Trump says he wants country 'opened up' by Easter, despite caution from health experts

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:56 pm
Carpy wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:51 pm
Francee89 wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:35 pm

How do the less hard hit areas stay less hard hit if there’s not South Korea level testing (and there’s no indication there will be)? There’s no way to social distance in many office-type workplaces, let alone the service industry and on public transit commutes.

You yourself said that people were fleeing high risk areas - what stops an asymptomatic Californian from deciding they’ve had enough of quarantining and flying or driving to their summer home in Montana, which is much less hard hit, and hanging out in restaurants and bars and coffee shops, infecting the local population that way?
Nothing stops it, which is why I support a shutdown. It does no good to shut down low traffic businesses while allowing high traffic businesses such as Wal-Mart to remain open.
For sure. If Walmart is a grocery store, it makes sense to keep that portion (along with other household essential parts of the store) open, but even then there should be a limit on the number of people allowed inside at a time.
The Home Depot around here is controlling how many people are in the store. You have to take a cart if you enter. They only have so many carts out once they are all gone no one can enter till a cart is back and it has been wiped down. They have people patrolling the parking lots to grab the carts right away to sanitize them.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:24 pm

Where did I whine that I was unable to? I was clarifying the point of picking winners and losers.
And Trump doesn't expect that in NYC he is hoping for less hard hit areas to be able to. I am not in a less hard hit area, nor am I the only gun seller in the state.
How do the less hard hit areas stay less hard hit if there’s not South Korea level testing (and there’s no indication there will be)? There’s no way to social distance in many office-type workplaces, let alone the service industry and on public transit commutes.

You yourself said that people were fleeing high risk areas - what stops an asymptomatic Californian from deciding they’ve had enough of quarantining and flying or driving to their summer home in Montana, which is much less hard hit, and hanging out in restaurants and bars and coffee shops, infecting the local population that way?
Nothing stops it, which is why I support a shutdown. It does no good to shut down low traffic businesses while allowing high traffic businesses such as Wal-Mart to remain open.
I'm sorry that you are feeling symptomatic and hope you just have a cold or allergies!

I agree with you. High traffic businesses need to practice social distancing, limited customers at a time, and even pickup/delivery. I do believe that only essential businesses should remain open but those businesses need to have restrictions in place.

I don't know about your area, but some of our local businesses that have been shuttered have converted to essential by basically opening up a bodega type store. They are supporting our local farmers/food producers and are able to pay their staff. Is this something you could do? It also helps to reduce the number of customers in the local large groceries (granted we only have 2 in our county).
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Pjmm
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:01 pm We essentially have states picking winners and losers. Why are liquor stores essential?
If I had to homeschool yds liquor would definitely be essential. It's why I don't. He asked me the other day about some algebra equations and the flashbacks to high school started. I mean I'd like to see him pass eleventh grade lol. Plus usually we end up fighting.
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:17 pm

I'm sorry that you are feeling symptomatic and hope you just have a cold or allergies!

I agree with you. High traffic businesses need to practice social distancing, limited customers at a time, and even pickup/delivery. I do believe that only essential businesses should remain open but those businesses need to have restrictions in place.

I don't know about your area, but some of our local businesses that have been shuttered have converted to essential by basically opening up a bodega type store. They are supporting our local farmers/food producers and are able to pay their staff. Is this something you could do? It also helps to reduce the number of customers in the local large groceries (granted we only have 2 in our county).
It's a good idea, but we can get by. All employees are getting paid. Fireworks sustain us. Other small stores aren't so lucky.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

For sure. If Walmart is a grocery store, it makes sense to keep that portion (along with other household essential parts of the store) open, but even then there should be a limit on the number of people allowed inside at a time.
That, and I'd like to see online/pick-up/delivery increase until this is over. Set up break bulk grocery centers and put tested and monitored unemployed people to work "shopping" and delivering.

It sounds draconian, but I don't know how else to stop this. It's moving so fast.
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Thelma Harper wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:07 pm

That, and I'd like to see online/pick-up/delivery increase until this is over. Set up break bulk grocery centers and put tested and monitored unemployed people to work "shopping" and delivering.

It sounds draconian, but I don't know how else to stop this. It's moving so fast.
Yup. Our local farmers market has to go to online pickup/delivery and we have to figure it out immediately. We've got 31 vendors and are sorting it. Walmart can do the same.

Just wanted to throw out there that we also have a population that have been requested to self-quarantine as well as an increased population of those who have been diagnosed with CV-19 but are being asked to quarantine in place. There needs to be some sort of delivery of essential goods in place for these people that also accommodates those who can't pay for goods.

Spain is now discovering dead elderly abandoned in senior living facilities. How soon before we find the same dead in their homes.
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:46 pm
12skipafew wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:13 pm Liquor stores aren’t open in PA but state stores are, they sell more than just beer though. They also distribute soda and water and you can’t go into the store anymore they only deliver in bulk. The liquor stores around me are boarded up because they are preparing for looters in case a full quarantine happens.
Carpy wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:01 pm We essentially have states picking winners and losers. Why are liquor stores essential?
Michigan considers them essential. All of them are open. Business as usual.
How about the AA meetings? Are those allowed?
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Walmart CEO visited Trump at the White House along with other CEO,s from Target, Walgreens, etc. I’m sure that is some of the reason Target and Walmart have been allowed to continue to sell everything, not just food.
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

29again wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:00 pm
Carpy wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:46 pm
12skipafew wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 5:13 pm Liquor stores aren’t open in PA but state stores are, they sell more than just beer though. They also distribute soda and water and you can’t go into the store anymore they only deliver in bulk. The liquor stores around me are boarded up because they are preparing for looters in case a full quarantine happens.
Michigan considers them essential. All of them are open. Business as usual.
How about the AA meetings? Are those allowed?
In our county, they have moved online which only works if you have internet.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:26 pm

Spain is now discovering dead elderly abandoned in senior living facilities. How soon before we find the same dead in their homes.
Sad story someone linked about a 42 year old found dead from the virus near Atlanta GA at home with a small child. It’s not just the elderly.
Locked Previous topicNext topic