What would you do if this was your child and nanny?

Olioxenfree
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 6 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:13 pm Reading through these responses, I’m pretty sure that most of you have never had household staff like a nanny or housekeeper / child driver around your kids. I don’t know a single child, no matter how polite or well behaved, that is around a person that his parents pay to take care of him, drive him, wash his clothes, etc that hasn’t at least provided an argument to his parents about why that person should be fired. And I have in fact fired a nanny after ODS said to her, “I’m telling my mom about this and she’s going to fire you.”

You’re all getting too caught up in the words a 6 year used to tell this woman that he thinks she should be fired, and you’re all jumping all over a 6 year old because of your own internal biases.
I was a nanny for years and never once had a child say that to me.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 6 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:13 pm Reading through these responses, I’m pretty sure that most of you have never had household staff like a nanny or housekeeper / child driver around your kids. I don’t know a single child, no matter how polite or well behaved, that is around a person that his parents pay to take care of him, drive him, wash his clothes, etc that hasn’t at least provided an argument to his parents about why that person should be fired. And I have in fact fired a nanny after ODS said to her, “I’m telling my mom about this and she’s going to fire you.”

You’re all getting too caught up in the words a 6 year used to tell this woman that he thinks she should be fired, and you’re all jumping all over a 6 year old because of your own internal biases.
I'm going to fire you, in my opinion, is not the same as my child saying "I own you". Do you not agree? We own a cat, we don't own our nanny. Just sayin'
That'swhatshesaid
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Or maybe other people are not raising their kids to be disrespectful little shits who think it's acceptable to treat the "help " like they're not good enough. You're a perfect example why having money doesn't mean you have class.
Anonymous 9

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:47 am This came up yesterday in a group I’m in.

Nanny is black. Child is a white 6 year old boy.

Child wanted ice cream. Nanny said no. Child said “my mom and dad own you, if you don’t do what I want they will fire you”

Nanny becomes offended, says it feels like she lives on a plantation and she said she had some choice words with the kid. She doesn’t tell us what she said only that the nanny poppins in the group would probably find what she said to be wrong.

She said she also told the parents what the kid said and they said they would address it.

One comment from a white nanny said that she has had the same thing happen to her. I, too, have had that said to me and I asked 2 other friends who happen to be white nannies and they’ve said they have had kids say the same to them.

The op in the post acknowledged that had it been a black child that said it to her she would not have gotten her feelings hurt.

So how would you handle the situation if you were the parent?

For me, I’d def have a convo with my bratty child and there would be punishments for what he said but if the nanny is turning something into a racial argument that I feel isn’t a racial argument I’d fire her.
Was the nanny's name Manny? Not that I believe this post for a second
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 9 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:26 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:47 am This came up yesterday in a group I’m in.

Nanny is black. Child is a white 6 year old boy.

Child wanted ice cream. Nanny said no. Child said “my mom and dad own you, if you don’t do what I want they will fire you”

Nanny becomes offended, says it feels like she lives on a plantation and she said she had some choice words with the kid. She doesn’t tell us what she said only that the nanny poppins in the group would probably find what she said to be wrong.

She said she also told the parents what the kid said and they said they would address it.

One comment from a white nanny said that she has had the same thing happen to her. I, too, have had that said to me and I asked 2 other friends who happen to be white nannies and they’ve said they have had kids say the same to them.

The op in the post acknowledged that had it been a black child that said it to her she would not have gotten her feelings hurt.

So how would you handle the situation if you were the parent?

For me, I’d def have a convo with my bratty child and there would be punishments for what he said but if the nanny is turning something into a racial argument that I feel isn’t a racial argument I’d fire her.
Was the nanny's name Manny? Not that I believe this post for a second
Attachments
91518AFA-1D15-47DD-93FC-05E7E99775CC.jpeg
45D7AD8D-5AE5-4E80-8920-5FC04AA77572.jpeg
Anonymous 6

Unread post

Anonymous 8 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 4:53 pm

I have never had this said to me in any form in the 25 years i have been a Nanny.. to me it's a huge reflection on how the parents talk about their hired help
I didn’t say that every child said it to the service provider, what I said is that they pretty much all at some point try to get the person fired. In this instance the child was wrong, but he’s 6, not 10, so it sounds like the nanny’s reaction was wrong too.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

Olioxenfree wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:32 pm

I was a nanny for years and never once had a child say that to me.
Re-read. I said children make cases to their parents about why the nanny should be fired.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

That'swhatshesaid wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:46 pm

Or maybe other people are not raising their kids to be disrespectful little shits who think it's acceptable to treat the "help " like they're not good enough. You're a perfect example why having money doesn't mean you have class.
I fired the nanny because she brought a sick child to pick my child up from preschool, brought the same sick child (that I had never met, no idea who the parents were etc) to my home, and took my son to the mystery sick child’s house to drop her off before I got home from work thinking I would never be the wiser. My son was absolutely right to tell her she was violating the rules and I absolutely fired her for it. What would you have done?

And before you ask, she was my full-time nanny with guaranteed hours, paid time-off, benefits, driving a vehicle that I provided, using my credit card, and getting paid $30 an hour.
Anonymous 6

Unread post

LiveWhatULove wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:32 pm

I'm going to fire you, in my opinion, is not the same as my child saying "I own you". Do you not agree? We own a cat, we don't own our nanny. Just sayin'
I think the child is a six year old that chose his words poorly. We see middle aged women make poor word choices all day long on this site. Why hold him to a higher standard?
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Anonymous 6 wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:08 pm
LiveWhatULove wrote: Sat Jan 18, 2020 5:32 pm

I think the child is a six year old that chose his words poorly. We see middle aged women make poor word choices all day long on this site. Why hold him to a higher standard?
Perhaps OR he easily could have heard similar statements from adults. You have no way of knowing.
Locked Previous topicNext topic