why would it matter to him?
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Morally, the right thing to do is to tell him. Ultimately, it's your decision what you do with your body but this is a decision that affects him as well. If you kept this from you there's a very real chance it would ruin your relationship in the future - either because you're filled wiht guilt over not telling him or he finds out in the future.

the only time I would say you could keep the information from him would be if you were in an abusive relationship where your life was at risk if he knew or he was in a mental state that telling him would cause him to be at risk - not "if don't want to stress him" but "if he had to deal with this right now he would hurt himself or others"
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:39 am I absolutely disagree with the thinking that men don't get a say. It's half his child and he should be told and have a say.
I can see your point. But what if he was against having children to begin with? Surely he would have been on board with the abortion, so why would he need to know about it?
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Yes he deserves to know
Msprekteacher
Regent
Regent

Unread post

He absolutely has a right to know. He may not have changed his mind but he could at least be of support.
Anonymous 4

Unread post

If we were both so against having children, we would have already discussed what should happen if I were to fall pregnant. In fact, I've had that discussion in the past.
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:43 am
Valentina327 wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 11:39 am I absolutely disagree with the thinking that men don't get a say. It's half his child and he should be told and have a say.
I can see your point. But what if he was against having children to begin with? Surely he would have been on board with the abortion, so why would he need to know about it?
Not wanting to be a parent is a different issue than supporting a women's right to have abortion. You can not want children and still be against abortion.

In this situation if the women felt there was a need to keep this decision to herself than she should do so. But that would make me think there is already a problem in this relationship. If you can't confide in your partner and feel comfortable they will support your choice, than maybe they aren't the right person for you.
Locked Previous topicNext topic