madfoodie
Sparkles the Elf
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Anonymous 8 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:33 am
Anonymous 10 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:04 am
madfoodie wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:25 am

This. You really do need a bsn for higher pay. I'm looking at a bachelor's in childhood education with emphasis on special education.
I definitly need a bachelor's for that. Good thing I have credits I can transfer.
If you want to teach you will need to get a masters degree.
Not really. To obtain a license in most states only a BA is required. Most districts prefer to hire teachers with only a BA. They are cheaper. I didn’t obtain my MA until having been teaching FT for a few years already.
You don't here. If I want to teach community college level then I do.
i want candy!
Deleted User 1344

Unread post

Anonymous 10 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:01 am
Anonymous 10 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:04 am

If you want to teach you will need to get a masters degree.
Not really. To obtain a license in most states only a BA is required. Most districts prefer to hire teachers with only a BA. They are cheaper. I didn’t obtain my MA until having been teaching FT for a few years already.
Must be different in my area because you have to have a masters to teach. In all the districts around you can be a substitute with a bachelors but they give you a 30 hour a year limit unless you are working on your masters.
That’s odd.
We have lived in several states and all that’s needed is a BS in education.
The Masters might eventually be added.
Anonymous 10

Unread post

Ledina60 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:32 pm

Must be different in my area because you have to have a masters to teach. In all the districts around you can be a substitute with a bachelors but they give you a 30 hour a year limit unless you are working on your masters.
That’s odd.
I think it's the area we live in it's a higher middle class area. We have high standards for teachers and no shortage either since most get paid pretty good at least by teacher standards and it's a public school.
Anonymous 8

Unread post

Anonymous 10 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:39 pm

That’s odd.
I think it's the area we live in it's a higher middle class area. We have high standards for teachers and no shortage either since most get paid pretty good at least by teacher standards and it's a public school.
Are you in MA? I know they rank high. My district is in an area I’d never be able to afford. Lol There are 100s of applicants per every open position here. We have graduates who never find teaching positions out here, and are forced to go where the pay is lower and the drive farther. It’s beneficial to start with a BA as districts reimburse for tuition when going for your Masters. Mine paid a good chunk of my MA tuition.
Deleted User 1393

Unread post

She need to contribute.
Anonymous 10

Unread post

Anonymous 8 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:46 pm
That’s odd.
Are you in MA? I know they rank high. My district is in an area I’d never be able to afford. Lol There are 100s of applicants per every open position here. We have graduates who never find teaching positions out here, and are forced to go where the pay is lower and the drive farther. It’s beneficial to start with a BA as districts reimburse for tuition when going for your Masters. Mine paid a good chunk of my MA tuition.
No NY state but not NY city. All the good school districts around require a masters and the struggling school districts don't but they also can't afford to reimburse to get a masters. Our school had about 500 applicants for 2 5th grade positions and usually the teachers who teach there have taught at other school districts then apply when a position opens usually from retirement. Our school district is one of the top rated in our state.
LiveWhatULove
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

That’s odd.
I agree with this regarding location, I live in a good school district. It’s not technically a requirement — but most of the teacher applicants, interviewing for the open jobs now, often will likely have master’s degrees, and to move to different positions, many experienced teachers are going back or went back to get their Master’s, so it would be a challenge to compete I think, and most principals all have doctorates in our district.

However if you move to a different district in the urban setting, just 40 minutes away, a bachelors would be adequate.
Anonymous 2

Unread post

Anonymous 10 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:24 pm
Anonymous 8 wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:46 pm

No NY state but not NY city. All the good school districts around require a masters and the struggling school districts don't but they also can't afford to reimburse to get a masters. Our school had about 500 applicants for 2 5th grade positions and usually the teachers who teach there have taught at other school districts then apply when a position opens usually from retirement. Our school district is one of the top rated in our state.
Has to be Nassau or Suffolk county.
Deleted User 876

Unread post

Maggie wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:50 pm I don’t know about your state but my license becomes inactive if I don’t use it. She may want to atleast work part time. Even if it’s PRN work.
My thoughts too. My daughter worked and raised three babies while she was going to school. No reason why an unmarried single woman can't work and go to school at the same time.
Deleted User 1344

Unread post

Diamepphyre wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 4:19 pm
Maggie wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:50 pm I don’t know about your state but my license becomes inactive if I don’t use it. She may want to atleast work part time. Even if it’s PRN work.i
My thoughts too. My daughter worked and raised three babies while she was going to school. No reason why an unmarried single woman can't work and go to school at the same time.
Exactly!
Locked Previous topicNext topic