I think schools should be segregated.....

SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:18 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:25 am
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 1:11 am

The true problem is how schools are funded. They're funded mostly at the local level. Richer counties get better schools than rural or poorer ones.
You can throw as much money as you want into an inner city school, but if a meaningful percentage of the parents and students don’t give a f**k it won’t make any difference at all. Decrease the funding for those that don’t care and throw that additional money into separate schools for students and parents that make an EFFORT. I’m not suggesting reducing funding based on performance at all, but rather based on effort and involvement.
That's racial bias right there. Inner city parents DO care.
Thank you for seeing through the bullshit to the heart of the matter. You are good at this.

SummerDream
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Getting rid of teacher’s unions would be a great place to start. Next get rid of all the testing that is currently required.
SummerDream
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Getting rid of teacher’s unions would be a great place to start. Next get rid of all the testing that is currently required.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

PoplarGrove wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:26 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 11:54 am

Many do care, but there is a meaningful proportion that do not. My suggestion is to generally INCREASE funding for inner city schools, but to make those better schools only available to children that attend school, turn in assignments, and are generally not disruptive in class (or if they are disruptive to work with the PARENT to put a plan in place to correct the problem). If you don’t do your job, you will get fired. I’m suggesting you fire students that don’t do their job once it becomes abundantly clear that the parent is unwilling to take steps to ensure the student does his or her job.
So, in your plan, do you also have testing in place to make sure these students who are disruptive or "don't care" to make sure they don't have developmental delays, learning disabilities or mental health issues that are impacting their ability to function in the classroom? Are you going to implement some sort of universal income so children from low income families have as much time and resources to do things like homework as wealthier students instead of working 30 hours a week after school to help support the family and affordable daycare so 12 year olds aren't having to choose between looking after their younger siblings until bedtime while the parents work 3 jobs to pay the rent?

You plan sounds a whole lot like "f**k the poor even more than we already f**k them" when it comes to education. Unless you are willing to remove the barriers that contribute to your view of "not caring" punishing those who are already in a cycle of poverty isn't going to help things. Inner city kids appear to not give a f**k because they're more worried about surviving.
That’s complete bullshit. You are enabling crappy parents that are full of nothing but excuses as to why they are incapable of prioritizing their children’s education in any way, shape, or form. I volunteer at a food bank and upon intake new clients are made aware of a plethora of services and programs that are available to them and their children (if applicable). We offer all sorts of help in applying for said programs and in addition have all sorts of emergency assistance available for people who are in really dire situations. When schools moved to distance learning, we collected used tablets and started offering assistance to pay for internet to support distance learning.

People need to take some personal responsibility. Help is absolutely available to those that spend just a little bit of time focusing on helping themselves and their families.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

SallyMae wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:49 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 10:25 am

You can throw as much money as you want into an inner city school, but if a meaningful percentage of the parents and students don’t give a f**k it won’t make any difference at all. Decrease the funding for those that don’t care and throw that additional money into separate schools for students and parents that make an EFFORT. I’m not suggesting reducing funding based on performance at all, but rather based on effort and involvement.
Thank you for seeing through the bullshit to the heart of the matter. You are good at this.

Are you suggesting that low income minority parents are more likely to not support their children’s education in anyway than low income white parents? That’s the only way what I’m suggesting is racially biased.....
SallyMae
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:02 pm

Many do care, but there is a meaningful proportion that do not. My suggestion is to generally INCREASE funding for inner city schools, but to make those better schools only available to children that attend school, turn in assignments, and are generally not disruptive in class (or if they are disruptive to work with the PARENT to put a plan in place to correct the problem). If you don’t do your job, you will get fired. I’m suggesting you fire students that don’t do their job once it becomes abundantly clear that the parent is unwilling to take steps to ensure the student does his or her job.
So, in your plan, do you also have testing in place to make sure these students who are disruptive or "don't care" to make sure they don't have developmental delays, learning disabilities or mental health issues that are impacting their ability to function in the classroom? Are you going to implement some sort of universal income so children from low income families have as much time and resources to do things like homework as wealthier students instead of working 30 hours a week after school to help support the family and affordable daycare so 12 year olds aren't having to choose between looking after their younger siblings until bedtime while the parents work 3 jobs to pay the rent?

You plan sounds a whole lot like "f**k the poor even more than we already f**k them" when it comes to education. Unless you are willing to remove the barriers that contribute to your view of "not caring" punishing those who are already in a cycle of poverty isn't going to help things. Inner city kids appear to not give a f**k because they're more worried about surviving.
That’s complete bullshit. You are enabling crappy parents that are full of nothing but excuses as to why they are incapable of prioritizing their children’s education in any way, shape, or form. I volunteer at a food bank and upon intake new clients are made aware of a plethora of services and programs that are available to them and their children (if applicable). We offer all sorts of help in applying for said programs and in addition have all sorts of emergency assistance available for people who are in really dire situations. When schools moved to distance learning, we collected used tablets and started offering assistance to pay for internet to support distance learning.

People need to take some personal responsibility. Help is absolutely available to those that spend just a little bit of time focusing on helping themselves and their families.
It's not the kids fault if they don't. We are here to take up the slack for each other. Those kids need us the the most.
HaggardWitch
Countess
Countess

Unread post

Imagine these kids as adults. After we throw away disadvantaged kids, whom else can we throw away?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

HaggardWitch wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 3:00 pm Imagine these kids as adults. After we throw away disadvantaged kids, whom else can we throw away?
Actually, I’m suggesting throwing away middle income and wealthy kids too. My proposal was to split schools by effort, and well fund the schools that have the kids who want to learn and parents who are at least willing to engage with teachers and staff when there is an issue. I want to put all of the disruptive kids (that choose that behavior, not children that are disruptive because of an issue the school and parents are actively working to address) that don’t do their work, skip class, and otherwise generally take time and resources away from students who value an education into poorly funded schools.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

If we are talking about parents who truly don't care, I think more often than not we are talking about parents with addictions - alcohol addictions, drug addictions, or whatever else they are addicted to that so wholly and completely consume them that even their own child pales in comparison.

So perhaps a better fix for these "don't care" parents is more effective involvement by CPS (to remove children from toxic homes) and better treatment programs to get these parents back on track.

In my experience, absent addictions, parents DO care and DO want to help. It's just quite possible they don't know HOW to help. And in that case parents need education just as much as the children do.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Aug 12, 2020 2:02 pm

Gee, I volunteer with our local youth counselling centre mentoring parents of children with emotional disorders and mental illnesses. Many of them are low income and can't afford to pay out of pocket for services their children need. Many of them are exhausted and aren't mentally or emotionally capable of fighting for their kids anymore. Some single moms are working 3 jobs to feed, clothe and house their children and are getting little help from society or their child's school. They have few waking hours to sit on hold trying to find the services they need only to find they're being sent in circles.

There are crappy parents out there who make excuses but you seem to be painting all of them with the same brush. Until you've walked in the shoes of a low income parent trying to get help for their child please don't judge others based on the small snap shot you see of them at your food bank. Pray tell... if a parent believes their child has a mental health disorder where exactly do they go to get this help you say is readily available? I'd like to tell all the parents I chat with online where it is because a lot of them haven't been able to find it from their local schools, doctors or hospitals. And for parents who thing their child has a learning disability where exactly do they go when the school tells them there's a 2 year waiting list for testing?
Locked Previous topicNext topic