Drug addiction choice or not

Reedusstalker

Unread post

I think at first it's a choice. You choose to start doing drugs or not. After time, it is no longer a choice as your body begins to depend on it.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

My opinion: Addictions always start with a choice. Alcoholism runs in my family. I choose not to drink. However, once the choice is made, addictions take over and it's no longer a matter of choosing to stop.
Anon drugs

Unread post

Reedusstalker wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:28 am I think at first it's a choice. You choose to start doing drugs or not. After time, it is no longer a choice as your body begins to depend on it.
Then why put yourself in the position. You can become addicted to some street drugs from trying it one time. You choose to do it that one time, you made the choice to become an addict.
Reedusstalker

Unread post

Anon drugs wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:33 am
Reedusstalker wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:28 am I think at first it's a choice. You choose to start doing drugs or not. After time, it is no longer a choice as your body begins to depend on it.
Then why put yourself in the position. You can become addicted to some street drugs from trying it one time. You choose to do it that one time, you made the choice to become an addict.
I agree with you. There is no reason to even try drugs, none. But my statement stands. After time, it is no longer a choice as your body will depend on it.
TheQueenOfEverything
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I think it’s funny when people form deeply held convictions about things when they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about, like, at all.
Anon drugs wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:50 am A lot of people think it isn't a choice. I disagree. Anyone over the age of 12 knows drugs are bad. They are addictive. You may not have a choice once you become addicted but the addiction itself was a choice. You choose to do drugs that lead to the addiction.

The reason I have never been addicted to drugs is because I CHOOSE to not do drugs. In my youth, in the past I have been around people who did drugs and they were offered to me but i always turned them down.

The only exception to the rule that I believe maybe pill addiction . Pain pills addiction is bad around here. I can see that starting due to an injury. Or people being addicted to nerve pills. But addiction to drugs like coke, crank, meth, crack, heroin etc I believe all starts with a choice.

Wdyt?
Anonymous100

Unread post

It’s a ton more complicated then yes it’s a choice or no it’s not a choice. It’s a biological genetic thing. It’s a cultural thing. It’s a family issue.

I believe some people are just more biologically predisposed to be an addict. And depending on how you are raised it can be a family issue. Each situation is unique.

For example...imagine you are born into a family of drug use. You are young and drug use is the norm. Young children are impressionable. As a child you are exposed to pot. Then as a preteen you take your first hit of Meth. I’ve heard people describe their first use of Meth and it is an amazing feeling, so I’ve been told. It triggers a deep seeded addiction and you become an addict. Is that a choice?

I know soneone who has tried Meth. Did not become addicted. However their family has no addicts in it. Thier genetic pool doesn’t favor addiction. Another person may have tried it once and been an addict upon first try.

It’s simply not fair to compare people and label. It’s more complicated that that and it’s a social and family issue.
Anon drugs

Unread post

TheQueenOfEverything wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:37 am I think it’s funny when people form deeply held convictions about things when they have absolutely no idea what they are talking about, like, at all.
Anon drugs wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 9:50 am A lot of people think it isn't a choice. I disagree. Anyone over the age of 12 knows drugs are bad. They are addictive. You may not have a choice once you become addicted but the addiction itself was a choice. You choose to do drugs that lead to the addiction.

The reason I have never been addicted to drugs is because I CHOOSE to not do drugs. In my youth, in the past I have been around people who did drugs and they were offered to me but i always turned them down.

The only exception to the rule that I believe maybe pill addiction . Pain pills addiction is bad around here. I can see that starting due to an injury. Or people being addicted to nerve pills. But addiction to drugs like coke, crank, meth, crack, heroin etc I believe all starts with a choice.

Wdyt?

That is the thing I do know what I am talking about. I have a brother who is addict. My mom was an alcoholic, her husband was an alcoholic, I was in a 3 yr relationship with a crack addict, my nephew was a addict, and my dd boyfriend is addict. I have spent my whole life around addicts. My convictions come from life experience.
Spunky
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Addiction isn't a choice.
Anon drugs

Unread post

Spunky wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:49 am Addiction isn't a choice.

I diasgree. People choose to do the drugs that lead to addiction. If you never choose to do the drugs then you won't become able addict.
Spunky
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Anon drugs wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:51 am
Spunky wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:49 am Addiction isn't a choice.

I diasgree. People choose to do the drugs that lead to addiction. If you never choose to do the drugs then you won't become able addict.

Good for you.
Locked Previous topicNext topic