Should I risk taking my kid to the Dr?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

My 5 yo has been sniffling for almost 2 weeks. At first it was a light sniffle so I dismissed it for allergies. We live in a high pollen area. He has not been around anyone outside of immediate family, no one in our home has. He hasn't had any fever or any other symptoms. His nose isn't runny either. So I don't think it's virus related. Last night his sniffling has gotten worse. It's become constant and when he is active or exited he breathes in really hard, like he is catching his breath or kind of gasping. So I started to panic, but when he calmed down and I made him sit it lightened up and he stopped gasping. Other than that he acts fine, not like he is struggling at all. Even when he was gasping I asked him if he is okay, and he says yes. He's laughing and playing and runs around. It's kind of hard to know if something is really bothering him because he is speech delayed. He can communicate somewhat but he can't tell me exactly what is going on.
So my worry is, I want to take him to the Dr now, but with this virus situation I'm scared to take him if this is just allergies. I don't want to expose him to anything. I don't know what I should do. I thought about giving him some allergy medication but on the other hand what if it's not allergies?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:57 pm My 5 yo has been sniffling for almost 2 weeks. At first it was a light sniffle so I dismissed it for allergies. We live in a high pollen area. He has not been around anyone outside of immediate family, no one in our home has. He hasn't had any fever or any other symptoms. His nose isn't runny either. So I don't think it's virus related. Last night his sniffling has gotten worse. It's become constant and when he is active or exited he breathes in really hard, like he is catching his breath or kind of gasping. So I started to panic, but when he calmed down and I made him sit it lightened up and he stopped gasping. Other than that he acts fine, not like he is struggling at all. Even when he was gasping I asked him if he is okay, and he says yes. He's laughing and playing and runs around. It's kind of hard to know if something is really bothering him because he is speech delayed. He can communicate somewhat but he can't tell me exactly what is going on.
So my worry is, I want to take him to the Dr now, but with this virus situation I'm scared to take him if this is just allergies. I don't want to expose him to anything. I don't know what I should do. I thought about giving him some allergy medication but on the other hand what if it's not allergies?
Call the doctors office first and ask them. Do you have the teledoc feature with the office?
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:02 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:57 pm My 5 yo has been sniffling for almost 2 weeks. At first it was a light sniffle so I dismissed it for allergies. We live in a high pollen area. He has not been around anyone outside of immediate family, no one in our home has. He hasn't had any fever or any other symptoms. His nose isn't runny either. So I don't think it's virus related. Last night his sniffling has gotten worse. It's become constant and when he is active or exited he breathes in really hard, like he is catching his breath or kind of gasping. So I started to panic, but when he calmed down and I made him sit it lightened up and he stopped gasping. Other than that he acts fine, not like he is struggling at all. Even when he was gasping I asked him if he is okay, and he says yes. He's laughing and playing and runs around. It's kind of hard to know if something is really bothering him because he is speech delayed. He can communicate somewhat but he can't tell me exactly what is going on.
Call the doctors office first and ask them. Do you have the teledoc feature with the office?
I just checked on their website and didn't see an option. I'll call in and see what they say.
MistressMonster
Sour Grapes
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I'd call the office first before making a trip. Then base your decision on what they say.
The oranges of the island are like blazing fire
Amongst the emerald boughs
And the lemons are like the paleness of a lover
Who has spent the night crying.

My soul was ripped to shreds on 10/27/14
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Call the office or urgent care. Many docs are doing video visits instead of coming in.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I wouldn't bother with a dr for that
Anonymous 4

Unread post

I would not physically take my child to a healthcare provider, unless they were having respiratory distress and needed immediate attention.

Although all medicines can have side effects, all my children have taken allergy medicines, tylenol & ibuprofen without difficulty, so it does not worry or scare me to trial these medications, Benedryl or zyrtec don't hurt healthy children. 2 of my 3 children,have allergy flares and if we don't treat, they will develop lower airway symptoms like asthma, with wheezing/cough and such, as the nasal drip drains down irritates their lower airway. I personally would start Zyrtec, Flonase and see if my child was better in a week or so, but then I've had lots of experience with this. As others have said, call, they should be able to guide you.
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I would try for an e-visit first. I had to take my baby for shots and was worried about taking him to the doctor but I just made sure he didn't touch anything if at all possible.
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It could be a hay fever or something. I used to give ods Zrytec which helped.
mojogirl
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

You waited 2 weeks to try some otc meds and then asked the people here for advice? I get you're scared and anxious like the rest of us but come on now.
Locked Previous topicNext topic