S/O Is using the term BM offensive?

Anonymous 1

Unread post

Is using the term BM to refer to a bio mom offensive?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

No.
I thought was an odd reaction.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

I don' understand the need for it. The mother of a child doesn't need a handle attached to "mother".
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 3 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:08 pm I don' understand the need for it. The mother of a child doesn't need a handle attached to "mother".
It is an abbreviation that is well known on this website
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:09 pm
Anonymous 3 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:08 pm I don' understand the need for it. The mother of a child doesn't need a handle attached to "mother".
It is an abbreviation that is well known on this website

Why is an abbreviation needed? Mom is not a lengthy word to type.
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

It’s not really appropriately used most of the time. Specifically defining the relationship to genetics implies that she’s not the primary person raising the child.

Besides, do adopted kids never have step parents? Do you still refer to the adoptive mother as the “biomom”? If not, then you aren’t just referring to the role.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

SolidlyAverage wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:12 pm It’s not really appropriately used most of the time. Specifically defining the relationship to genetics implies that she’s not the primary person raising the child.

Besides, do adopted kids never have step parents? Do you still refer to the adoptive mother as the “biomom”? If not, then you aren’t just referring to the role.
How does it imply she is not raising the child primarily?

I am a BM, that says nothing about custody.
Deleted User 638

Unread post

SolidlyAverage wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:12 pm It’s not really appropriately used most of the time. Specifically defining the relationship to genetics implies that she’s not the primary person raising the child.

You beat me to it. It's misleading.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

AnnieArk wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:15 pm

How is it misleading?
Deleted User 638

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:16 pm
AnnieArk wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:15 pm

How is it misleading?

Out in the real world, a bio mom is someone who has either given up her children or lost custody. It's not used to refer to a woman who is actually raising her own children.
Locked Previous topicNext topic