S/O For those that said the keurig is fair game in the break room...

Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MonkeySeeMonkeyDo wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:09 am I just can’t imagine using someone else’s things, but I was taught as a child that I didn’t have to share. My things were mine.

What happens when someone breaks the kurieg? Are they going to replace it? Or expect the person who owns it to replace it?
Expect the owner to replace it.
RealisticBeauty
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I wouldn't use people things without permission
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo
Patreon
Patreon
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Inmybizz wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:43 am
MonkeySeeMonkeyDo wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:09 am I just can’t imagine using someone else’s things, but I was taught as a child that I didn’t have to share. My things were mine.

What happens when someone breaks the kurieg? Are they going to replace it? Or expect the person who owns it to replace it?
People are assholes aren’t they?
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Respecting someone's religion is a whole lot different than just not using something because one person can't figure out how to share. Own personal appliances are not allowed at my job, keep them in your locker if you don't want others to use them. Anything besides food in the break room is considered fair game for everyone. Food is to be labeled and kept in the fridge or your locker. If you leave it out and someone eats it that would be rude but it also would be your fault because they probably assumed it was for everyone since it wasn't labeled.
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:19 am Respecting someone's religion is a whole lot different than just not using something because one person can't figure out how to share. Own personal appliances are not allowed at my job, keep them in your locker if you don't want others to use them. Anything besides food in the break room is considered fair game for everyone. Food is to be labeled and kept in the fridge or your locker. If you leave it out and someone eats it that would be rude but it also would be your fault because they probably assumed it was for everyone since it wasn't labeled.

You make a good point about religuous reasons being a little bit different.

But in general, I think you're right. It really boils down to what the rules are in the place that you work. And you can't expect the way things are done to change for you. Or be mad at other people for behaving in a way that is consistent with their rules.
wildflowers25
Regent
Regent

Unread post

If this is what offices are like these days, I'm glad I don't work in one any more. Just because it's there does not mean it's fair game.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:25 am Mom2boys973 brought up an interesting point. She said her DH has his own microwave on the break room counter for his personal use only because he keeps kosher. So, would you still use that microwave because it's there or would you respect his personal use of it? After all it is taking up valuable counter space, someone may be using the other one and you only have a few minutes to eat, he shouldn't have brought it in the first place etc.
I noticed that. Religious and medical reasons are a bit different. But I would hope that he at least talked with people ahead of time and said "Hey, here's why I need this to be for my use only. I'm not just being a dick about it." It's easier to be gracious about accommodating odd requests when the person asks ahead of time instead of just expects everyone to follow their rules.

It's like when we had a temp in our area who apparently had allergic reactions to microwave popcorn. So she talked to management before she started and they sent out a memo ahead of time asking that no one make microwave popcorn in our area. They offered that we could go to a different floor and make it and bring it back to our desks. No one had issues complying.

The difference with Keurig lady is that she said nothing ahead of time (as far as we know). She just plopped it out there and expected no one to touch it and then got all upset when people did.
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

wildflowers25 wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:48 am If this is what offices are like these days, I'm glad I don't work in one any more. Just because it's there does not mean it's fair game.

To be fair, I've never encountered any drama of this nature in the workplace. Per usual, more drama happens here than seems to occur in the real world. :)
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

MonkeySeeMonkeyDo wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:12 am
Inmybizz wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:43 am

People are assholes aren’t they?
lol..yes.
leadfoot40
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Inmybizz wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:51 am If a person puts something in the break room and requested it not be used/eaten. I wouldn’t mess with it... It’s a boundary respect thing for me.

I wouldn’t have used the keurig either. I don’t believe everything in a break room or shared space is fair game for everyone to use.
Locked Previous topicNext topic