July Book Club!

LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Whatcha reading or listening to? What are you going to read/listen to for July?
Mamaof5
Marchioness
Marchioness

Unread post

Following for suggestions. I need to get back into reading
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I am still reading Stamped From the Beginning by Ibram X Kendi right now..300 pages left.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
stilltfez
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I'm reading 'The Wax Pack' by Brad Balukjian I'm copying the description: [/i] is there life after baseball? Starting from this simple question, The Wax Pack ends up with something much bigger and unexpected—a meditation on the loss of innocence and the gift of impermanence, for both Brad Balukjian and the former ballplayers he tracked down. To get a truly random sample of players, Balukjian followed this wildly absurd but fun-as-hell premise: he took a single pack of baseball cards from 1986 (the first year he collected cards), opened it, chewed the nearly thirty-year-old gum inside, gagged, and then embarked on a quest to find all the players in the pack. Absurd, maybe, but true. He took this trip solo in the summer of 2015, spanning 11,341 miles through thirty states in forty-eight days.[/i]

me again: it's for a book club I do with the historical baseball group for our city. the author is joining us in a zoom meet at the end of July. The book is actually quite good!
Total absence of humor renders life impossible
lauren08
Regent
Regent

Unread post

My new book just arrived today. It’s called The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn. I’ve heard great things about it, so I’m really excited to read it! In terms of listening, I typically listen to true crime podcasts. I’m not much of an audiobook person.
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Just finished Searching for Sunday by Rachel Held Evans. Was pretty good, but left me with more questions than answers.

Really loved The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks! Finished that a few months ago but it was so good!

Going to probably pick another title by Rachel Held Evans next.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:37 pm I am still reading Stamped From the Beginning by Ibram X Kendi right now..300 pages left.
I cheated and just finished listening to the YA version, Stamped.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:47 pm
mcginnisc wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 5:37 pm I am still reading Stamped From the Beginning by Ibram X Kendi right now..300 pages left.
Cheater!!!! LOL
It is such a hard read.. I'm not reading the YA version though..642 pages of horribleness. I really hate Thomas Jefferson now..
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Frau Holle
Regent
Regent

Unread post

The Daughters of Temperance Hobbs .

It’s a sequel to “The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane”.
“ I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night “ - Sarah Williams
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

mcginnisc wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:09 pm
LiveWhatULove wrote: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:47 pm
Cheater!!!! LOL
It is such a hard read.. I'm not reading the YA version though..642 pages of horribleness. I really hate Thomas Jefferson now..
Haha,

I was trying to find a book for my 10 & 12 year old to read to give more of a perspective on the BLM movements.

For me, it did pretty much make me hate nearly everyone in history. But then I have the fortune of being able to judge them using our current morals and societal norms. It’s easy to call Christopher Columbus and American founding fathers complete immoral, vile human-beings, when you only look through our current lens. With that said, I did enjoy the book. It was OK for the 12 year old, boy, not not for my 10 year old at all.
Locked Previous topicNext topic