Drunk Man Shot by Police as He was Running Away

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:53 am
29again wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:36 pm
pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 6:55 am [/highlight]

And that shit needs to stop.
Yes. Except that knives can be thrown. So, imo, it depends on how far away the person is. They're not trained like Bruce Lee, who could duck and avoid a thrown knife...
And this is when a taser should be employed, not bullets.
They WERE employing the tazer, until it was stolen and the weapon was turned around to be used on one of them. They had used all methods at their disposal up until that time.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

https://openvaers.com/
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:21 pm
BionicBunny wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:00 pm
wildflowers25 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:39 pm

I thought the same thing, the officers seemed pleasant and patient through the ordeal of questioning him. It went from bad to worse when he resisted and ran. It was tragic and I don't like how it ended but I agree it was brought about by escalation.
People need to hold the criminal responsible for their own actions instead of putting the blame on the cop. This man got himself killed because he did something stupid. He would be alive if he had respected the cop and didn’t fight or point a weapon.
I think we have put people (especially black men) in a horrible position where they are expected, more than others, to follow strict protocols or be killed and even when those protocols are followed, they run the risk of being killed anyway. 1 in 1000 black men and boys can expect to die at the hands of police and getting killed by police is a leading cause of death for young black men. When you consider the "fight or flight" human reaction to danger, what is the appropriate way for a black man to respond when confronted by police? It's a talk that my black friends have had with their sons and it hurts my heart.

Here is a personal example. My son was stopped by local police and questioned on Saturday morning. He was respectful and accommodating but told me later what he really wanted to do, and almost did, was run - he was 100 feet from our home. If he had run I have no doubt that he would have been fine. If he were black and had run, I'm not so sure.
I watched that body cam after Val mentioned it this morning. I just can’t say with confidence that was the case here. The stop was justified and the interaction was surprisingly cordial between both parties, until Brooks escalated it..kinda out of the blue.

I had an open mind but was really expecting to see some thing different before I watched it.

This is a tough one....
Deleted User 670

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:27 pm
29again wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 11:36 pm

Yes. Except that knives can be thrown. So, imo, it depends on how far away the person is. They're not trained like Bruce Lee, who could duck and avoid a thrown knife...
They WERE employing the tazer, until it was stolen and the weapon was turned around to be used on one of them. They had used all methods at their disposal up until that time.
They EACH have tasers. The other cop shoulda used his instead of his partner committing murder, all over a tussle with a taser. There is absolutely no way to justify this guy's death.
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:51 pm
Carpy wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:13 pm
Thelma Harper wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:42 am

What was the bail and consequence for the driver who hit you?
6 yrs do 3 and a lot of money I'll never see.
Insanity. That's a damn shame.
I just realized that rhymes.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:16 pm
BionicBunny wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:00 pm

People need to hold the criminal responsible for their own actions instead of putting the blame on the cop. This man got himself killed because he did something stupid. He would be alive if he had respected the cop and didn’t fight or point a weapon.
I think we have put people (especially black men) in a horrible position where they are expected, more than others, to follow strict protocols or be killed and even when those protocols are followed, they run the risk of being killed anyway. 1 in 1000 black men and boys can expect to die at the hands of police and getting killed by police is a leading cause of death for young black men. When you consider the "fight or flight" human reaction to danger, what is the appropriate way for a black man to respond when confronted by police? It's a talk that my black friends have had with their sons and it hurts my heart.

Here is a personal example. My son was stopped by local police and questioned on Saturday morning. He was respectful and accommodating but told me later what he really wanted to do, and almost did, was run - he was 100 feet from our home. If he had run I have no doubt that he would have been fine. If he were black and had run, I'm not so sure.
I watched that body cam after Val mentioned it this morning. I just can’t say with confidence that was the case here. The stop was justified and the interaction was surprisingly cordial between both parties, until Brooks escalated it..kinda out of the blue.

I had an open mind but was really expecting to see some thing different before I watched it.

