running your engine at the drive in theater

RedBottoms

Unread post

I went to a drive in theater last night to see new Jurassic Park movie. Its a big popular place just outside town. We usually get there close to when gates open to get a good spot etc. Well some big ass Chevy SUV parked near us and then left their motor running. Well I figured maybe when the movie starts they will turn it off.

They didn't. So no only was it blowing exhaust all over the people near it- it was also LOUD. The motor running was loud as crap. We had our car radio and the tailgater speaker thing we used turned all the way up and it was hard to hear the movie with the rrrr rrrr rrr of that engine at all times.

Finally after about 15 mins in they turned it off. I wonder if someone said something to them. We were literally surrounded so every space near that SUV was taken so it was probably bothering a ton of people. We were in the row behind then and down one spot. I think the people next to us directly behind them were pissed off about it too because they were going to sit outside their car and ended up moving inside the car right away probably because they could not hear.

Would you have said something? Is it okay to do something like that? The drive in does not have specific rules not to do that but its kinda understood not to. Do you think the establishment should police that type of thing?
famousglm714
Regent
Regent

Unread post

We do that in the winter but everyone has their windows up anyway. Plus both our cars are pretty quiet. Yes, we go in the winter too, lol. No, I wouldn’t say anything. Only because the area our drive in is located in is sort of rough. Police would not come for that sort of thing there, lol.
RedBottoms

Unread post

famousglm714 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:31 pm We do that in the winter but everyone has their windows up anyway. Plus both our cars are pretty quiet. Yes, we go in the winter too, lol. No, I wouldn’t say anything. Only because the area our drive in is located in is sort of rough. Police would not come for that sort of thing there, lol.
this place is only open in spring summer and early sept. So warmer months. Just about everyone stays outside the cars in camp chairs or in the truck bed or in the back of vans or SUVs. So its kinda expected you do not run your engine
famousglm714
Regent
Regent

Unread post

RedBottoms wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:36 pm
famousglm714 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:31 pm We do that in the winter but everyone has their windows up anyway. Plus both our cars are pretty quiet. Yes, we go in the winter too, lol. No, I wouldn’t say anything. Only because the area our drive in is located in is sort of rough. Police would not come for that sort of thing there, lol.
this place is only open in spring summer and early sept. So warmer months. Just about everyone stays outside the cars in camp chairs or in the truck bed or in the back of vans or SUVs. So its kinda expected you do not run your engine
I think it’s rude and should be filed under common curtesy. In the summer a lot people would have their windows down. The probelm at ours is people don’t turn off their damn headlights.
J&M Mom
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

The drive in we go to has security that drives on go carts and reminds people of the rules. If they didn’t have that I would have no problem asking the person politely to turn off the engine.
bmw29
Regent
Regent

Unread post

The rule at ours is loud engines must remain off during the movie. They do come around and enforce it. You also have to have your hatch level with the roof of your car and keep your lights off.
RedBottoms

Unread post

bmw29 wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:49 pm The rule at ours is loud engines must remain off during the movie. They do come around and enforce it. You also have to have your hatch level with the roof of your car and keep your lights off.
Lights off are another understood rule. We don't have the hatch rule. I am not sure how to even halfway leave my van trunk hatch up. Everyone backs in the vans and SUVs and leaves the hatches up. If you have a small car you just try to park behind another small car. That is one reason we get there early so we can try to park behind a small car and it works out pretty well that way
Reedusstalker

Unread post

I wont have thought a thing about it and would have had mine going too. At the drive in theater by where i grew up, everyone always kept theirs going.

Unread post

Too humid and too many mosquitoes for a drive in right now unless you can run the a.c. I'd have asked them to shut it off if it was more than a low grumble.
RedBottoms

Unread post

Reedusstalker wrote: Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:54 pm I wont have thought a thing about it and would have had mine going too. At the drive in theater by where i grew up, everyone always kept theirs going.
they were not even in the car! They had it backed up and had the back hatch up and were sitting on the tailgate. So I really did not even get what they were doing
Locked Previous topicNext topic