Federal Judge Rules in Favor of Trump’s New Policy Banning Most Asylum-Seekers

Forum rules
Keep News and Politics about News and Politics.

Do not post full articles from other websites. Always link back to the source

Discuss things respectfully and take into account that each person has a different opinion.

Remember that this is a place for everyone to enjoy. Don’t try and run people off of the site. If you are upset with someone then utilize the foe feature.

Report when things come up.

Personal attacks are against guidelines however attacks need to be directed at a member on the forum for it to be against guidelines. Lying is not against guidelines, it’s hard for us to prove someone even did lie.

Once a topic is locked we consider the issue handled and no longer respond to new reports on the topic.
Deleted User 1186

Unread post

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/201 ... ngton.html

A federal judge decided on Wednesday not to block the Trump administration’s latest restriction on asylum requests by migrants fleeing violence in their home countries.

Judge Timothy J. Kelly of D.C. upheld the administration’s proposed rule, which was challenged on July 16 in a lawsuit brought by several migrant advocacy groups. Under the new rule, asylum-seekers who pass through another country on their way to the U.S. will be denied entry here, unless they were already rejected for asylum in that third country.
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

That should ease the numbers a bit.
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

If they were denied asylum in, say, Mexico, why would they be good candidates for asylum HERE?
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

They’re not denied asylum in Mexico.
29again wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:31 pm If they were denied asylum in, say, Mexico, why would they be good candidates for asylum HERE?
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Bring Them Home
Deleted User 276

Unread post

I'm surprised (a little seeing who the judge is) that this was upheld. I imagine that it will not survive appeal. It least I would hope. Guatemala and Mexico are not "safe third countries" and until/if we negotiate that, it shouldn't hold. It so disappointing but there is a least hope that the judge i the appeal will understand the rule of law.
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I thought it was clear that I was using hypotheticals. But regardless of which country denies asylum, why would that denial make them acceptable HERE in the States?
Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:14 pm They’re not denied asylum in Mexico.
29again wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:31 pm If they were denied asylum in, say, Mexico, why would they be good candidates for asylum HERE?
Expand your thinking

It’s possible to disagree with an article and not respond with a personal attack you know.
Try it.
Momto2boys973
Princess
Princess

Unread post

It’s not about being acceptable or not. It’s about Trump violating every international treaty the U.S has signed regarding asylum seekers.
What a “great” country, ready to tell the international community how they should act, passing treaties and then being the first ones to dismiss those treaties and those moral lessons. Is that what the self alleged “greatest country in the world” does? Talk the talk, accusing others of violating human rights, being a moral police on other nations, but then turning around and do just that when it’s convenient?
29again wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:43 pm I thought it was clear that I was using hypotheticals. But regardless of which country denies asylum, why would that denial make them acceptable HERE in the States?
Momto2boys973 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:14 pm They’re not denied asylum in Mexico.
❤️🇮🇱 עמ׳ ישראל חי 🇮🇱❤️
Bring Them Home
29again
Regent
Regent

Unread post

I'm pretty sure that just wanting a (better) job is not a reason to claim asylum.

quote=Momto2boys973 post_id=501173 time=1564027445 user_id=489]
It’s not about being acceptable or not. It’s about Trump violating every international treaty the U.S has signed regarding asylum seekers.
What a “great” country, ready to tell the international community how they should act, passing treaties and then being the first ones to dismiss those treaties and those moral lessons. Is that what the self alleged “greatest country in the world” does? Talk the talk, accusing others of violating human rights, being a moral police on other nations, but then turning around and do just that when it’s convenient?
29again wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:43 pm I thought it was clear that I was using hypotheticals. But regardless of which country denies asylum, why would that denial make them acceptable HERE in the States?

[/quote]
Expand your thinking

Try it.
Della
Princess
Princess

Unread post

29again wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:17 am I'm pretty sure that just wanting a (better) job is not a reason to claim asylum.

quote=Momto2boys973 post_id=501173 time=1564027445 user_id=489]

[/quote]

What does that have to do with what she said?
306/232

But I'm still the winner! They lied! They cheated! They stole the election!
jas
Donated
Donated
Princess Royal
Princess Royal

Unread post

msb64 wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:15 pm I'm surprised (a little seeing who the judge is) that this was upheld. I imagine that it will not survive appeal. It least I would hope. Guatemala and Mexico are not "safe third countries" and until/if we negotiate that, it shouldn't hold. It so disappointing but there is a least hope that the judge i the appeal will understand the rule of law.
Actually, Mexico is perfectly fine depending on the area. Yahoo ran an article the other day about a family who had their sights set on the US but was forced to stay in Mexico. So he got a job, worked, saved and runs his own company now. Not everything has to be in the US.
Locked Previous topicNext topic