WWYD - Summer Camp Edition

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Every year my children go to the same summer camp but has ODS gets older, more and more of his friends go to sleep away camp. He’s not interested in sleep away camp yet, so he will go to his usual day camp.

I reached out to the camp because ODS has become good friends with 3 campers that are 1 year older than him. The camp offered to place him in that group. So would you put him in the group with the older kids or keep him in his age group?
Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I would keep him in his age group, unless he is really insistent that he wants to be in the older group. It will give him a chance to make new friends, which is part of the fun of camp.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:45 am I would keep him in his age group, unless he is really insistent that he wants to be in the older group. It will give him a chance to make new friends, which is part of the fun of camp.
I was thinking of splitting it and having him spend part of the summer in each group.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

If he doesn't want to do the sleep away, leave him where he is.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

jas wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:52 am If he doesn't want to do the sleep away, leave him where he is.
That’s exactly what I was doing. My question was if I should place him with the older campers that he is friends with already or leave him with his age group.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I apologize, as I don't want to nitpick, but you should add a phrase to your OP,
Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:43 am Every year my children go to the same summer camp but has ODS gets older, more and more of his friends go to sleep away camp. He’s not interested in sleep away camp yet, so he will go to his usual day camp, but his same-age friend group is getting very small at his usual summer camp.
that helps clarify your post, otherwise, to me it is confusing.

I would let him be in an older group, if it is only a year or two different.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:18 am
jas wrote: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:52 am If he doesn't want to do the sleep away, leave him where he is.
That’s exactly what I was doing. My question was if I should place him with the older campers that he is friends with already or leave him with his age group.
I'd leave him with his age group. There's no guarantee they're going to want to hang with him with other kids their ages there. There's always a flip side.
highlandmum
Regent
Regent

Unread post

What is different when it comes to the activities?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

So let me get this straight. Your question is really should tu ou move your kid up to the next group with his friends or keep him with his own age at day camp. Sleep away camp really has nothing to do with this.
How old is your son? Is it a big deal to him that his friends are in the older group? Why did you bother asking for accommodations without knowing if you were going to use them? It drives me nuts when parents ask for accommodations and I make a big deal making sure it will work out then they go nevermind. Then why did you even ask? Seriously frustrating.
Deleted User 1393

Unread post

I'd let him decided which group. I mean its summer camp whats the downside either way
Locked Previous topicNext topic