Do you think she should be able to adopt again?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

A Youtuber I’m not sure if her name as I have never heard of her before but if you google youtuber who gave up adopted child you should find articles. To summarize a woman and her husband adopt a child from another country he had special needs but at the time they had no idea how many special needs he would have. He was diagnosed with autism after his 3rd birthday. They recently announced that they rehomed him because they couldn’t handle all of his special needs as well as a child they had after they adopted him. They mentioned wanting to adopt again but some feel that they shouldn’t ever be able to adopt again. Others who know that couldn’t handle a special needs child are understanding of their decision. I should add that many of the people that are upset are because she made videos and took donations for the adopted child then after they bought an expensive house rehomed him. I’m not sure how I feel about the whole thing it’s sad for everyone involved.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Was autism his only need? I have an autistic son and its not easy but I'd never give him up.
Emandab
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Probably not.
Emmasmom
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Removed him...hes a F***ing child, not a pet. They should not be allowed to adopt again. They gave up their child.
mcginnisc
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

As someone very familiar with the Chinese adoption system, I am not going to judge them at all. I know how awful the Chinese government is about disclosing SN in regards to adoption. There were several in our travel group that were touted as non special needs and once home the parents found out their children had some serious special needs. They have struggled greatly over the last 13 years of being home with their children.
Adoption disruption, while I hate that it happens, is sometimes the very best thing for the child in question as they do finally find that home that is perfect for them and their needs. It is very overwhelming to come home with a child that is healthy, much less one that has needs the parent was not expecting nor equipped for in the long run.
I can say that China would not allow them to adopt again. Their regulations have tightened exponentially over the years.
Claire
"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
Msprekteacher
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Would a birth parent who placed their special needs child for adoption be precluded from giving birth again? How about a woman who chooses to terminate a special needs child? Should she not be allowed to become pregnant again?

The child wasn’t being abused, he wasn’t neglected, the family realized their limitations and did what they thought best for themselves. Do I wish more due diligence had been done before opting to adopt internationally, sure. Should that preclude them from adopting again? No.
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

They used that child to help build their page, and was a decent part of how they earned their income, and then one day people noticed the young child (Huxley) was no longer in any pictures or videos. He literally just ceased to exist, he vanished and people became concerned. That is the only reason they admitted that after 4 years they were done and handed the kid back.

I’d have had more sympathy if they hadn’t used that poor boy for personal gain and then just erased him from their lives. Most parent don’t get to give their children to someone else, and I’m not talking about residential treatment or special education schools, we still have to be parents, we can’t just hand them over, adoption shouldn’t be any different.
LuckyEightWow
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Msprekteacher wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:23 pm Would a birth parent who placed their special needs child for adoption be precluded from giving birth again? How about a woman who chooses to terminate a special needs child? Should she not be allowed to become pregnant again?

The child wasn’t being abused, he wasn’t neglected, the family realized their limitations and did what they thought best for themselves. Do I wish more due diligence had been done before opting to adopt internationally, sure. Should that preclude them from adopting again? No.

This wasn’t a newborn, it was a 4 year old child who had bonded with his siblings and the only parents he knew.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

No child comes with a warranty. When you become a parent, you get the whole child...the good, the bad, and the ugly. If I had a say in the matter, I would not allow her to adopt again.
lauren08
Regent
Regent

Unread post

LuckyEightWow wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 12:49 pm They used that child to help build their page, and was a decent part of how they earned their income, and then one day people noticed the young child (Huxley) was no longer in any pictures or videos. He literally just ceased to exist, he vanished and people became concerned. That is the only reason they admitted that after 4 years they were done and handed the kid back.

I’d have had more sympathy if they hadn’t used that poor boy for personal gain and then just erased him from their lives. Most parent don’t get to give their children to someone else, and I’m not talking about residential treatment or special education schools, we still have to be parents, we can’t just hand them over, adoption shouldn’t be any different.
Agreed.
Locked Previous topicNext topic