I dont have rules for my kids

Anonymous 1

Unread post

I have 4 kids still at home. All of them are college or some sort of trade school. I have no rules for them. My sisterIL was visiting and asked why I dont have a curfew and rules for them.

I told her I do not think it is needed. My kids are already responsible and respectful. Maybe if they were out of control Id have rules or just kick them out. I am not going to police their lives. I would think it would be very sad to have to sit down and make rules for adults. I would feel like I failed as a parent.

She told me her adults who live at home still have daily chores, a curfew, and a bunch of other rules. She punishes them if they break the rules. I seriously had to try not to laugh when she talked about punishing them.

My kids are good kids, they arent perfect by any means but we have never had any real issues. I cant imagine having to have a set of rules for them
msgme
Donated
Donated
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I have no rules for my two adult children. One lives here all the time one just over the summer. As long as they clean up after themselves and are respectful of everyone else I’m good. My youngest will be 17 this Sunday and she has a few rules but not many.
It's time we stop
Hey, what's that sound?
Everybody look, what's going down?
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:29 pm I have 4 kids still at home. All of them are college or some sort of trade school. I have no rules for them. My sisterIL was visiting and asked why I dont have a curfew and rules for them.

I told her I do not think it is needed. My kids are already responsible and respectful. Maybe if they were out of control Id have rules or just kick them out. I am not going to police their lives. I would think it would be very sad to have to sit down and make rules for adults. I would feel like I failed as a parent.

She told me her adults who live at home still have daily chores, a curfew, and a bunch of other rules. She punishes them if they break the rules. I seriously had to try not to laugh when she talked about punishing them.

My kids are good kids, they arent perfect by any means but we have never had any real issues. I cant imagine having to have a set of rules for them
i agree but I only have 1 in college that works still living at home, the rest have their own homes or apartments. She comes and goes whenever she likes. As long as she goes to her classes each day, whatever she does after that is her business. Shes very responsible and texts me periodically during the day or night to let me know she's still breathing.
However, If I had 4 kids and unless they are 2 sets of irish twins or a set of quads, I may question my parenting for having so many still living at home still in college
Anonymous 1

Unread post

Anonymous 2 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:40 pm
Anonymous 1 wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:29 pm I have 4 kids still at home. All of them are college or some sort of trade school. I have no rules for them. My sisterIL was visiting and asked why I dont have a curfew and rules for them.

i agree but I only have 1 in college thatvworks still living at hom, the rest have their own homes or apartments. She comes and goes whenever she likes. As long as she goes to her classes each day, whatever she does after that is her business. Shes very responsible and texts me periodically during the day or night to let me know she's still breathing.
However, If I had 4 kids and unless they are 2 sets of irish twins or a set of quads, I may question my parenting for having so many still living at home in college
My kids can live at home as long as they are still in their programs at school. I dont see anything wrong with that
mrsjules79
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

If mine still lived at home I wouldn't ask her to contribute to the household bills but she would help out with some of the housework. She lives on her own and I still pay for her cell phone and the car payment since that was her graduation present but she is responsible for paying her car insurance, registration, gas and maintenance.
KaiandKadensMama
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

I had no rules when I reached adulthood. I worked, attended school, and did my thing.
Anonymous 3

Unread post

My oldest doesn't have any rules other than I expect him to clean up after himself and clean his bathroom while he's home on break. Other than that nothing. There’s no punishment, there’s no chore list other basic clean up after himself. I agree that if he was wild and just destroyed the house on a daily basis, I’d be pissed, but he’s not like that. He behaves like the adult he is, so he gets treated like the adult he is.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

When I was an adult living at home I had certain “rules”. Didn’t feel like such, though, because they were common sense: be responsible with your studies, no drinking or drugs, or if you’re going to be late, call. And other rules were just basic respect for their home, like don’t have guys stay over.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Anonymous 4

Unread post

My baby-youngest of 5 is 18-I don't give rules, chores, etc to adult children. If you grew up in my house, you know how to act, and how to clean up after yourself, etc. If I still had to police my 18 year old I would know that I failed as a parent.
Inmybizz
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

I have a 15 yr old...we have rules/expectations.
After I graduated HS I left for college and never returned home.
Locked Previous topicNext topic