The new nurse was fired because she wouldn't give medication that went against her personal beliefs

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I work in a labor and delivery unit at my local hospital. A new co-worker was let go yesterday after she refused to give methotrexate to a woman who had an ectopic pregnancy. The medication stops the pregnancy and the body absorbs it so that the tube does not rupture.

The nurse was saying she didn't want to stop a beating heart and that it was an abortion drug.

Our entire patient assignments had to be changed to accommodate her not caring for the patient which messed with the flow and irritated patients. Plus the with the ectopic pregnancy was even more upset.

At the nurses previous job doctors would give the medication and not the nurses.

She was let go for not performing her job. As a nurse your personal opinion should not impact the care you give. Your patient should always come first and your opinion doesn't matter. She is lucky the patients tube didn't rupture or she would be facing much worse.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:16 pm I work in a labor and delivery unit at my local hospital. A new co-worker was let go yesterday after she refused to give methotrexate to a woman who had an ectopic pregnancy. The medication stops the pregnancy and the body absorbs it so that the tube does not rupture.

The nurse was saying she didn't want to stop a beating heart and that it was an abortion drug.

Our entire patient assignments had to be changed to accommodate her not caring for the patient which messed with the flow and irritated patients. Plus the with the ectopic pregnancy was even more upset.

At the nurses previous job doctors would give the medication and not the nurses.

She was let go for not performing her job. As a nurse your personal opinion should not impact the care you give. Your patient should always come first and your opinion doesn't matter. She is lucky the patients tube didn't rupture or she would be facing much worse.
2/10 At least it wasn’t BM is mad, I guess. Better luck next time. (Bonus troll tip: the 3rd paragraph is the biggest problem.)
WickedPissah
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:45 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:16 pm I work in a labor and delivery unit at my local hospital. A new co-worker was let go yesterday after she refused to give methotrexate to a woman who had an ectopic pregnancy. The medication stops the pregnancy and the body absorbs it so that the tube does not rupture.

2/10 At least it wasn’t BM is mad, I guess. Better luck next time. (Bonus troll tip: the 3rd paragraph is the biggest problem.)
What's wrong with the 3rd paragraph?
I shit glitter
leadfoot40
Regent
Regent

Unread post

sigh
xsxpxixdxexrxsx
Regent
Regent

Unread post

They made the right call. She's in the wrong profession IMO. Your beliefs should never get in the way of someone else's medical treatment.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

WickedPissah wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:41 am

I'd assume in the unlikely event this actually came up another nurse could give the medication. No need to disrupt much of anything. But I doubt it happened since every nurse probably understands such a pregnancy won't survive anyway. Even Catholic hospitals have more sense than this.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:45 am

I'd assume in the unlikely event this actually came up another nurse could give the medication. No need to disrupt much of anything. But I doubt it happened since every nurse probably understands such a pregnancy won't survive anyway. Even Catholic hospitals have more sense than this.
Someone has to be closely monitored after they receive the injection. It isn't as easy as giving them medicine and leaving. We had to rearrange a bunch of stuff to be able to make sure no one had too much acuity.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:49 am
Pjmm wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:45 am
Someone has to be closely monitored after they receive the injection. It isn't as easy as giving them medicine and leaving. We had to rearrange a bunch of stuff to be able to make sure no one had too much acuity.
The original nurse can monitor the patient. After all she just said she wouldn't administer the drug right? Or If she won't do that she just switches one patient with another nurse.
agander2017
Monkey's Mama
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I can see if it was against the patient's beliefs, but the nurse's should never even come into play here. With an EP there really is not another choice though. :(

Anonymous 3

Unread post

Sure another nurse post.
Locked Previous topicNext topic