This is a tough one....
I agree that this individual case is a tough one but I get tired with the hyper-analysis of each individual case mainly to see how/why police were justified. Overall, this is a serious problem with policing in the US. Police should be able to de-escalate a situation without using deadly force. We have gotten to the point in our society that we justify police killings because of misbehavior, surprise, running, beligerence, struggle, etc. This is unsatisfactory, IMO.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:28 pm

This is a tough one....
I agree that this individual case is a tough one but I get tired with the hyper-analysis of each individual case mainly to see how/why police were justified. Overall, this is a serious problem with policing in the US. Police should be able to de-escalate a situation without using deadly force. We have gotten to the point in our society that we justify police killings because of misbehavior, surprise, running, beligerence, struggle, etc. This is unsatisfactory, IMO.
I don’t think this hyper-analysis in this case either or admitting what Brooks did wrong is justifying his death and I’m deathly against police brutality. A lot went wrong here and it’s OK to acknowledge that. This isn’t going to be fixed if we can’t be reasonable and we paint all of these cases with the same brush, IMO.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:43 pm

This is a tough one....
I don’t think this hyper-analysis in this case either or admitting what Brooks did wrong is justifying his death and I’m deathly against police brutality. A lot went wrong here and it’s OK to acknowledge that. This isn’t going to be fixed if we can’t be reasonable and we paint all of these cases with the same brush, IMO.
I agree with what you are saying. But I also think that this isn't going to be fixed if we justify each individual case which is in itself painting them all with the same brush.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:51 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:43 pm

I agree with what you are saying. But I also think that this isn't going to be fixed if we justify each individual case which is in itself painting them all with the same brush.
That’s not always the case. This is the first police shooting that hasn’t been cut and dry for me in awhile. I actually can’t remember the last one, it’s been that long.
Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

pinkbutterfly66 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:19 pm
Valentina327 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:27 pm

They EACH have tasers. The other cop shoulda used his instead of his partner committing murder, all over a tussle with a taser. There is absolutely no way to justify this guy's death.
Have you watched everything leading up to it? He was fighting BOTH officers. He was flipping BOTH of them around. They both were slammed on the ground pretty good.

If you look, there was definitely head hitting concrete. You get up after having your bell rung and see someone pointing a weapon at your partner, after you have been physically fought. After all of this commotion and taking a crack to the head, you HAVE to be disoriented.

I defy anyone in a split second after all of that to stand there calmly and wait for someone who just tried to injure you and your partner to just see what he'd do - with a weapon pointed at your partners face. This man very clearly decided he wanted to get away at whatever the cost.

Were they just supposed to let this drunk man exhibiting violent behavior run off, tazer in hand? I can't see any sane person thinking that's a good idea.

It's not like a tazer to the face would 100% not be fatal. The current can cause cardiac issues. It's 50,000 volts. They didn't know what would happen. Below is just citizen deaths from a tazer. There have also been officers as well.

Can we seriously not admit that this guy was wrong and resisting arrest, armed? Can we not acknowledge that he had a hand in what happened? Have we really come to the point where common sense in these situations no longer has a place at all?

In 2015, the Washington Post reported that in the 11-month period from January to November 2015, 48 people died in the United States in incidents in which police used Tasers, according to police, court and autopsy records
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

Valentina327
Princess
Princess

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:55 pm
Valentina327 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:32 am
Emmasmom wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:51 am

I agree. And in wondering if they realized it was a taser or if they thought he had grabbed a gun. I don't think they shot him strictly because he's black.
Did you watch the body cam footage? I don't think it had anything to do with it honestly. They were very cordial with him. They didn't lose patience with him as they questioned him, even though it took them several tries to get answers. They were very calm and respectful and he was very respectful also.

The interaction seemed perfectly by the book and calm until he decided to bolt. And they weren't even being brutal with him as he was fighting both of them. They were on the ground wrestling for a bit. And they were legitimately still just trying to get cuffs on him. They never beat him. They never seemed to step out of bounds.

Once he stole that tazer though, the concern then becomes him disabling the officers and taking their sidearm. I truly believe that this was a case of things escalating because of him trying to run. They were even doing CPR trying to bring him back. I don't believe either of them had malice in their hearts. I think it's just a horrible tragedy brought about by escalation.
Do you have a link to the body cam, Val? I haven’t seen it.
Let's Go Brandon!
#FJB

Locked Previous topicNext topic