Now he tells me...

NotTheMom

Unread post

I ordered an Ancestry DNA kit for my step son for his birthday. I thought my husband would love the idea, especially since SS's mom does not know her heritage at all. My husband thinks he is 50% Romanian, I just thought it would be cool to find out.

The kit came in the mail this morning and I showed it to my husband. THAT's when he tells me that he has always suspected SS may not be his biological child. He doesn't care if ss is actually his or not, he loves him and raised him. But it would make a terrible birthday present to find out your father is not your father.

I hope they accept returns....
RedBottoms

Unread post

I would be kinda miffed if my husband was paying for a kid not his. I would be mad he did not tell me this BEFORE I married him.I don't like secrets
VickyJoJo
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

The DNA analysis does not show paternity unless your husband also does it through the same company. Its focus is heritage. And the mix can vary depending on what genes “pop” more.

I had one done to show my roots - I’m adopted so it was really for fun. I was a bit gobsmacked to find a DNA relation (first cousin) but it doesn’t indicate paternal or maternal side. My point is just because your SS may not have Romanian in his results that does not preclude your DH from being his father.

Unread post

VickyJoJo wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:15 am The DNA analysis does not show paternity unless your husband also does it through the same company. Its focus is heritage. And the mix can vary depending on what genes “pop” more.

I had one done to show my roots - I’m adopted so it was really for fun. I was a bit gobsmacked to find a DNA relation (first cousin) but it doesn’t indicate paternal or maternal side. My point is just because your SS may not have Romanian in his results that does not preclude your DH from being his father.
Yes but if his test comes back showing he doesn't have any Romanian, then what are the chances it's his son?
Reedusstalker

Unread post

Guest wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:36 am
VickyJoJo wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:15 am The DNA analysis does not show paternity unless your husband also does it through the same company. Its focus is heritage. And the mix can vary depending on what genes “pop” more.

Yes but if his test comes back showing he doesn't have any Romanian, then what are the chances it's his son?
But per your words, your husband doesn't know 100% that he is Romanian. He is pretty sure but he doesn't know. My mom was pretty sure her dad was Native American. My BM did the dna thing you are talking about and we have no Native American blood in us. Just because he thinks he is Romanian doesn't mean your husband is.
AllofFive19
Regent
Regent

Unread post

Give it to your husband.
“Don’t let yesterday take up too much of today.” – Will Rogers
AubreeGrace17
Duchess
Duchess

Unread post

That sounds like a shitty situation. Good luck, op.
NotTheMom

Unread post

Reedusstalker wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:48 am
Guest wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:36 am

He knows he's romanian, just not sure of the percentage.
But per your words, your husband doesn't know 100% that he is Romanian. He is pretty sure but he doesn't know. My mom was pretty sure her dad was Native American. My BM did the dna thing you are talking about and we have no Native American blood in us. Just because he thinks he is Romanian doesn't mean your husband is.

Unread post

He knows he's Romanian, he's just not sure the percentage. He has a long line of family that still lives in Romania.
VickyJoJo
Baroness
Baroness

Unread post

Sorry - no guarantee that he has any in his blood either. It could be very small. And I know someone that thought he was irish.
Got a test and it revealed the deep dark family secret that the mom was not the daughter of an irishman but an italian (the family boarder at the time back in the day).

Look, this is a crap shoot to be sure given what your DH has said. Your DH should have thought about this possibility before saying anything to SS about an ancestryDNA test but that ship has sailed. Do and let the chips fall where they may.
Guest wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:11 am He knows he's Romanian, he's just not sure the percentage. He has a long line of family that still lives in Romania.
Locked Previous topicNext topic