Adoptions and ancestry.com

Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

My great great great grandmothers are the great great grandmothers of those who adopted me.
I actually have family trees from both my parents. Pretty extensive. Those are my ancestors.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 4:03 pm I understand that, but what if you want to look a bunch of generations up? To great-great-great-great grandmothers?
Momto2boys973 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:21 pm I feel completely different. Genes are so unimportant. For me, I have only one family and that’s the one that adopted me and have been there for me always. I have no ill to whoever my biological parents are, I’m very grateful that they chose to give he a chance at life, but just because they gave me some genes, they’re not my family.
I guess the bottom line about finding your ancestors is who contributed to make you the person you are. And for me, those are the people that came before those who made me who I am, which are the people that raised me. The others are just the people who have me my looks.
Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:01 am I would be more interested in finding bio family before adoptive family. I would put both men down and list one as her bio Dad and one as her adoptive Dad.

But I may be biased. We don't know who my grandpa's Dad was. So I have always wondered and would like to explore that lineage.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Anonymous 3

Unread post

You are looking for your ancestors, biological ancestors. Of course you would put down you biological family.
JoJo728
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

This is exactly the way I feel. I’m adopted as well. I never had any desire to find my biological parents. In 2018, I did get an Ancestry DNA test to see what ethnicity I was. I was a bit surprised to see that I had some 1st cousin matches. In the back of my mind, I knew it was a possibility but it seemed like a long shot. Anyway, I have never reached out. I have no interest. And they haven’t either.

On the other hand, I was contacted a few years ago by a researcher writing a book about my dad’s village and the people who came out of there. There is a whole chapter on my dad and that is what I connect with.
Momto2boys973 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:21 pm I feel completely different. Genes are so unimportant. For me, I have only one family and that’s the one that adopted me and have been there for me always. I have no ill to whoever my biological parents are, I’m very grateful that they chose to give he a chance at life, but just because they gave me some genes, they’re not my family.
I guess the bottom line about finding your ancestors is who contributed to make you the person you are. And for me, those are the people that came before those who made me who I am, which are the people that raised me. The others are just the people who have me my looks.
Anonymous 2 wrote: Fri Jul 31, 2020 11:01 am I would be more interested in finding bio family before adoptive family. I would put both men down and list one as her bio Dad and one as her adoptive Dad.

But I may be biased. We don't know who my grandpa's Dad was. So I have always wondered and would like to explore that lineage.
MomOfTwoBugs
Villein
Villein

Unread post

I’m adopted and I have a tree built for each. I feel like I would not be who I am without both sides so they both deserve to be listed.
Locked Previous topicNext topic