Spice storage?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

In your case I would suggest a small basket (or several) to place the spices in so that you can pull them down and have a look in.
MrsDavidB wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:31 pm No I just use those little cabinets above the stove that are hard to reach and see into. The spices fall over as I am rummaging to find what I need. Pain in the ass.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

That's somewhat similar to what I have now. I have four wooden boxes that seem about that size which are filled with spices and they sit out on my countertop. I also have 2 spice racks and a cabinet full. I like variety. :lol:
Momto2boys973 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 11:56 am I bought some plastic drawers that I keep in my pantry. I have pretty much every spice and dry herb you can think of, so that’s a slice saver, plus it keeps them organized.
I bought some similar to this:

I bought four and stacked them on top of each other.
Spices should never be kept on the kitchen counter, they lose potency. They should be stored in cool, dark, dry places.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

I'm considering doing this when we buy a new home. We were supposed to be looking now but it's nearly impossible with everything that's going on. I'm not sure when it will be.
bluebunnybabe wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 10:52 am I had spice holders built in on the inside of the cabinet doors. They work well.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I have some tiny packets separate, too. When I first organized my spices alphabetically, I never thought my DH would cooperate and put them back where he found them. But because he rarely uses them, I don't even have to worry about that! And I've got my DD trained well. She likes knowing where things are. So, she definitely puts them back where they belong! lol

When I'm done with my shelf, I'll definitely post pics. I know that it will be a very functional shelf. I just hope that I don't get tired of looking at it after a while.

I wanted to tell you. I don't know how OPEN things are in your part of the country but when businesses open up, if you get the chance, wander around a HOBBY LOBBY store. They have a LOT of cool shelves that might work for what you want. You may even be able to see some of them online. Check it out! Have fun with it!
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:36 pm I'd actually like to see that when you're done! I use a ton of spices and seasonings too! In fact I think I have over 100! I used to hate the different sizes/shapes but now that I buy more variety and some "fancy" ones I kind of enjoy the different jars. For now anyway.

I alphabetize mine too! Lol... the basic ones anyway. The mixes and such I have separate.
Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:24 pm It's funny you should mention this! This is something that I have been contemplating fixing for the past year! I use a LOT of spices (over 50). Right now, I'm a little OK with how I have my spices organized:

I have an upper cabinet that sits immediately next to my stove. That cabinet has three shelves in it and each shelf holds a small lazy susan with spices on them. And they are in alphabetical order! (Yes...I know...OCD behavior. lol) But it works! I do have a small "spillover" of spices in a box in a lower cabinet. I probably shouldn't mess with this system because it really is working.
These little lazy susans (found at BB&B) fit nicely into standard size kitchen cabinets.

But I'm with that other poster who mentioned not liking the spices being of "different sizes." I'd also like it to be that I don't have to open a door each time I want a spice. So...here's what I was in the middle of doing before Covid-19 hit. From a thrift store, I bought a tall shelf (sort of looks like a cross between a bookcase and a bakers shelf). I will be buying (80) 5 oz jars (either BPA-free plastic OR glass ones). I re-did the shelf and will be placing all those jars on the shelves like a candy store set up! (The jars will be labeled on the lid AND on the front).
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

Yes I suppose that would be a better solution. I do like those slim cabinets that can go on the side of the fridge and you slide it out.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:38 pm In your case I would suggest a small basket (or several) to place the spices in so that you can pull them down and have a look in.
MrsDavidB wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:31 pm No I just use those little cabinets above the stove that are hard to reach and see into. The spices fall over as I am rummaging to find what I need. Pain in the ass.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Thank you! I'm actually in the UK and everything is still closed here, but we have hobby stores that I love to wander around in under normal circumstances. And my beloved IKEA! I'm eager to visit both after they reopen!

I have a ton of ideas for after our move! I guess I'm looking for a simpler solution for the short-term though. I'm constantly rejiggering the spices but it never feels quite right.
Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:43 pm I have some tiny packets separate, too. When I first organized my spices alphabetically, I never thought my DH would cooperate and put them back where he found them. But because he rarely uses them, I don't even have to worry about that! And I've got my DD trained well. She likes knowing where things are. So, she definitely puts them back where they belong! lol

When I'm done with my shelf, I'll definitely post pics. I know that it will be a very functional shelf. I just hope that I don't get tired of looking at it after a while.

I wanted to tell you. I don't know how OPEN things are in your part of the country but when businesses open up, if you get the chance, wander around a HOBBY LOBBY store. They have a LOT of cool shelves that might work for what you want. You may even be able to see some of them online. Check it out! Have fun with it!
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:36 pm I'd actually like to see that when you're done! I use a ton of spices and seasonings too! In fact I think I have over 100! I used to hate the different sizes/shapes but now that I buy more variety and some "fancy" ones I kind of enjoy the different jars. For now anyway.

I alphabetize mine too! Lol... the basic ones anyway. The mixes and such I have separate.
Anonymous 2 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:24 pm It's funny you should mention this! This is something that I have been contemplating fixing for the past year! I use a LOT of spices (over 50). Right now, I'm a little OK with how I have my spices organized:

I have an upper cabinet that sits immediately next to my stove. That cabinet has three shelves in it and each shelf holds a small lazy susan with spices on them. And they are in alphabetical order! (Yes...I know...OCD behavior. lol) But it works! I do have a small "spillover" of spices in a box in a lower cabinet. I probably shouldn't mess with this system because it really is working.
These little lazy susans (found at BB&B) fit nicely into standard size kitchen cabinets.

But I'm with that other poster who mentioned not liking the spices being of "different sizes." I'd also like it to be that I don't have to open a door each time I want a spice. So...here's what I was in the middle of doing before Covid-19 hit. From a thrift store, I bought a tall shelf (sort of looks like a cross between a bookcase and a bakers shelf). I will be buying (80) 5 oz jars (either BPA-free plastic OR glass ones). I re-did the shelf and will be placing all those jars on the shelves like a candy store set up! (The jars will be labeled on the lid AND on the front).
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Yes, those look super useful! I have a ton of ideas for spice storage after we move. I should probably get on Pinterest and start pinning them so I don't forget any of them! Right now they're just floating around in my head!

I have spices galore but I keep my cooking liquids in a caddy that I can just pull out so I don't have to rifle through the bottles, it makes using them a lot less hassle. I think the concept should work great for spices too if they're hard to see otherwise... and if you don't have an insane amount like some of us may.
MrsDavidB wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:53 pm Yes I suppose that would be a better solution. I do like those slim cabinets that can go on the side of the fridge and you slide it out.
Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 8:38 pm In your case I would suggest a small basket (or several) to place the spices in so that you can pull them down and have a look in.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Tue May 26, 2020 12:13 pm I have something like this.

how-to-make-a-tiered-spice-drawer-insert-10.jpg
We have at least 60 different spices, so my husband built a spice rack for the pantry door, but even that is not big enough.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Linda_Runs wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:38 am

We have at least 60 different spices, so my husband built a spice rack for the pantry door, but even that is not big enough.
My DH hates how many spices I have. He just keeps asking me if I need them all. I just stand there and look at him with a blank stare when he says this. I would love to redo my kitchen and have one of these installed in it

101_01.jpg
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

highlandmum wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 9:39 am
Linda_Runs wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 8:38 am

My DH hates how many spices I have. He just keeps asking me if I need them all. I just stand there and look at him with a blank stare when he says this. I would love to redo my kitchen and have one of these installed in it

101_01.jpg
I like the size, but too much bending over.
Locked Previous topicNext topic