Obama stands by using the term "thugs" to describe protesters

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

BionicBunny wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:43 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:41 pm
BionicBunny wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:34 pm

Again, thug is not a racial word for the black community. 😂
I really don’t care about your opinion on this and it won’t change my mind. No matter how many emojis you put behind it.
It’s not an opinion.
Look BB, I’m not running around calling White women Becky and using the definition as an excuse like I don’t know it’s been used to push the stereotype that white women are easy to get head from because they are overly sexually promiscuous.

I most certainly do not tell white women “they don’t get to choose” to find that racially offensive or racist.

All due respect, l understand if some can’t grasp that concept, but I don’t do that to other people and I’m not tolerating anyone doing that to me because people on the internet feel I should.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 9:23 pm
Carpy wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:55 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:28 pm I figured someone would eventually post this to excuse people saying it now, including Trump.

Unfortunately that doesn’t fly because Obama was F***ing wrong too and it does not give anyone a pass to call us thugs because he did.
When did thug become a racist term? When I imagine a thug, it's a white guy needing a shave who does the dirty work for mobsters.
When people started to use the word “thug” as a code word for Black people. Like when Hillary called us super predators back in the day and thought we forgot.

Hope that makes sense Carp.
But most people do not use it as a code word for black people. A lot of people don’t even associate the word to a race but to a behavior. Thug has been used for many years to describe people who behave a certain way. In Batman Begins, The Dark Knight Rises, The Dark Knight, Thor, Scarface, The Untouchables, Captain America, god I totally showing my geekdom🤦🏼‍♀️ It’s always used to describe a type of people by behavior not a race of people.

So some are using it as a code word? Ok, I get it. But do we give them power? Do we give them the word? I’m not saying ignore when someone uses it as a code word, by all means that needs to be called out, but to label it as a racial slur because of a few dumbass fools...I’m not sure that’s right.

I also have heard the use of the word thug, by several musicians. Not to describe race, but a person who exhibits certain behavior. What about Thug life? I can’t help but feel that by labeling the word a racial slur because of a few, we are allowing people to be disempowered more by those people.

I support that you feel this way about the word even if I disagree.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 12:28 pm
Lemons wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:56 pm

When did thug become a racist term? When I imagine a thug, it's a white guy needing a shave who does the dirty work for mobsters.
I don’t remember the word thug ever used in a mob movie. Maybe in history it was used to describe low level criminals. But meanings of words change.

Trump crossed the line with talking about bringing out the dogs in DC. Anyone who made it middle school has seen the pictures of black people pushed against walls by dogs during the civil rights movement. Not looters, but peaceful protesters.

He’s writing these Tweets directly to his base. He’s not capable of uniting a country during a crisis. The country is a mess and he’s hiding behind his Tweets.
Are Scarface and the Untouchables not mob movies?
Are they old movies? I was thinking more current use of the word.
Quorra2.0
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Lemons wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:17 pm
Lemons wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:56 pm

I don’t remember the word thug ever used in a mob movie. Maybe in history it was used to describe low level criminals. But meanings of words change.

Trump crossed the line with talking about bringing out the dogs in DC. Anyone who made it middle school has seen the pictures of black people pushed against walls by dogs during the civil rights movement. Not looters, but peaceful protesters.

He’s writing these Tweets directly to his base. He’s not capable of uniting a country during a crisis. The country is a mess and he’s hiding behind his Tweets.
I suppose the 80’s would be old. But more current, I’m not sure of mob movies, but it’s used in several Marvel and DC movies and comic books as well as graphic novels by other publishing companies.
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 8:28 pm I figured someone would eventually post this to excuse people saying it now, including Trump.

Unfortunately that doesn’t fly because Obama was F***ing wrong too and it does not give anyone a pass to call us thugs because he did.
When people started to use the word “thug” as a code word for Black people. Like when Hillary called us super predators back in the day and thought we forgot.

Super predators? That's a new one to me.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:13 pm

But most people do not use it as a code word for black people. A lot of people don’t even associate the word to a race but to a behavior. Thug has been used for many years to describe people who behave a certain way. In Batman Begins, The Dark Knight Rises, The Dark Knight, Thor, Scarface, The Untouchables, Captain America, god I totally showing my geekdom🤦🏼‍♀️ It’s always used to describe a type of people by behavior not a race of people.

So some are using it as a code word? Ok, I get it. But do we give them power? Do we give them the word? I’m not saying ignore when someone uses it as a code word, by all means that needs to be called out, but to label it as a racial slur because of a few dumbass fools...I’m not sure that’s right.

I also have heard the use of the word thug, by several musicians. Not to describe race, but a person who exhibits certain behavior. What about Thug life? I can’t help but feel that by labeling the word a racial slur because of a few, we are allowing people to be disempowered more by those people.

I support that you feel this way about the word even if I disagree.
I’ve emphasized on context several times. I’m not taking about the people who don’t do that and I’m not accusing them of using a racial slur.

Yes, this needs to be called out because this term is thrown around to either justify police brutality or bash the people speaking out against it..including peaceful protesters. It’s not just a few dumb assets doing it because it happens more times than not when this debate comes up.

I’m sorry people (general) are gonna have to pick a lane. You (general) can’t say that you’re against police brutality or angry about Floyd’a death and it’s like pulling teeth to explain simple stuff that we know contributes to the problem.

Micromanaging our issues and delivery is encouraging all this anger, including those of us who aren’t looting.

And hugs to you for the support and being open to listening to a different point of view. 🤗
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

MistressMonster wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:40 pm

It’s a term Hillary used a long time ago that conservatives tore her an entire new ass about that in 2016 for being racist.
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

SouthernIslander wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:57 pm

It’s a term Hillary used a long time ago that conservatives tore her an entire new ass about that in 2016 for being racist.
Wow! I had no idea she said this. I will admit I'm not the greatest at paying attention to politics in general.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
SouthernIslander
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

MistressMonster wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 2:19 pm
SouthernIslander wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:57 pm

Wow! I had no idea she said this. I will admit I'm not the greatest at paying attention to politics in general.
Yeah, she said it when Bill was in office about the crime bill if I am not mistaken.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Quorra2.0 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:25 pm
Lemons wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 1:17 pm

I suppose the 80’s would be old. But more current, I’m not sure of mob movies, but it’s used in several Marvel and DC movies and comic books as well as graphic novels by other publishing companies.
I first noticed widespread use of the word in conservative media and social media - mainly used to describe black men who were victims of police brutality. At the time, and now, I feel it is used to dehumanize the victim so that some will think that the brutality was deserved. Look back at the reporting of Michael Brown, Trayvon Martin, Eric Garner, etc. Google those names along with "thug". Sure the term has been around a long time though using it to reference black victims of police violence and those who protest the violence is a relatively recent use of the term. Even Kaepernick was called an "anti American thug". Kaepernick, to my knowledge, never was violent yet was called a thug because for many, that's become a slur, particularly against black men.

Just my two cents:)

ETA: This is an interesting read (albeit a bit long):

From “brute” to “thug:” the demonization and criminalization of unarmed Black male victims in America

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5004736/
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Locked Previous topicNext topic