If a child tests positive

highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I had to send the form for our intentions yesterday. DS is going to school in a hybird system, and will be quadmestered, with a maximum of 15 students per class and masks are required. We do not know how the hybird system will work until they have the number of students that intend to return to school. It could be every other day, three days in school three days on line, or the favoured five days in school then five days on line (broken into Thursday, Friday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday). It just depends on the numbers. We had 86 cases today in our province and our region had 0 new cases. If a child test positive I will following the recommended health mandates.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:05 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:50 am
WellPreserved wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:47 am DH and I are still debating about sending our son to in-person classes. We have to decide by Friday and school starts on Monday. The number of positive cases in our county is spiking so I assume there will be a Covid positive student or teacher in the classroom on Monday.
why are you still debating the issue if cases are spiking? seems like a no brainer to me...dont send him
I agree! Right now high schoolers will be in person one day a week. We are a small, rural community so that is going to look like 75-100 students in the school each day with about 5 to a classroom - social distancing and mask wearing will be enforced. Our son is SNs and while he can do online learning (we've been doing summer school online), he would really benefit from one day in person. DH's argument is that both he and I work outside the home so the chances of our son being exposed to Covid at home is greater than at school. I am hoping that the school cancels in person classes altogether to save us from having to make the decision.
The flip side of that argument is you have no idea who those kids or teachers have been around -- at all...no way of knowing.....at your employment, you would know if a co worker is out sick with it, wouldnt you? Not so with schools, and who goes where, comes into contact with whomever, and acquires the virus....so, is he truly safer at school from the virus? I doubt it.
Bubbs
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Depends. I would follow the protocol of the school.
Honey, I'm the original one-eyed chicklet in the kingdom of the blind, 'cause at least I admit the world makes me nuts.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:38 am
WellPreserved wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:05 am
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:50 am

why are you still debating the issue if cases are spiking? seems like a no brainer to me...dont send him
I agree! Right now high schoolers will be in person one day a week. We are a small, rural community so that is going to look like 75-100 students in the school each day with about 5 to a classroom - social distancing and mask wearing will be enforced. Our son is SNs and while he can do online learning (we've been doing summer school online), he would really benefit from one day in person. DH's argument is that both he and I work outside the home so the chances of our son being exposed to Covid at home is greater than at school. I am hoping that the school cancels in person classes altogether to save us from having to make the decision.
The flip side of that argument is you have no idea who those kids or teachers have been around -- at all...no way of knowing.....at your employment, you would know if a co worker is out sick with it, wouldnt you? Not so with schools, and who goes where, comes into contact with whomever, and acquires the virus....so, is he truly safer at school from the virus? I doubt it.
My husband's employment, that is the case. For me, I work with the public in a high traffic/tourism job. Where I work, it is impossible to social distance and proving difficult to enforce mask wearing requirements. DH and I worry all the time about my exposure even though I am taking as many personal precautions as I can. I have had known contact twice now and been tested (negative) both times. I feel as if I'm rolling the dice every time I go to work.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I would imagine the positive child would be quarantined. I'd get him tested and decide from there.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Not an issue here since we are 100% online and likely will be for a couple months.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Poietes wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:55 amno
I don't think you have a choice. What's happening right now is when a child tests positive the whole class has to go home and quarantine for two weeks. Unless you are in some rural remote area that doesn't follow the guidelines I can't imagine not shutting the class down for two weeks.
leadfoot40
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I am not sending her back to school, she is doing remote learning.
Poietes
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 4:46 pm
Poietes wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:55 amno
I don't think you have a choice. What's happening right now is when a child tests positive the whole class has to go home and quarantine for two weeks. Unless you are in some rural remote area that doesn't follow the guidelines I can't imagine not shutting the class down for two weeks.
🙄 Obviously I’ll follow whatever guidelines the school has. Quarantine for 2 weeks? Sure. But I’m not going to pull them out of school for the year like the original question asked.
”Just because you can doesn’t mean you should.”
Anonymous 5

Unread post

I wouldn’t have to. I’m sure it would be shut down immediately. Which is exactly what’s going to happen to most if not all in person schools. This is going to be a mess.
Locked Previous topicNext topic