504s

Anonymous 1

Unread post

My DD16 was diagnosed with new food allergies over the summer. She has been breaking out in hives at random so we are still trying to figure out what is going on. I went to the school to drop off a note that she is allowed to have Benadryl on campus. They want her on a 504. They said that way she can carry the Benadryl cream around with her and not get in trouble. Also, if she is breaking out in hives, she can leave class to apply the Benadryl and it won't matter if there is a test going on. The teachers will have to let her.

I feel like a junior in high school should be able to say "look, I have hives. I have meds in the nurse's office. I need to go." But apparently, we now need a 504.

Just to be clear...she has had food allergies her entire life. We just now have new ones. They have never suggested a 504 before.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

I break out with hives at random. I don't know what causes them zyrtec is the best thing i have found that get rid of them and it is 1 pill a day. If i were you that is what i would do. It works better than any cream. It is expensive but works plus the genetic works too
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:51 am I break out with hives at random. I don't know what causes them zyrtec is the best thing i have found that get rid of them and it is 1 pill a day. If i were you that is what i would do. It works better than any cream. It is expensive but works plus the genetic works too
She takes Zyrtec every day. Her allergist put her on in twice a day.
Traci_Momof2
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Are you saying you don't want to do the 504 plan?

The 504 plan is the best thing to protect everyone involved. It protects the school AND it protects your daughter. Because maybe 9 out of 10 teachers would be ok with it even with the plan but for that 10th teacher who is strict and doesn't want to budge, it protects your daughter in case she needs to leave.

There's no reason not to do the 504 plan. It's so easy. One meeting and the counselor or principal can write it up, you sign it, done. Easy peasy and everyone is protected.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

Sounds like the school is trying to make it easier on everyone. I don't see why this is a problem for you.
Deleted User 1039

Unread post

It seems reasonable to me that she’d need documentation to carry meds or to leave class at any time.
madfoodie
Sparkles the Elf
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I'm not seeing the issue. If the 504 isn't followed bt a teacher you let the director of special ed know.
i want candy!
Anonymous 4

Unread post

Only in America are educators/schools so shitty
Anonymous 5

Unread post

If your DD already has a 504 in place, it would be so easy to add this. I'd just add it.
mater-three
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

Anonymous 4 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:45 pm Only in America are educators/schools so shitty
I’m not going to argue with your statement but I want to know why this post caused this response?
Locked Previous topicNext topic