Florida is a disaster zone. What else is new.

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:49 am Why are Americans such selfish assholes?
Why are you?
Mommamia
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Several lab companies that process coronavirus tests from Florida have reported incomplete data to the state, officials said Tuesday, creating discrepancies in the numbers public health officials rely on to track the pandemic across communities.

In some cases, labs reported positive test results, but did not report the number of negative test results.

That has the potential to skew a key statistic known as the positivity rate or the percent of tests that are positive. That measure is often used by public health officials to determine how widespread infections are in a community.

State officials acknowledged the problem on Tuesday, but did not provide specifics such as how many labs were reporting incomplete data. They said the problem was centered on small, private labs.

“The Department immediately began working with those labs to ensure that all results were being reported in order to provide comprehensive and transparent data,” the Florida Department of Health said in a statement. “As the state continues to receive results from various labs, the Department will continue educating these labs on proper protocol for reporting COVID-19 test results.”

It’s unclear how significantly the incomplete reporting may have altered the state’s virus statistics.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Pjmm wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:31 am
SouthernIslander wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:17 am
Pjmm wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 8:41 pm

I agree. We've had protests in Florida but not so many that we can blame our cases on them. What seems to me to be the problem is good old boys that see masks as the death of mom and apple pie. The people wailing over mandatory masks in city hall meetings are sickening. We have a governor with the common sense of a broken pencil. He opened too fast and other than closing bars won't do a damned thing to enforce masks or anything else. That's up to the counties to do with no help from anyone. And we've got people in south Florida coming from God knows where that either don't know or don't care about social distancing. And I swear the heat is good for this virus. It certainly isn't killing it. The only thing the heat is killing is our brain cells.
We had some in Dallas. It may have had an impact but minimal IMO. We’re having the same problems here and it has been draining. I can completely understand the people out of work but fighting over masks and social distancing? It’s ridiculous.

I heard about that! It is CRAZY how many people are still to Florida like there isn’t a pandemic. Seems so selfish to me.
Our county just imposed a mandatory mask ordinance for thirty days. I can't even look at the facebook page. You'd think our rights have been stripped. I want to scream what the ever living f**k do you idiots want-to go back into F***ing lockdown? It's going to come to that or we're going to have a high death rate. Someone literally said Lord help the victims of abuse who can't take anything covering their face. I'm like what? I hate things like shirts or blankets over my head. It makes me panic but I can still handle a mask. Okay maybe there are a few unfortunate souls who have that kind of terrible PTSD. If you do, get an exemption. Better yet, all our stores have delivery options for you. But I bet by and large most can handle a soft surgical mask. Idk what our problem is other than the heat and complete denial have softened our brains and hardened our hearts. And our governor isn't helping. Don't even get me started on DeVos. I tolerated her until she more or less said on CNN that school districts are on their own. Now I wish nothing more than to see the back of her leaving office.
I know. You would think since it didn’t work when we tried it thier way, they would be a little more reasonable. But nooooo.....still bitching about refusing to do the same things that got us here and will raise all kinds of hell when their behavior continues to cause COVID increases.

That’s what I do. I don’t like wearing masks at all, so I just minimize the amount of times I have to wear it by staying home unless I have to go into the office and adjust the way that I shop. I understand it’s harder for people in rural areas and but it isn’t difficult you live in a big city.

Trump is really pissing me off picking fights with these schools/universities to fuel his beef with Democrats. Picking on international students was bad enough. Now he is demanding that the schools open by the fall, knowing our numbers are in the toilet right now. I also tolerated Devos but she is trash for supporting his ridiculousness.

We are dealing with enough chaos and he just won’t stop.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

"Oh my G-d! Massive spike in cases! We'd better shut our lives down completely! Don't walk past anyone, you might kill their grandma! Tighten - no double your masks!"

This might have a little something to do with the "disaster zone" in FL.

Eh - 98% positives .... 9.4% positives. What's the difference? No big deal, right? LMMFAO.

What's a little overstating and over reporting among friends, huh? It's only a 90% inflation of positives.

Anyone figured out yet that we're being massively played? Anyone?

https://www.fox35orlando.com/news/fox-3 ... ssion=true
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:55 am "Oh my G-d! Massive spike in cases! We'd better shut our lives down completely! Don't walk past anyone, you might kill their grandma! Tighten - no double your masks!"

Eh - 98% positives .... 9.4% positives. What's the difference? No big deal, right? LMMFAO.

What's a little overstating and over reporting among friends, huh? It's only a 90% inflation of positives.

Reporting on the virus numbers in Florida seems to be troublesome from the start. It seems now that not all labs were sending in the negative results - some only sent in the positive numbers which is standard for other types of reporting.

Some news outlets then reported the Florida statistics had been "inflated" which is not true - this only effects calculating the Positivity Rate, but not the overall number of new cases per day - which are still rising at an alarming pace. Only one smaller batch of tests reported incorrectly which resulted in the 98% positivity - not the entire state's tests.

