16-year-old son doesn't want to be a dad.

Anonymous 1

Unread post

My sixteen-year-old son is going to be a dad in two months. It's been a nightmare watching him struggle with the mother of the child, her parents, etc. They keep hounding him to get two jobs but how can he when he goes to school and already has ONE job that takes up so much of his time? My son is exhausted!! I'm afraid of his mental wellbeing since he hasn't been in a good mood for a while now. My son confessed to me that he doesn't want this baby. He wants to just walk away from the whole situation. I know that sounds horrible but he said that he's just not ready to be a father. He's got big plans for college and he doesn't see how a baby fits into all of this. What can I do? I feel so bad for this innocent little life that will be here soon but I just cannot stand to see my son losing out on his life and all the stuff that he had planned. He doesn't want to be with this girl (she was a one night stand). He's in a mess!! Can he legally sign his rights away? If he can, does this mean that he will be out of paying child support?
caustib
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

He can relinquish his rights, but he will still have to pay child support. Or you can, if you want to keep babying him.
Sassy762
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Just quoting this in case this doesnt go the way OP thinks its going to and deletes :)
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:30 pm My sixteen-year-old son is going to be a dad in two months. It's been a nightmare watching him struggle with the mother of the child, her parents, etc. They keep hounding him to get two jobs but how can he when he goes to school and already has ONE job that takes up so much of his time? My son is exhausted!! I'm afraid of his mental wellbeing since he hasn't been in a good mood for a while now. My son confessed to me that he doesn't want this baby. He wants to just walk away from the whole situation. I know that sounds horrible but he said that he's just not ready to be a father. He's got big plans for college and he doesn't see how a baby fits into all of this. What can I do? I feel so bad for this innocent little life that will be here soon but I just cannot stand to see my son losing out on his life and all the stuff that he had planned. He doesn't want to be with this girl (she was a one night stand). He's in a mess!! Can he legally sign his rights away? If he can, does this mean that he will be out of paying child support?
Attachments
giphy (43).gif
carterscutie85
Princess
Princess

Unread post

He doesn't have to visit the baby, but regardless he will always have to pay support unless someone else adopts the baby.

If this was my son, first thing I would do is get a DNA test. If that was my grandchild my son would be paying support. I would help with the baby any way I could. I couldn't make my son see the baby, but I would want to.

He can fit being a Dad in with college. He can get legal visitation every other weekend, once a month, whatever and come home to see it. But if he doesn't want to at the very least he needs to financially support the baby unless she meets someone else who wants to take over. And no, he doesn't have to get 2 jobs. CS will be based off his income. They just want more money.

Since he is a minor, they may even count your income but I am not sure how that works with CS. Hopefully they don't if you can't afford it.
CrazyJenn
Donated
Donated
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

If he didn't want to be a dad then he shouldn't have been having S*x with anyone! He doesn't just get to sign it away and go on with his life.

Bullshit!
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:30 pm My sixteen-year-old son is going to be a dad in two months. It's been a nightmare watching him struggle with the mother of the child, her parents, etc. They keep hounding him to get two jobs but how can he when he goes to school and already has ONE job that takes up so much of his time? My son is exhausted!! I'm afraid of his mental wellbeing since he hasn't been in a good mood for a while now. My son confessed to me that he doesn't want this baby. He wants to just walk away from the whole situation. I know that sounds horrible but he said that he's just not ready to be a father. He's got big plans for college and he doesn't see how a baby fits into all of this. What can I do? I feel so bad for this innocent little life that will be here soon but I just cannot stand to see my son losing out on his life and all the stuff that he had planned. He doesn't want to be with this girl (she was a one night stand). He's in a mess!! Can he legally sign his rights away? If he can, does this mean that he will be out of paying child support?
First, he's not very smart for having S*x in the first place and dumber for not using protection.
He needs to grow up and take responsibility for F***ing up and you should be teliing him that instead of whining and trying to excuse his dumb actions.
He's on the hook for child support for at least 18 years and in some states, 21 years.
PoplarGrove
Donated
Donated
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Sadly, biology only gave him one kick at the can to not become a Dad and didn't take the chance. (keeping it in his pants)

He can relinquish his rights but that doesn't relieve him of the legal obligation to pay child support. I would recommend he have a paternity test done as soon as the baby's born, though, to prove without a doubt that he is the father. You never know, maybe he'll luck out and he isn't the father.
MrsDavidB
Queen Mother
Queen Mother

Unread post

He does not have to be a physical parent to the child. He will however still have to pay support. I would let him make the choice for now. After the baby is born he may change his mind and want to be involved. Or not. What a mess and another child born into a bad situation. A shame.
Anonymous 1

Unread post

caustib wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:34 pm He can relinquish his rights, but he will still have to pay child support. Or you can, if you want to keep babying him.
Well if he's going to have to pay child support than he might as well see his child. I hope that his feelings will change for the baby once she arrives. Right now he just feels numb to all of this. He's overworked and not getting enough sleep. And NO I don't think that I'm babying him. I'm being realistic in the fact that he's only sixteen years old. He's still a kid himself.
EarlGrayHot
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Yeah-what a load of crap! Does the girl who is carrying HIS baby get to walk away? NO! Your kid is a little jerk to think he can have S*x but never pay the consequences. I don't care if it was a one night stand although both you and he seem to think that somehow makes a difference. Boo hoo...he's not ready to be a dad. Boo hoo...he doesn't think a baby will fit in with his plans for college and the future. You failed to raise your kid properly.
Locked Previous topicNext topic