How were you disciplined growing up?

CherryTreez
Regent
Regent

I pretty much ran free. I was the youngest kid and mom and dad gave up. We had a farm and I spent time running wild and free on the farm. I didn't do anything to get in trouble. I was a good kid and didn't test the boundaries.

Dh and I try hard to be fair with the kids. I do try very hard and keep this the same for all the kids. My DD hates that her older brother gets to do stuff and she cannot. She thinks if he gets to do something, she should be able to as well. I try and make things as fair as I can.
stilltfez
Regent
Regent

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 3:46 pm Vs how were/are your kids disciplined?
My Father beat us with a belt or whatever was handy. My mom made us sit and wait for our father to get home to do it then egged him on.

I taught my children "no" from early on and they knew if rules were broken privileges were revoked, etc. They weren't perfect but between my punishments and Coach's rules they made decent choices.
Total absence of humor renders life impossible
Gorilla_Mama
Regent
Regent

I don’t remember being punished much as a small child. My mom says I was a good kid. As a teenager I mostly got grounded from going out with friends.

My kids I used time out when they were little little. Now that they’re getting older I take away electronics.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

I got my ass beat.

With little kids I do a lot of time outs. Older kids I find solitary confinement with no electronics works very well.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Both my husband and I had a good upbringing much the same. I was not grounded much and I didn't know what time-out was. We were talked to constantly about what was acceptable and what was not. When we broke the rules we were given some very hard lectures. When we went beyond that, we were spanked, and if it was very serious, on the bare bum! Ouch!

With our kids, my husband and I are on the same page but we also separate discipline from punishment, even though they are related. We use preventative discipline and reason in that we try to instill our two girls with the knowledge and moral compass they need to make the right decisions and not have to be punished. That doesn't always work. When either of our kids PURPOSELY do something they KNOW is wrong, they face consequences. These are/were anything from a lecture (like our parents did) to time-out, grounding, extra chores and all the way to a damn good spanking if we think they needed it, which also, although rare, happened to both of them a few times. However, the most effective consequential currency has been the removal of electronics and social contact with their friends.

To this day, we get compliments on how well our two are polite and respectful. They are good students too. Our youngest is still in the preteen stage, so I am in the midst of dealing with a preteen version of what I was like at that age.

Here are three attachments that I will include. The spanking one is just for fun - only fun!
Listen Mom.jpg
Listen Mom.jpg (43.35 KiB) Viewed 362 times
Attitude.jpg
Don't believe in Spanking.jpg
Don't believe in Spanking.jpg (33.11 KiB) Viewed 362 times
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

My parents: Emotional shaming & ridicule, with occasional spanking.

Me: prevention, teaching, role playing, natural consequences & loss of privileges. I've read a lot of parenting books & had a lot of counseling & classes, lol, I found parenting to be really difficult!
lauren08
Regent
Regent

My parents were somewhat strict, but I was kind of a wild child, so they eventually gave in. With my kids, I have done a combination of my parents’ discipline techniques and my own. As the girls have gotten older, I have become more permissive. I have never been super strict, but they have always known that their actions will result in consequences depending on the choices they make.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

I parent like my parents they had rules and consequences ( grounding). I’m the same with my daughter..

Also my father was a psychologist and he did a lot of talking..
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

LiveWhatULove wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:13 pm My parents: Emotional shaming & ridicule, with occasional spanking.

Me: prevention, teaching, role playing, natural consequences & loss of privileges. I've read a lot of parenting books & had a lot of counseling & classes, lol, I found parenting to be really difficult!
Parenting is f***ing hard. Agreed!
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

I am very happy about this post right now because, so far anyway, so santimoms. Well done members!
Sanctimom 2.png
Locked Previous topicNext topic