With a pandemic that eventually reached every state it would have been much better to have Federal level coordination and standards for collecting test information.
Some labs weren’t reporting negative coronavirus cases, Florida health department says
In some cases, labs reported positive test results, but did not report the number of negative test results

That has the potential to skew a key statistic known as the positivity rate or the percent of tests that are positive. That measure is often used by public health officials to determine how widespread infections are in a community.

State officials acknowledged the problem on Tuesday, but did not provide specifics such as how many labs were reporting incomplete data. They said the problem was centered on small, private labs.

“The Department immediately began working with those labs to ensure that all results were being reported in order to provide comprehensive and transparent data,” the Florida Department of Health said in a statement. “As the state continues to receive results from various labs, the Department will continue educating these labs on proper protocol for reporting COVID-19 test results.”

In one example, a small batch of tests from a lab for Orlando Health tested 522 samples, according to a state report, and 512, or about 98%, were positive for the virus.

The largest lab companies don’t appear affected by the reporting discrepancy.
https://news.yahoo.com/labs-weren-t-rep ... 00560.html
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MonarchMom wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:52 am
Valentina327 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 2:55 am "Oh my G-d! Massive spike in cases! We'd better shut our lives down completely! Don't walk past anyone, you might kill their grandma! Tighten - no double your masks!"

Reporting on the virus numbers in Florida seems to be troublesome from the start. It seems now that not all labs were sending in the negative results - some only sent in the positive numbers which is standard for other types of reporting.

Some news outlets then reported the Florida statistics had been "inflated" which is not true - this only effects calculating the Positivity Rate, but not the overall number of new cases per day - which are still rising at an alarming pace. Only one smaller batch of tests reported incorrectly which resulted in the 98% positivity - not the entire state's tests.

With a pandemic that eventually reached every state it would have been much better to have Federal level coordination and standards for collecting test information.
Some labs weren’t reporting negative coronavirus cases, Florida health department says
In some cases, labs reported positive test results, but did not report the number of negative test results

In one example, a small batch of tests from a lab for Orlando Health tested 522 samples, according to a state report, and 512, or about 98%, were positive for the virus.

Isn't that what the CDC was supposed to have provided? Isn't that their function? To handle things that have to do with disease and control? Logically that should be where that should land, no?

As of today though, the CDC isn't collecting the data directly any longer. Reporting is going directly to the administration. From what I understand CDC will have the information made available to them, however, it will be collected directly. It's about time. I don't know how much more needed to be blundered before there was oversight.

This involves 33 facilities as of right now. Quite the illusion created by this, huh?
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 9:08 am
MonarchMom wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:52 am

Isn't that what the CDC was supposed to have provided? Isn't that their function? To handle things that have to do with disease and control? Logically that should be where that should land, no?

As of today though, the CDC isn't collecting the data directly any longer. Reporting is going directly to the administration. From what I understand CDC will have the information made available to them, however, it will be collected directly. It's about time. I don't know how much more needed to be blundered before there was oversight.

This involves 33 facilities as of right now. Quite the illusion created by this, huh?
I agree this was a problem in collecting data and distorted that statistic on Positivity. But it does not change the facts on the rising number of cases in Florida. And a lot of things are being said online and by some 'commentators' that infer all the data is wrong, which is not true. Those statements just further confuse people, which may be their goal.

Yes, the CDC should be overseeing all of the state efforts. But it was made clear months ago that the Federal support would not be there. That states were "on their own" to find and buy test supplies, conduct testing, collect data, etc. So we have a disjointed approach that makes it much harder to get a clear picture of what is going on.

I don't agree that sending results to the WH is an improvement. What happens then? Who is going to be looking at the data there and how will it be used? What training do they have with pandemics? At this point most ofthe public has less confidence in the WH than the CDC.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

We’re living our lives up here in New York, and New England states, going back to work, wearing masks whenever we go into a public space, and cases are way way down.

States that refused to mandate safety laws are now paying the price. Not all that hard to figure out.
mommy_jules
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:55 am

We’re living our lives up here in New York, and New England states, going back to work, wearing masks whenever we go into a public space, and cases are way way down.

States that refused to mandate safety laws are now paying the price. Not all that hard to figure out.
Governor Ivey (Alabama) just announced a state wide mandatory mask ordinance starting tomorrow. Watching the press conference live, so no news article on it yet. The uproar this is going to cause...but it needs to happen. We’ve got to do something. Our hospitals are almost at full capacity.

ETA: https://www.al.com/news/2020/07/gov-ive ... -live.html
MonarchMom
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

mommy_jules wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:08 pm
Lemons wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:55 am

Governor Ivey (Alabama) just announced a state wide mandatory mask ordinance starting tomorrow. Watching the press conference live, so no news article on it yet. The uproar this is going to cause...but it needs to happen. We’ve got to do something. Our hospitals are almost at full capacity.

ETA: https://www.al.com/news/2020/07/gov-ive ... -live.html
If the entire country had done this all at once, in March, everywhere, we would be in such a better place now and saved so many lives.
Locked Previous topicNext topic