Whenever Trump says ‘infested’, we know he’s talking about people of colour

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
DSamuels
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

29again wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:51 pm
iamanon wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:21 pm Really? So when Elijah used the word infested to describe the city in 1999 he was racist?
I would have to guess that in the past 20 years, a lot of words and phrases have become code somehow, that only the liberal democrats can hear. I know that language changes some over time, phrases gain or lose popularity, but this is getting ridiculous, when every other word in the dictionary is somehow a code word for something.

In all my years, I have NEVER seen the word infested being used as code for black & brown people.... I honestly believe that those who conveniently find all the racism all over are the ones who are the racists.
Never explain - your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway. - Elbert Hubbard

Keep up - Calm Down - Pay Attention
Mommabearof2
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

Ledina60 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:14 am
Mommabearof2 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:23 am I don't understand the problem with him telling the truth about Baltimore. It is an infested city. I'm glad he highlighted it. I live just outside of there and you can't pay me to go into certain areas of it. The people of Baltimore should use this as an opportunity to force their representatives to make real change. The real issue is why don't people want better, safer, cleaner places to raise their families? Do they not feel they are worthy of it?
I see you like that “infested” description too, just like Donnie.
Seriously? What the hell is wrong with some of you people. My opinion of Baltimore has nothing to do with Trump. I live just outside of Baltimore & D.C. my whole life and there are parts that I would NEVER go into. And when the hell did "infested" become code for "racist" Oh, that's right, it's not.

And I would appreciate it if you or anyone else for that matter not assume you know me or what I think.
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I thought he was referring to the rats and squalor. It's a shame we have people in the US living in those conditions and one party is yelling "don't look there, look over here at the racist". It needs fixed.
Carpy
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Francee89 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:30 pm
CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:57 am
water<wine wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:55 pm Trump January 2017

"And we have the drug lords in Mexico that are knocking the hell out of our country. They are sending drugs to Chicago, Los Angeles, and to New York. Up in New Hampshire – I won New Hampshire because New Hampshire is a drug-infested den"

pssst, New hampshire is 93% white. "infested" is not a dog whistle, no matter how bad you want it to be. now, if democrats automatically associate minorities with infestations, that is on them and them alone.
If he won NH because it's a drug infested den, why didn't he win Chicago, LA, and NY?
He didn’t win New Hampshire - another delusion or lie from him.
He won the primary.
Deleted User 876

Unread post

Ksal2349 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:30 pm https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... gresswomen

Because let’s be clear: when Trump talks about a place being “infested”, he means it’s inhabited by people who are not white, whether Ebola-stricken west Africa in 2014; Atlanta in 2017, home to more African-American graduates than any other city; “sanctuary cities” in 2018, with their offer of safe harbour for undocumented migrants; or the “squad” – four progressive congresswomen, all Americans, all women of colour – whom Trump said should go “back” to the “crime-infested places” to which, in his imagination, they belong.

Now he describes Baltimore, a city with proportionally one of the highest African-American populations in the US, as a “disgusting, rat and rodent infested mess”, holding the respected black congressman who represents the district, Elijah Cummings, responsible.
No, you choose to interpret it that way because it gives you an excuse to feel offended.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:26 pm
Francee89 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:30 pm
CockatooCrazyColt529 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:57 am

If he won NH because it's a drug infested den, why didn't he win Chicago, LA, and NY?
He didn’t win New Hampshire - another delusion or lie from him.
He won the primary.
Yes, and then proceeded to lose it to a Democrat in spite of it being a “drug infested den”. Why would the Mexican President care about his primary win or find it at all relevant to their conversation when he proceeded to win most other states in the Republican primary anyway?
Lemons
Donated
Donated
Princess
Princess

Unread post

Is there are reason Trump mentioned race with this tweet when Obama was president -
Our great African American President hasn't exactly had a positive impact on the thugs who are so happily and openly destroying Baltimore!
Why don't we discuss what impact our German-American president has had on Baltimore?

So someone Tweeted Trump and wrote "Can we drop @realDonaldTrump off in the middle of Baltimore so he can show Obama how it's done?" Trump replied " I would fix it fast!"

Can we discuss why Trump hasn't fixed it fast? Or has he realized it's really easy to be a big talker, but difference when you're actually in the position that you once criticized.

The big question is when is Trump's base going to figure out that Trump is a big talker with little to show for it. Still deflecting by criticizing others while accomplishing not significant.
Francee89
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Carpy wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:22 pm I thought he was referring to the rats and squalor. It's a shame we have people in the US living in those conditions and one party is yelling "don't look there, look over here at the racist". It needs fixed.
If it needs to be fixed and Trump is actually bothered by these issues, why is he employing noted Baltimore slum lord Jared Kushner in a senior role? Why isn’t he calling out Republicans with similarly terrible conditions in their districts who focus on issues besides them?
Deleted User 276

Unread post

Baltimore is certainly "good enough" for the Republican policy convention this year. While there are serious issues in Western Baltimore, perhaps a call out should be made to the rest of Baltimore as being a success story - so much so that the Republican party is holding their policy convention in Baltimore this year! Western Baltimore has had issues for decades. It's hard for me to understand the call out to those problems by this president as a response to Congressman Cummings. Why now? Why this? It's racist pure and simple and the fact that some white republicans don't feel it's so doesn't make it less racist. It's also an obvious diversion. Trump has decided to spend four days on the conditions in Baltimore (never referencing that the district as a whole is really successful while West Baltimore is not). What has he proposed to do about it? He says he can fix it so let him. He's not newly concerned, he doesn't want to fix, he doesn't care but it takes the conversation away from his transgressions and that he appreciates.
Locked Previous topicNext topic