Covid-19 death rates way up in certain states

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Soaring coronavirus infections in Texas, Arizona and Florida are pushing deaths from the disease back upward, reversing two months of declines and undercutting claims by the Trump administration that the pandemic is under control.

In Texas, where hospitals are being swamped by a wave of COVID-19 patients, the seven-day average of deaths hit 46 a day this week, more than double the daily average in mid-June, according to data compiled by Johns Hopkins University. The average daily death toll in Arizona has also more than doubled in the last month. And in Florida, another state where infections are skyrocketing, the daily average of coronavirus-related deaths has jumped 60% in the last 2½ weeks.
Deaths overall in the country are down because of the states who got control over the virus by shutting down for the appropriate time and are still in the process of slowly opening with masks and social distancing still required.

But deaths lag several weeks behind infections and hospitalizations. With hospital admissions way up in Texas, Florida, Arizona and other states, the death rate in those states will go up even more.
“The problem is that many people do not understand or recognize the time delay and do not attribute the hospitalization and deaths to a specific time and event where little social distancing and little masking is happening,” said Dr. Manoj Jain, an infectious disease physician who is advising the mayor of Memphis, Tenn., on coronavirus.
https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/ ... lls-rising
Deleted User 670

Unread post

And they derided us liberals for voicing caution. Telling them "we told you so" has a hollow ring. They've done this to themselves, though.
hotspice58
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Waiting for them to blame Obama.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Before I post my state's numbers, I will say it bothers me that they just keep compiling numbers on numbers. We don't have active numbers which is annoying.
On 7/2: Confirmed- 87,709
Deaths- 2,849
Hospitalizations: 11,500
ICU- 2,389
My county: 1285 confirmed with 33 deaths
Percentage 9.1% infection rate.

Todays:
Confirmed: 106,727
Deaths: 2930
Hospitalizations: 12,606
ICU: 2519
My county: 1611/33
9.6% infection rate now..
A month ago, it was down to 8.% even.

In one week our confirmed cases have gone up 19,018. Deaths have gone up by 81 cases. Hospitalizations are up 1,106 cases and the ICU has gone up 130 cases. My county has increased by 326 cases, but deaths have remained the same.

My biggest issue is that these numbers are definitely indicative of where GA stands right now since these numbers are since March when the first case was confirmed. I wish they would do a weekly active case count instead of just dumping new numbers on top of old numbers. I *know* our numbers are up..we've basically been open since April and people have gone buck wild and refuse to wear masks here.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

And in my little corner of Arizona you still see a lot of people saying how masks are taking away freedoms, masks don't do any good, stop being paranoid it's basically just the flu, and so on and so forth. People here are so damn pig-headed.

My personal views about the virus and what's the right thing to do have changed over the past 5 months. There was so little we knew at the beginning it was hard to know how to feel on it. But I try to take in info and change my stance as the info changes.

But these damn freedom-fighters, they are so gun-ho on their 'freedom or die' that many of them just might get the latter from a microscopic virus, instead of their own government that they believe to be the biggest enemy.
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Traci_Momof2 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 7:02 pm And in my little corner of Arizona you still see a lot of people saying how masks are taking away freedoms, masks don't do any good, stop being paranoid it's basically just the flu, and so on and so forth. People here are so damn pig-headed.

My personal views about the virus and what's the right thing to do have changed over the past 5 months. There was so little we knew at the beginning it was hard to know how to feel on it. But I try to take in info and change my stance as the info changes.

But these damn freedom-fighters, they are so gun-ho on their 'freedom or die' that many of them just might get the latter from a microscopic virus, instead of their own government that they believe to be the biggest enemy.
That's stupidity not pig headedness.
SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Florida is the new GLOBAL epicenter.
Our governor is an idiot and a puppet.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

SoFloMom wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:58 pm Florida is the new GLOBAL epicenter.
Really something. It would be funny if people‘s lives weren’t on the line.

SoFloMom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:30 pm
SoFloMom wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 9:58 pm Florida is the new GLOBAL epicenter.
Really something. It would be funny if people‘s lives weren’t on the line.

Freaking horrible.
Deleted User 203

Unread post

We opened entirely too soon and with testing not available until the latter part of May and into June (UNLESS you exhibited symptoms; tests were to be used on those with actual symptoms, first responders, and medical personnel ONLY here), we are now seeing the increase we are.

We now have different restrictions and closures put back in place and hopefully this will help to eventually "flatten the curve," so to speak.

Essentially, Arizona did not see the first wave initially that so many other states did until now.

But I'll continue to write this.....politicizing a pandemic and especially one such as Covid is insane at a minimum and it does nothing more than demonstrate childish competition for those who do so (ETA...writing THIS in general).

No state has deliberately "done this to themselves," and that type of thinking really rubs me the wrong way because there's no point to it and it's cold-hearted IMO.
Locked Previous topicNext topic