'A dangerous historical precedent'

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
HanSolo
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ags-ur ... -precedent

State AGs urge Senate to reject impeachment in stinging letter: 'A dangerous historical precedent'
"Even an unsuccessful effort to impeach the President undermines the integrity of the 2020 presidential election because it weaponizes a process that should only be initiated in exceedingly rare circumstances and should never be used for partisan purposes," the letter continued.
Baconqueen13
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I can see the point that's trying to be made. With such a polarized US vs THEM mentality in politics, we don't need impeachment becoming the new way to "stick it to the opposition". However, on that same note I think we should hold our leaders to a higher standard of accountability and we shouldn't excuse their impeachable offenses simply because of an impending election. That would also set a dangerous precedent.
Deleted User 638

Unread post

Republican AGs siding with a Republican president. Who would have thought that would happen?
moviestar
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

the dangerous precedent is the one where a president is above the law if their party has enough senators in office. I would say the right would bitterly regret setting that precedent once democrats retake power, but since republicans are the ones who tend to elect criminals the issue probably won’t arise.
Deleted User 638

Unread post

moviestar wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:32 pm the dangerous precedent is the one where a president is above the law if their party has enough senators in office. I would say the right would bitterly regret setting that precedent once democrats retake power, but since republicans are the ones who tend to elect criminals the issue probably won’t arise.

This will come back and bite the Republicans in the ass. The sad thing is the nation will be paying once again for their lack of a spine.
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

That’s their story and they’re sticking to it. The republicans count on the ignorance of Trump’s base. The base doesn’t have a grasp on what happened in Ukraine because their news sources don’t cover the facts.

During this joke of a trial, the Republicans can’t dispute the corruption because there is too much corroboration and evidence. So they claim it’s all about hating the president. And the base repeats it.

They fear the base might find out what really happened so they have banned actual witnesses and documents. Talk about abuse of power.
Smarties
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

I actually think there is some value to considering this. I believe Trump does have faults and transgressions, but I believe they all do to some extent. There is at least some percentage of this whole thing motivated by partisan politics and the upcoming election.
Deleted User 1393

Unread post

Imagine if you will barock being judged the way President Trump has been judged...just for shits and giggles
WellPreserved
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

iamanon wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:21 pm Imagine if you will barock being judged the way President Trump has been judged...just for shits and giggles
He was, wasn't he?
"The books that the world calls immoral are books that show its own shame." - Oscar Wilde
Deleted User 1393

Unread post

WellPreserved wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:24 pm
iamanon wrote: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:21 pm Imagine if you will barock being judged the way President Trump has been judged...just for shits and giggles
He was, wasn't he?
No and you know that.
Locked Previous topicNext topic