Most used word in the debate: TAX

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
KnotaDinghy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

hockeymom87 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:56 pm
KnotaDinghy wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 10:52 am
jas wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:42 am

It's hit and miss, but overall (in my experience) I will say yes.
I’m still annoyed it took 3 years for my son to get an appointment after returning from deployment and struggling. He requested help for PTSD and was put on a waiting list for about 2 years then his appointment was 8 months away. With that proxy, it’s understandable that we see 22 suicides per day in the veteran community. Completely unacceptable.
That’s awful.
He’s much better now. It was awful.
Government should be out of healthcare completely.
“You’re either on drugs or retarded.
Nobody posts the crap you post unless they’re abnormal.” - derp
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

KnotaDinghy wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:51 pm

Do you think the VA and Tri-Care are managed pretty good?
I’m still annoyed it took 3 years for my son to get an appointment after returning from deployment and struggling. He requested help for PTSD and was put on a waiting list for about 2 years then his appointment was 8 months away. With that proxy, it’s understandable that we see 22 suicides per day in the veteran community. Completely unacceptable.
It is unacceptable. There have been many changes. For one - there's now a hotline. For another, Tricare will pay for mental health - no referral needed. Did he try to be seen on the civilian side?
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

KnotaDinghy wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:51 pm

Do you think the VA and Tri-Care are managed pretty good?
We have a similar problem with care of our veterans in Canada. Canada does not have the size of a military that it needs (being the second largest country in the world), so our veterans do deployment after deployment. When they have medical issues like PTSD, it literally takes them years to get any help. Like the U.S., our veteran suicide rate is high as well. When a soldier with PTSD gets into trouble, they are treated like criminals and not injured veterans.
KnotaDinghy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Valentina327 wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 11:11 am

That's beyond unacceptable. But there's money for California to provide free healthcare to the criminals that sneak over our border, ignoring our laws. Funny, no one talks about the cruelty of this type of thing that happens all the time to our heros, but we have to hear ad nauseam about the cruelty of "kids in cages". Absurd and infuriating.
It makes me angry.
KnotaDinghy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

jas wrote: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:14 pm

It is unacceptable. There have been many changes. For one - there's now a hotline. For another, Tricare will pay for mental health - no referral needed. Did he try to be seen on the civilian side?
At the time, no. If he had been seen as a civilian and diagnosed with PTSD, the help he got and is getting would not have been covered. He waited. Thankfully he had a great system of support from the base he was associated with. He’s a survivor and not a statistic.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

KnotaDinghy wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:37 pm

At the time, no. If he had been seen as a civilian and diagnosed with PTSD, the help he got and is getting would not have been covered. He waited. Thankfully he had a great system of support from the base he was associated with. He’s a survivor and not a statistic.
That is a blessing. We have known a few statistics, unfortunately.
Deleted User 172

Unread post

Linda_Runs wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:09 am
CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:01 am
Linda_Runs wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:45 am

My effective tax rate ends up being about 28% after applied deductions. On top of that, we pay somewhere around $8,000 to $12,000 per year in health services tax and other taxes on products and services. The average Canadian pays about 45 percent of their entire gross income in all taxes throughout the year.
Incredible. :x
A free healthcare system is far from free, specially when the government is running it and in bed with the suppliers.
So here's my question.
How do you afford to live? How do you afford your rent/mortgage, food, entertainment, etc.
Seems like having 45% of my income just gone would put a really big dent into my and everybody else's lifestyle and we'd all be in relative poverty.
KnotaDinghy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

jas wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 4:47 pm
KnotaDinghy wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:37 pm

That is a blessing. We have known a few statistics, unfortunately.
Sorry to hear that.
Linda_Runs
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Dylexsmommy wrote: Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:05 pm
Linda_Runs wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:09 am
CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:01 am

Incredible. :x
A free healthcare system is far from free, specially when the government is running it and in bed with the suppliers.
So here's my question.
How do you afford to live? How do you afford your rent/mortgage, food, entertainment, etc.
Seems like having 45% of my income just gone would put a really big dent into my and everybody else's lifestyle and we'd all be in relative poverty.
Your question is a very good one which I will answer. Taxes here put a huge dent into our lives with taxes usually being an election issue. For the lower to middle and upper middle class, wages and salaries are higher in Canada than in the U.S. Police, teachers, nurses firefighters, military warrant officers and above and middle of the scale public servants are all in the $80,000 to $110,000 per year. Minimum wage in Ontario is $14 per hour. So inflation is a direct result of our tax system combined with our pay scales.

Like in the U.S., poverty is also an issue in Canada, however our tax system also supports a very good welfare system; too good in my opinion! So rock bottom here is softer than it is in the U.S., except for the states with excellent welfare systems, but I would imagine those states also have higher taxes than other states.

I can go on, but if you have any further specific questions, I will endeavour to answer.
Locked Previous topicNext topic